Ms. Captain and The Rogue

Options
Heaka75
Heaka75 Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
edited July 2014 in Speculation and Concepts
I admit that I have always been more of a Marvel cartoon/movie guy rather than a comics guy so I am calling upon my MPQ family to answer some questions.

1. I have only ever heard Carol Danvers referred to as Ms. Marvel. When did she get promoted to Captain?

2. Didn't Rogue take Ms. Marvel's powers and put her in a coma?

3. How come Rogue kept the ability to fly when all her other powers fade over time?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    1.) 2 years ago or so. Marvel basically just needed to do a new book titled Captain Marvel so they could keep the trademark so DC couldn't snatch it up again for their "Shazam" version. They gave her this new costume at the same time.

2.) Yep. They fixed that whole situation so long ago though that I don't even remember how it happened. Danvers came back and joined the Avengers again and Rogue lost the Marvel powers, but still has her own original ones.

3.) See #2. She had touched Danvers for too long ( icon_e_surprised.gif ), so she kept her powers of flight/strength/invulnerability "permanently". Again, she can't fly or any of that now. She did gain control over her powers finally though, so she can touch people without hurting them now if she wants to.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Heaka75 wrote:
    I admit that I have always been more of a Marvel cartoon/movie guy rather than a comics guy so I am calling upon my MPQ family to answer some questions.

1. I have only ever heard Carol Danvers referred to as Ms. Marvel. When did she get promoted to Captain?

3. How come Rogue kept the ability to fly when all her other powers fade over time?

Apparently, they're going with the Carol Danvers storyline, who was also known as "Captain Marvel" at one point in time (see wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Danvers)

portrait_incredible.jpg
  • Cragger
    Cragger Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If we're only sticking to Marvel continuity, there have been many "Captain Marvel" characters.

Captain Marvel (Marvel Comics), several Marvel Comics characters:
      Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell), a member of the Kree race
    250px-Captain_Marvel_29.jpg
    Monica Rambeau, also known as Photon and Pulsar
    200px-Captain_Marvel_special_1.jpg
    Genis-Vell, also known as Legacy and Photon
    250px-Capitanmarvel3.png
    Phyla-Vell, also known as Quasar
    250px-PhylaMartyr.png
    Captain Marvel (Khn'nr), a Skrull posing as Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell)
    250px-Capmarvelskrull.jpg
    Mahr Vehl, the Ultimate Universe version of the Marvel Comics character "Captain Marvel"
    250px-Mahr-Vehl.jpg
    Noh-Varr, formerly known as Marvel Boy but used the Captain Marvel alias in the Dark Avengers, Now known as Protector in Avengers Academy
    155px-Protector_HCV.jpg
    Carol Danvers, also known as Ms. Marvel
    250px-Ms.Marvel1.jpg
  • Unknown
    Options

2.) Yep. They fixed that whole situation so long ago though that I don't even remember how it happened.

Oh, I remember now. It was that whole Siege Perilous business, wasn't it? Eh. Don't even ask. Short version: magic portal that reset Rogue's powers, turned Storm into a kid, turned Psylocke asian, and other crazy things...
  • Unknown
    Options
    This is a character I was very much looking forward to, but I would have greatly preferred Carol in her more iconic Ms. Marvel costume, the black with the yellow bolt across the front. This one is a little too She-Captain-America-y and the model in the game looks odd, like something out of the '60s. Can't say I'm overjoyed by her powers either (do I really need a dedicated anti-Bullseye/Spidey/Falcon?), but it is good to have her finally represented in the game. Long overdue. Just wish it was more of a wow overall. Hopefully Rogue gets better treatment in the future.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    This is a character I was very much looking forward to, but I would have greatly preferred Carol in her more iconic Ms. Marvel costume, the black with the yellow bolt across the front. This one is a little too She-Captain-America-y and the model in the game looks odd, like something out of the '60s. Can't say I'm overjoyed by her powers either (do I really need a dedicated anti-Bullseye/Spidey/Falcon?), but it is good to have her finally represented in the game. Long overdue. Just wish it was more of a wow overall. Hopefully Rogue gets better treatment in the future.

Yeah, I like the Ms. Marvel costume better, too - but that might just be because it's more from nostalgia.

I know it's sometimes talked about in the Marvel Heroes community that Marvel sometimes requests game developers to use specific versions of characters in order to sort of advertise what the current version is - I wonder if that's the case here.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nemek wrote:
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    This is a character I was very much looking forward to, but I would have greatly preferred Carol in her more iconic Ms. Marvel costume, the black with the yellow bolt across the front. This one is a little too She-Captain-America-y and the model in the game looks odd, like something out of the '60s.

Yeah, I like the Ms. Marvel costume better, too - but that might just be because it's more from nostalgia.

