*** Captain Marvel (Modern) ***

Comments

• OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    So... We know how the AI is at times and I just wanted to play around with the seed teams a bit during Sentry PvP...

I don't know if it's confirmed already but Supernova will activate Energy Absorption...
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    HairyDave wrote:
    Not sure why but there is no animation for her photonic blast, sound plays but no animation. Hypersonic punch has an animation and sound.
    I get that on the first time her powers are used, seems to be okay after that.

Anyone else think she's a dead ringer for Natalie Dormer:
    Natalie+Dormer+VY3Qka8hSGKm.jpg

Margery>Moriarty>Marvel
    Makes sense.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    I said 5/3/5 earlier, but now that I play with her, her red is just really weak. 3/5/5.
  • I take back what i said, its def 5/5/3

Max marvel

5 red- deals 1494 and destroys all protect titles. (Very good since everyone use mags)

5 black- Deals 2504 and stuns the target for 2 turns.

3 yellow- if she takes 695 damage she generates 4 red.

Yellow is ok but not worth 5. MAxed at 5 it gives you 5 red and 3 black. Thats not bad, but you will have to take either red or black. doesn't seems worth it
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    True, but she won't be alone. And there are better Red Powers. With her Yellow fueling Red, you can use those powers sooner. Or, if you need to get rid of some protect tiles, you can use hers.

I rarely see more than 3 protect tiles out against me at one time these days so I don't see the value in going 5 in Red. But I agree that it is either 3 or 5. No point in going 4.
  • orionpeace wrote:
    True, but she won't be alone. And there are better Red Powers. With her Yellow fueling Red, you can use those powers sooner. Or, if you need to get rid of some protect tiles, you can use hers.

I rarely see more than 3 protect tiles out against me at one time these days so I don't see the value in going 5 in Red. But I agree that it is either 3 or 5. No point in going 4.

Very good point. I think you made me change my mind once again lol
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    edited July 2014
    3/5/5. Lotsa ranting, offensive viewpoints and stuff.
    Let's see. The current characters that produce protect tiles:

IM 35: yeah, no, skip this step. Caps out at 4.

Black Panther: producing more than 3 protect tiles will only take him half an eternity. Caps out at 5.

Loki: can turn enemy strike tiles into friendly protect tiles, but he's not seen outside of his own PvP and LRs. His health is admirably low.

Bullseye: trash tier, do not mention him to me ever, be it PvP or PvE-wise, he's a character with only 2,5 weak 'abilities': high crit multiplier, super-low health and super-weak but spammy protect tiles, only really useful against match damage and World Rupture. Oh, he has a black, too?
    Yes, scaled Bullseye is annoying in PvE, but only annoying at most even at level 200 and unable to stop your abilities anyway. No limit on protect tiles though. (Yes! This truly calls for maxing out Carol's red, just like maxing IM 40's yellow so it can never be realistically used!)

Spider-Man: caps out at 4 protect tiles. You never battle him outside of the Simulator and Bad is Good style events.

Falcon: decent protect tiles, and a lot of them. Requires purple AP, and a lot of it. Not used on defense in PvP which means you battle him almost never. Low health, easily killed before getting 12 purple. Caps out at 11-12 tiles.

Captain America: 2* - never gonna happen, so forget it; 3*: very decent protection, requires a lot of valuable blue AP, a rare sight in PvP though and not a common one in PvE either. I am trying to imagine a situation where enemy Cap puts out more than 3 protect tiles (3 successful blues or one successful lvl 4-5 yellow) and I fail.

IW: extinct in the wild and only preserved in Walking Your Path Sanctuary and few others. In PvE, rarely seen, unable to do ANYTHING without AP-feeding goons. Only makes one protect tile per 13 blue AP.

Classic Magneto: finally, someone you see a lot somewhere (in PvP), and who can spam protect tiles on defense. No cap.
    So, in case AI Mags has been giving you trouble in PvP with his blue, you probably 'need' Carol's red. Haha no, just kidding.

3/5/5 for Marvel all the way because red is the most usable colour in-game.
    Compare the two most represented colours.
    Green: Thor, Punisher, Patch, Sentry, GSBW.
    Red: Punisher, Patch, Sentry, lazyCap, Magneto (super cheap though), She-Hulk, Human Torch, Psylocke.
    Other greens and reds are not desirable to use over these. So, you're really going to spend the best or second best colour in game to get rid of 3+ enemy protect tiles. But whatever were you doing with red AP before that? Huh? Huh? icon_eek.gif

I will stand corrected whenever they add some truly mind-boggling protect abilities on strong and commonly seen characters and when defense will begin to matter anything at all, but only then icon_e_biggrin.gif

Finally, I think Marvel's red can be used sometimes because she can charge red so fast, but only as an afterthought and a 1500 health finisher a la Chemical Reaction since it's so cheap. Rant over!
  • TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    So, has it been decided who runs with Cap?
    Patch/Falcon?
    LThor/Fury?
    Daken/anyone?
  • orionpeace wrote:

Actually red should never be 5, only 3 or 4. 4 at least gives you a damage bump but "destroy all protect tiles" at 5 is incredibly weak. 3/5/5 for me all the way as red is weak in comparison to other red abilities and I'd rather get a boost towards her black than get extra damage for a move I'll rarely use.
  • So, has it been decided who runs with Cap?
    Patch/Falcon?
    LThor/Fury?
    Daken/anyone?
    I'm imagining HT and Daken. With those two, torch doesn't tank any colors and gets green and red from daken and marvel to fuel his abilities.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    So... We know how the AI is at times and I just wanted to play around with the seed teams a bit during Sentry PvP...

