Shield Simulator- Max levels needed to get to 2300?

Options
So, I have a collection of maxed 2 star characters and a level 140 hulk and 102 punisher. I thought i'd try to push to the 2300 score to get that red cover for punisher.

I played my best teams, using that hulk and punisher as needed and was able to get up to 2150. Then the level 110's, 130's and 166's started showing up. I could beat a few here and there, but not enough to push past 2150. I even tried maxing out a bunch of boosts, just to get over the hump. But no joy.

So, 2 questions:

1. Is a maxed out group just needed to beat those at the top?

2. I don't really understand how the MMR works, but I wonder if I'm facing these levels because of my level 140 hulk? What would have happened if I only played my 2 stars?

Thanks.

Comments

• kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you want to get to 2300, you're probably pushing a bit too early. The top of my Shield simulator is at about 2200+ currently which means that if you're trying to reach 2300 you're an instant target for anyone taking the shield sim seriously. You should be able to get to 2300 on the last 2 days as you will find more players passing 2300.

Who you're matchmade with depends on 2 things

1. your win/loss ratio from pvp. You've been on a winning rampage all the way up to 2000+ so that's gone up and you will be match made with higher level teams. Similarly, if you lose consistently over a period of time, you will face lower levelled teams (retreating does not count)
    2. That magical invisible line you cross when you reach a certain threshold. so where you are now, you're probably visible to everyone and you can only find people with high levels around you.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What kidicarus said - I think your MMR keeps you pretty safe until you're far enough ahead of the pack that you "stick out" when you become a visible target to more and more people. I suspect it is more of a progression than a binary, but he may be right - certainly many times I've played I hit a particular number (around 800 in the normal character-paired PVPs) and I get pounded down 50-100 points every time I fight.

I'm in a slightly smaller boat as you - ton of 2*s and a 112 Hulk. Right now I'm hovering around 1800 and getting dinged every so often for 10-30 points.

Give it a little time for more people to catch up and make another push.
  • Unknown
    Options
    kidicarus wrote:
    If you want to get to 2300, you're probably pushing a bit too early. The top of my Shield simulator is at about 2200+ currently which means that if you're trying to reach 2300 you're an instant target for anyone taking the shield sim seriously. You should be able to get to 2300 on the last 2 days as you will find more players passing 2300.

Ahh, so would you say a good strategy is to win a few games and slowly work up my score till the last 2 days? Then push like mad?
    Who you're matchmade with depends on 2 things

1. your win/loss ratio from pvp. You've been on a winning rampage all the way up to 2000+ so that's gone up and you will be match made with higher level teams. Similarly, if you lose consistently over a period of time, you will face lower levelled teams (retreating does not count)

This is another thing I've wondered, is there an MMR per event? For instance, does what I do in God of Lies carry over to the shield sim?

Thanks for the detailed response.
  • Unknown
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    What kidicarus said - I think your MMR keeps you pretty safe until you're far enough ahead of the pack that you "stick out" when you become a visible target to more and more people. I suspect it is more of a progression than a binary, but he may be right - certainly many times I've played I hit a particular number (around 800 in the normal character-paired PVPs) and I get pounded down 50-100 points every time I fight.

I'm in a slightly smaller boat as you - ton of 2*s and a 112 Hulk. Right now I'm hovering around 1800 and getting dinged every so often for 10-30 points.

Give it a little time for more people to catch up and make another push.

I was so jazzed when I got lucky in season 2 and got two hulk covers, after I leveled him up a bit It seems like so many more left me alone due to a 100+ level hulk icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    we had people in my bracket hit 2400 a day or two ago, the pack kind of ate them, but there's a ton at 2100 now. if you just need the cover, climbing at around 4am est is pretty dead. you'll get hit back down, but you'll (hopefully) get your covers.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I partially disagree with some of the advice here. Yes, you need to wait till there's people high enough to get points off of. That has already happened. But if you want until the last couple days, especially the last day, there will be more people actively playing the sim for the season score, which means more attacks. I'd try to push now.
  • Unknown
    Options
    bloodwars wrote:
    we had people in my bracket hit 2400 a day or two ago, the pack kind of ate them, but there's a ton at 2100 now. if you just need the cover, climbing at around 4am est is pretty dead. you'll get hit back down, but you'll (hopefully) get your covers.

But my issue wasn't that I couldn't beat them fast enough, it was just that the levels I was forced to face (Mostly 166's) were too much for me to be able to beat.
  • Unknown
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    I partially disagree with some of the advice here. Yes, you need to wait till there's people high enough to get points off of. That has already happened. But if you want until the last couple days, especially the last day, there will be more people actively playing the sim for the season score, which means more attacks. I'd try to push now.

Hmm, if that's the case I think i'm just screwed this season until I can level up some more. Thanks for your input icon_e_smile.gif
  • GrimSkald
    Options
    itsbroken wrote:
    bloodwars wrote:

But my issue wasn't that I couldn't beat them fast enough, it was just that the levels I was forced to face (Mostly 166's) were too much for me to be able to beat.

I definitely saw more 3* teams as I got higher in the rankings, relatively. I was still able to find 2* teams if I skipped - I don't think I even had to go into the negatives for ISO-8. My current plan is to creep up until tomorrow or Friday, then see if I can make a push for the final 200-300 points (I want both PunPun and Doom, if possible.) If I can't make it, I'll back off and try again -- maybe I'll make use of shields, we'll see.

Check out "Shield bouncing" elsewhere in the forms - it may be useful if you have the points to spare. I really don't think it's too late.
  • Unknown
    Options
    scottee wrote:

I dunno, I spent the last couple of hours of season 2 grinding hundreds of points and suffered maybe two attacks the whole time (compared to being barraged with attacks when I tried to unshield and climb in the regular PvP event going on at the same time). There's so many unshielded people in the shield sim, even on the last day, that I don't think you have to worry too much about attacks. You can outpace attacks.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm in the 1800-1900 range at the moment using a ** roster (and not even capped out at that) but I can't seem to see anything other than 130-166's rosters anymore. Spent a few hundred skipping and kept seeing the same people.

Is the only option to start tanking or do I still have time to wait it out?
  • GrimSkald
    Options
    My guess is once you get high enough in points it starts taking MMR less into consideration when making your actual matches. I kind of hit the wall, myself - kept getting knocked down and not finding good fights to bring myself back up. Once I was down to the 1700s again, I decided to heck with it and stopped trying - unfortunately I don't know if it would have gotten easier on the last day.

I did poke at it a bit on Sunday and did not see any good matches, but I will say I didn't try hard --I had given up by that time. Pity, I would have liked the red PunPun cover, but it's not worth getting keyed up over.