New Event win conditions ?

Options
Unknown
edited December 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
With all the screw ups and upset folks that happened with the last event,would it be too much to ask if the devs posted the win conditions with this event.As in if rubber banding is going to be in effect how and what we need to do.

Personally it doesn't make sense to use a scoring system that encourages people to play your game less in order to win a tournament but if that is the system in place please be forthcoming with win conditions. Would hate to be in first place for most of the week again and wake up on the weekend unable to do any missions again.Doesn't make a lot of sense.

But with The Hulk many folks will ahem... Rage if they lose out on him due to messed up scoring.So please just let us know in advance and clearly with small words and crayons the rules.k thanx luv yahs

Comments

• Given that IceIX is the only employee that has posted regularly, and he's on vacation, don't hold your breath.
  • They usually do tell you, especially recently. This was from The Hunt patch notes:
    IceIX wrote:
    - Points per mission have a rubber banding effect depending on your overall placement (ignoring brackets). This means that if your score is lower than the average for the position that you're in, your missions will be worth more compared to others in that same position. IE, if Bracket Alpha's 1st place has 750 points and Bracket Zeta has 500, Zeta's 1st will gain more points from missions to equalize brackets. This will filter down to lower ratings as well, since naturally in that case, 50th would necessarily be lower in Zeta compared to Alpha. This has the effect of allowing brackets to push higher as a group to achieve the further out rewards.

Unless you are looking for something like: "Missions reset every 2 hours and decline in value by 1/2 every 4 minutes modulo your position in the rank." That is not going to happen.
  • I don't think they designed the rubberbanding to not allow people to get points at the end. I think they designed it to allow low and mid level players make more progress. The results at the highest level were most likely not intended. So they wouldn't be able to give you a layout of how to exploit the system when the problems that affected a small but vocal and heavily invested part of the community (from what I can tell, this mostly affected high level players that spent a lot of time playing) were a side effect of the system and not the design of the system. I do hope they managed to tweek the system to prevent that from happening again, but overall, I don't think the system was broken for as many people as it seemed by reading these forums. And I'd also understand the rage if that problem kept people from getting the Hulk.
  • I understand that.I didn't start reading the forums till after then hunt event was over.I was rank 1 in my Bracket most of the week then come Saturday did 2 missions then they were worth zero pts.then Sunday they were zero all day.I'm not opposed to rubberbanding to allow a casual player to get progression rewards but when some hard core players spend time and.money to try and get the punisher and now the hulk.the scoring system shouldn't penalize a loyal player for playing the game.
  • Enjinn wrote:
    I understand that.I didn't start reading the forums till after then hunt event was over.I was rank 1 in my Bracket most of the week then come Saturday did 2 missions then they were worth zero pts.then Sunday they were zero all day.I'm not opposed to rubberbanding to allow a casual player to get progression rewards but when some hard core players spend time and.money to try and get the punisher and now the hulk.the scoring system shouldn't penalize a loyal player for playing the game.

Agreed, and I don't think it was meant to. The fact that it did was unfortunate. Since they've had limited time to fix respond to it and fix it, it's doubtful that it will change for this event. In either case, they can't release a guide to taking advantage of the system if the system isn't functioning as intended. This is of course assuming that it wasn't functioning as intended, but I don't believe it was.

• Unless you are looking for something like: "Missions reset every 2 hours and decline in value by 1/2 every 4 minutes modulo your position in the rank." That is not going to happen.

That's exactly what I'd like to know. lol
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Enjinn wrote:
    I understand that.I didn't start reading the forums till after then hunt event was over.I was rank 1 in my Bracket most of the week then come Saturday did 2 missions then they were worth zero pts.then Sunday they were zero all day.I'm not opposed to rubberbanding to allow a casual player to get progression rewards but when some hard core players spend time and.money to try and get the punisher and now the hulk.the scoring system shouldn't penalize a loyal player for playing the game.

They were worth zero because you exhausted the repeatables. Not because of rubber banding.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kelbris wrote:
    Enjinn wrote:

They were worth zero because you exhausted the repeatables. Not because of rubber banding.
    The exhaustion was conflated with the points being so dependent on your placement on the ranking
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    I was in the top 25 for the last few minutes and none of my repeatables were below 15 points while I was actively playing them.

Some of which I had played 5 times in the last half hour of the tournament.
  • I don't expect an exact description of the algorithm.
    ...but what I would like is an official indication whether anything has changed since The Hunt.

If nothing's changed, then I know I don't have to play very much to place well...
  • That is all I'm asking.I love this game. But if the events rewards are going to be handed to out casual players,with hard core gamers being penalized at least give clear cut explanation of the rules so your main player base doesn't get hosed.
  • Enjinn wrote:
    That is all I'm asking.I love this game. But if the events rewards are going to be handed to out casual players,with hard core gamers being penalized at least give clear cut explanation of the rules so your main player base doesn't get hosed.

Agree. Maybe you can figure out the rules, but there still will be lots of players who make wrong assumptions, therefore loose points and get frustrated.
  • Ganghofer wrote:
    Enjinn wrote:
    That is all I'm asking.I love this game. But if the events rewards are going to be handed to out casual players,with hard core gamers being penalized at least give clear cut explanation of the rules so your main player base doesn't get hosed.

Agree. Maybe you can figure out the rules, but there still will be lots of players who make wrong assumptions, therefore loose points and get frustrated.
    this
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ganghofer wrote:
    Enjinn wrote:

And learn 2 play noob is never a compelling counter argument
  • I have a feeling we are all thinking the same thing here play light at first save missions and watch points values I am betting that this points system will be close to the hunt system with the holidays and all there just wasn't time to make major tweaks but that's just a guess