Lost in Noobland

Options
Unknown
edited December 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
Seems that tanking is working too well. I've been really busy so didn't have time to make a serious run for any of the lightning rounds and just went in for the participation prize on most of them with a Bagman followup.

Before the lightning rounds I was seeing mostly triple digit Rags. Now I started No Holds Barred and all of my opponents are under lv 20 with a lot of single digits and 1*s. This will be great for ISO farming but I feel bad for all the people when the retaliation comes up with a 100/88/80 3* team.

Comments

• True, but you shouldn't be hitting them multiple times. Losses are a part of the way the game is set up, so not a big deal.
  • You get ISO, the newbies who beat up your level 1 teams get ISO, and the people trying to game the system suddenly make the same frantic realization you do: Uh-oh, these guys are worth barely any progression points and since I've been gaming the system heavily instead of playing the game "properly" by challenging teams at my level, I might not be able to able to place! Maybe I should've played the game the "right" way!

I'd say it's one of the few aspects of the matchmaking/rankings system that actually works close to the way it should. Even though it was clearly never designed that way on purpose.
  • This is actually how I ended up in 1st with over 800 points at the end of the previous No Holds Barred. It ended at 9AM for me. I started about 9PM the night before after tanking a few lightning rounds. All 1* characters under level 30. Although, I did notice that as I started getting up around 600, the opponents starting jumping up in terms of level, so I guess the game adjusts on the fly a bit. I only got hit 3 times though over the 12 hours I was in it, all at the end. I'm going to have to be more careful to land in 2nd or top 25 on this next one. Being 100+ points in first was not anticipated last time.
  • Pretty much all of the teams with 0 or 25 points, a L20 character and two single digit characters are seeder AI teams. Maybe one day someone will actually make up a list with all of their names. I've seen a few new names since last patch as well.

The only one that's actually scary is Battle_Angel -- who generally has three L70 or 80 characters (in Lightning rounds one is the featured villain, Thor, and C Storm).

And yes, the matchmaking is dynamic, and it won't show you any matches below a certain point threshold anymore (I think it's 5, but I'm not sure -- you can still make matches for less if you have one target that you've left alone for a long time, or if the person lost a lot of points since you pulled them up, but those are edge cases). I'm reasonably sure that if your MMR would only display matches below this level it automatically bumps you up.

Maybe this also explains the issue with getting stuck in matchmaking... perhaps the people being displayed are all forcibly bumped players, relegating everyone who tanks into their own little special he... er, "group". Dunno.
  • B@CON_MAGIC is a good egg of a seeder AI.
  • HAIGUYSDOOM
    HIPDUDGLASSES
    Kicksthatkick
  • Is it possible to yield to those guys and give them more points? It would be funny if people collectively did that and drove them up the leaderboard.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Is it possible to yield to those guys and give them more points? It would be funny if people collectively did that and drove them up the leaderboard.
    That would be hilarious. I used to play an MMO about 15 years ago called Asheron's Call where a group of people got the starter area bunnies to kill them and leveled up the bunnies, lots of fun.

I think it would be extremely hard to pull off here due to the number of users that would have to buy in on it. Considering we represent 1% of the game population, if everyone here started doing it we'd still have to expect 99 users killing the seeds for every 1 of us submitting to them.
  • adamLmpq wrote:
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Is it possible to yield to those guys and give them more points? It would be funny if people collectively did that and drove them up the leaderboard.
    That would be hilarious. I used to play an MMO about 15 years ago called Asheron's Call where a group of people got the starter area bunnies to kill them and leveled up the bunnies, lots of fun.

I think it would be extremely hard to pull off here due to the number of users that would have to buy in on it. Considering we represent 1% of the game population, if everyone here started doing it we'd still have to expect 99 users killing the seeds for every 1 of us submitting to them.

Doesn't this assume they even show up on the leaderboard? I mean, they aren't real players so wouldn't the devs have them barred from being part of a bracket? Admittedly, this assumes they took the time to think that one all the way out.
  • If you start pushing your score up, you will, eventually, meet tougher competition.
  • The seed teams don't ever change in score. You can beat one with 25 points repeatedly and it continues to have 25 points.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,315 Site Admin
    Options
    Zathrus wrote:
    The seed teams don't ever change in score. You can beat one with 25 points repeatedly and it continues to have 25 points.
    They have a base score, yes. I don't *think* they have a cap. But they get beat on regularly enough that I don't think it would be possible without the stated concerted effort to do much of anything with the seeds.