I know it's sometimes talked about in the Marvel Heroes community that Marvel sometimes requests game developers to use specific versions of characters in order to sort of advertise what the current version is - I wonder if that's the case here.

That makes good sense, I just wish the version they were pushing wasn't kind of lame. Silly Marvel.
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nemek wrote:
    Thugpatrol wrote:

Same here. I'll always like her old costume better. I give it another 3 years. It will be back in comics.
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nemek wrote:
    Thugpatrol wrote:

Marvel needs to approve everything.

For Marvel Heroes the latest is that for their release of Nova, Marvel has told them that they need to use Sam Alexander. Marvel Heroes is hoping that they can get approval to release a Richard Rider costume at a later date. They even need to get approval for names of moves/abilities and how those moves look like.

I recall Ice mentioning that they need Marvel approval on what cover art they can use. It wouldn't surprise me if D3 also had to get approval for move names and move artwork.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While I don't like the actual comic cover, I was actually elated that they didn't just reskin moonstone. It seems that she would have her own animations and all.

And the military uniform gives Carol a certain charm to it. I imagine she would pair well with Cpt A side by side.

In short, I like it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Short version: magic portal that reset Rogue's powers, turned Storm into a kid, turned Psylocke asian, and other crazy things...

Hasn't Psylocke been Asian since the early 90's when she did the body swap with that Hand chick?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yes. In the early 90s, after she went through the Siege Perilous. Then the body swapping thing was tagged on by a different writer years later to explain her suddenly being asian.

You're sorta right though. Looking back, apparently she didn't come out of the portal asian, but the Hand found her after she popped out of it and then somehow turned her into an asian, in ways that the writer at the time never bothered to explain.

Comics!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Looking back, apparently she didn't come out of the portal asian, but the Hand found her after she popped out of it and then somehow turned her into an asian, in ways that the writer at the time never bothered to explain. Comics!

I was reading a lot of comics around that time and to be perfectly honest I never really understood that whole business. It was just kind of one of those comic things that happened and five minutes later everyone just took it for granted and went on their merry way as if it had always been so. But they new Psylocke was badass where as the old one was pretty frumpy, so everyone basically gave it the thumbs up.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey, don't forget they need something if they want to do a 2* Carol Danvers. That will most likely be a Ms. Marvel variant. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    The new Captain Marvel costume (and updated name), which was designed by Jamie McKelvie, has been a huge hit with fans who actually read the comic. It'll be around for quite some time. The last, oddly cheesecake-y Ms. Marvel costume never really suited the character's personality.

And I don't see the Captain America similarity at all, other than having red and blue. It has far more in common with the Kree Captain Marvel's costume -- that of the alien who was the source of her powers in the first place.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd have liked to see this cover used, as drawn by McKelvie, but the decision to render the blue as black would be a bit odd in the context of the rest of her game art.

tumblr_mbw49lMP0z1qb0qmuo1_r1_400.jpg
  • Heaka75
    Heaka75 Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I want to thank everybody for the info. I knew I could count on you guys. Have a good weekend.
  • Unknown
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    The new Captain Marvel costume (and updated name), which was designed by Jamie McKelvie, has been a huge hit with fans who actually read the comic. It'll be around for quite some time. The last, oddly cheesecake-y Ms. Marvel costume never really suited the character's personality.

And I don't see the Captain America similarity at all, other than having red and blue. It has far more in common with the Kree Captain Marvel's costume -- that of the alien who was the source of her powers in the first place.

Well, I haven't read the comic. All I have to go by is that cover and the model in the game, and I'm not really digging it. The Cap comment came from the general military feel of her look, and yes the colors. Just gave me that kind of vibe. And I really don't like whatever they did with the red around the top on her in-game model. Is it supposed to look like an extra piece like that? On the cover it just looks like part of her costume that's a different color.

I do get the old Kree Captain Marvel connection, and maybe that's part of the problem. It feels old. It looks like something from another era. The Ms Marvel costume was certainly sexier, but I'm not sure calling it cheesecake is fair. It's not like she's Emma Frost with her goods hanging out for the world to see. She's wearing what's basically a bedazzled one piece swimsuit, just like Psylocke and others do. She's a comic book heroine. It's okay for her to have a little flash, a little sex appeal. She's not a bimbo, she kicks ****. I just don't find this new one all that aesthetically pleasing.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The trick there though is that "people who actually read the comic" is a relatively small and rapidly shrinking group of people. She just had her book relaunched because of bad sales and it's looking like this one is going to be dead within a year too. They could just as easily ditch this costume next time they try giving her a series and want to take a different approach.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Heaka75 wrote:

She was actually a Colonel the Air Force. The "captain" title is an homage to the original Captain Marvel, but it's a bit of a demotion.