I don't know if it's confirmed already but Supernova will activate Energy Absorption...

Wow, if this is true, that practically provides a 50% rebate on AP for casting Supernova.

Yes, Sentry/Daken is faster. But Sentry/Marvel red spam sounds like it could be fun.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:

Wow, if this is true, that practically provides a 50% rebate on AP for casting Supernova.

Yes, Sentry/Daken is faster. But Sentry/Marvel red spam sounds like it could be fun.
    There's also very little stopping you from using Sentry/Marvel/Daken during Starfall and Simulator.
    Edit: Tested by blowing up my own Captain Marvel. Forgot to state that previously.
  • I said 5/3/5 earlier, but now that I play with her, her red is just really weak. 3/5/5.

Her red isn't really about damage, it's her ability to remove protect tiles which makes it strong not raw damage. Because if you face someone like falcon that just put a whole bunch of protect tiles or if loki changes all your strike tiles to protect tiles, you are going to wish you have her red maxed out. Heck we are already familiar with how frequently bullseye puts out protect tiles. Heck spiderman only puts out a max four protect tiles with his passive. Lazy Captain America (2 star ain't bad either) with his yellow and blue will put down protect tiles for huge damage mitigation. Black Panther's blue will put down protect tiles everywhere if given a chance. cmags also puts down protect tiles along with the 1 star ironman.

Given the need to limit damage to keep playing with the true healing changes. you are probably going to encounter people using protect tiles whilst they are playing in verses. There's nothing more amusing than have a bucket ton of protect tiles whilst your enemy does next to no damage to you. Still this kid of player is rare in verses, but I'm seeing more and more of them

Now given that, the ability for C.Marvel to remove all protect tiles! I for one do not regard her red as being weak! Weak in damage use, but in potential usefulness no!!!

And the final kicker, the more protect tiles there are on the board, her red ability has the chance to cause cascades! Not as reliably as Storms various abilities but still!
  • Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    I wonder if getting her 5 yellow and just leveling her enough so that most things reach that threshold would be worth doing or not. Not that I'll have 5 yellows anytime this year.
  • I said 5/3/5 earlier, but now that I play with her, her red is just really weak. 3/5/5.

Her red isn't really about damage, it's her ability to remove protect tiles which makes it strong not raw damage. Because if you face someone like falcon that just put a whole bunch of protect tiles or if loki changes all your strike tiles to protect tiles, you are going to wish you have her red maxed out. Heck we are already familiar with how frequently bullseye puts out protect tiles. Heck spiderman only puts out a max four protect tiles with his passive. Lazy Captain America (2 star ain't bad either) with his yellow and blue will put down protect tiles for huge damage mitigation. Black Panther's blue will put down protect tiles everywhere if given a chance. cmags also puts down protect tiles along with the 1 star ironman.

Given the need to limit damage to keep playing with the true healing changes. you are probably going to encounter people using protect tiles whilst they are playing in verses. There's nothing more amusing than have a bucket ton of protect tiles whilst your enemy does next to no damage to you. Still this kid of player is rare in verses, but I'm seeing more and more of them

Now given that, the ability for C.Marvel to remove all protect tiles! I for one do not regard her red as being weak! Weak in damage use, but in potential usefulness no!!!

And the final kicker, the more protect tiles there are on the board, her red ability has the chance to cause cascades! Not as reliably as Storms various abilities but still!
    I think you are allowing anecdotal evidence to cloud your judgment. Of the characters that you mentioned none fulfill the following two criteria for PVP:

1. Appear frequently on teams
    2. Produce enough tiles to gain significant value in the jump from "destroy 3" to "destroy all"

Loki and Falcon are rare outside of their own tournies. Panther, Spidey, and Cap can all be countered just fine with the level 3 version of the ability because none are very likely to produce more than maybe 3-5 at one time. Even if they did, and you felt like you HAD to get rid of all of them, Photonics Blasts only costs 7 and you can just cast it again.

Even in PVE, where Bullseye is a frequent opponent, level 5 still lacks usefulness because he has such low HP. The best strategy against him has always been to just down him with abilities. Even if he sticks around for a while, I suspect you are overestimating how often he creates more than 3-5 tiles as well.
  • I wish it was Phylla-Vell and we had a separate Ms. Marvel.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    I really hope they'd focus-test their art more. Never mind her "everything is zappity-sparkling" ability animations. That's relatively great. But, Marv's static in-fight pose looks like she's simultaneously constipated and confused, as if she'd just personally discovered constipation: "Can't s---. WHAT THE S---?!"
  • HailMary wrote:
    I really hope they'd focus-test their art more. Never mind her "everything is zappity-sparkling" ability animations. That's relatively great. But, Marv's static in-fight pose looks like she's simultaneously constipated and confused, as if she'd just personally discovered constipation: "Can't s---. WHAT THE S---?!"

Totally agree with you...
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    HailMary wrote:
    That's assuming you see it.

I often don't.
  • HailMary wrote:
    Her art all around is weird and hugely disappointing. I get that they're pushing her new comic and her new look and all that, but you know what doesn't help comic sales? That. Whatever that is in the game. The outfit, the hair, the face...Carol, sweetie, we want to like you but it ain't working. I'm sorry. It's just not.

Also did anyone else notice that her icon on the battle skills tab looks an awful lot like the WWF Championship Belt circa 1985? She better watch out. "Rowdy" Roddy Pipper's going to hit her with a steel chair and take that thing back. icon_razz.gif