D3- Can you change Seasons to enable sustainable play?

Options
2»

Comments

• ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Being a bit more liberal with the 3-star tokens would be really nice. Most people who can do that well in an event probably want a guaranteed 3-star or two instead of a 10-pack of small chances.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can you also not run LR, PvP and PvE at the same time. Before True Healing (TM) (R) (C) (I mean come on devs, do you even take such a stupid name seriously yourselves?), this was possible, just. Now I'm struggling to stay ahead in any of them and have for the first time ever actually not gone into a couple of LR's and some Simulator, just so I can try and save some of my characters. Before they then get wiped out again. And I have to wait for them to heal.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Player: here's some good ideas on how to prevent burnout.
    D3: LOL, thanks, but we'd better run PvE/PvP ending at same time several times in row, so people finally get that they must buy our health packs or GTFO.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maybe they could run Season 4, Season 5, and Season 6 at the same time.

Season 4 -- non-stop Hero Lightning Rounds for a month.
    Season 5 -- non-stop Villain Lightning Rounds for a month.
    Season 6 -- PvP events, this time with a required 2* character in each 3 day event for a month, with Bagman in every third event.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Maybe they could run Season 4, Season 5, and Season 6 at the same time.

Season 4 -- non-stop Hero Lightning Rounds for a month.
    Season 5 -- non-stop Villain Lightning Rounds for a month.
    Season 6 -- PvP events, this time with a required 2* character in each 3 day event for a month, with Bagman in every third event.

awesome! the worst paet about this idea is that some people might actually accept this as a challenge and end up driving themselves absolutley bonkers...or worse

kitty it though..as long as they are buying health packs...working as intended... am i right???

marc
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Unfortunately most companies get short sighted when money is coming in and they start chasing the dollar. The current game structure obviously is making them money, and having people play less would clearly lead to less money. It's very difficult for these companies to recognize that sacrificing money now, leads to more later. Which is probably a reason they went silent and weren't going to give out compensation for server issues (a couple months ago); "if we give away tokens, we might lose money on people who were going to buy them". Instead it built some goodwill among the player base, until the next big deal happened...

1. Positive word of mouth brings in more customers.
    2. When customers like your game, even more people will reward that by making purchases.
    3. You build a sense of community and players get invested and less likely to leave.
  • Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    emaker27 wrote:
    Unfortunately most companies get short sighted when money is coming in and they start chasing the dollar. The current game structure obviously is making them money, and having people play less would clearly lead to less money. It's very difficult for these companies to recognize that sacrificing money now, leads to more later.

I really hope you're wrong about this, but I fear you're right after reading those "mythical $1 ADRPU" articles. I really feel that this game would be far better served by having half the revenue-per-user but 4x the userbase.

I'm also really surprised they haven't implemented some kind of vanity item yet. There are tons of people for whom being "free-to-play"/not pay-to-win is a big point of pride. I think a lot of those people would be happy to support the game if they didn't feel offering that support somehow jeopardized their "hardmode" status.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Great post. All of those things caused me to cut back on my play from about 10k the first two seasons to just 5k and done now. My alliance fought really hard the first two seasons, but ended up in the 120-150 range, which meant **** rewards compared to the awesome **** Fury covers that all the super players/alliances got for top 100. Between the discouragement of that and burnout, our alliance is basically falling apart now. 1/4 of our players dropped out and most of the rest, like me, play half as much now. We can't even hardly find anyone to refill our roster spots. Finally just opened it up to the public so any nude or super casual player can join, 'cause who cares anyway now. It really sucks, because I really do like a lot about the game and we had a lot of fun with our alliance before.

I don't even know if I'm going to try for anything in season 4. The game is just so constant. It's either play all you can all the time or there's no point. Everything in this game is based on competition, and all the competitions are basically based on volume of play. If they won't take any of the great suggestions from the original post in this thread, then it would at least be nice if there was a section of the game you could play for fun independent of the seasons and competitions. Similar to the main part of games like Puzzle and Dragon, which btw is immensely more successful than this game. I'll hold out hope that they can at least use one of your suggestions it would make things much better, but don't really have much faith.

Can't wait until Dragon Age Inquisition comes out! It'll prob be bye bye Marvel after that unless anything changes.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I wish that the Simulator score did not cause your overall score to drop constantly. That is by far the most annoying thing that peeves me. I wake up after a good day of grinding to see that I've lost 100 to 300 points. Also when I'm winning 15 points in the match I just completed, why do I lose 50 directly after from a red node. Please fix this D3. I don't mind shielding in character driven events, but not the Simulator too. Makes the grind so unrewarded at the end of the day. I suggest making season play like PvE. Where your ultimate score is tallied and you don't lose season points from losses. The game would still be competitive, but you would definitely see more up and comers gaining rewards vice all the veterans or big ballers who can afford to pay to max out characters instead of earning.
  • Unknown
    Options
    FR3L4NCER wrote:
    Also when I'm winning 15 points in the match I just completed, why do I lose 50 directly after from a red node

If you're attacking anyone for less than 25 points you're doing it wrong.
  • Unknown
    Options
    While I don't disagree that D3 can do things to ease up on burn out, I also feel the need to point out that the majority of the complaints by the OP are, largely, player-reactions to the content. What I mean by that is an alliance is reacting to the system in such a way that it encourages burn out (an alliance makes you play more than you would otherwise so your team can get top 50).

The part about season score does suck for those that don't necessarily want the covers, but at the same time I'm also scratching my head because (people) are complaining about there being extra rewards involved.

The system is not perfect, you're correct, and it does encourage a player to do things that are adverse either to himself (spending more time playing the game than he would like) or to others (screwing people out of covers they need when you're going to sell them).

However, aside from removing alliance input altogether, what can you really do? Perhaps a different form of measurement for alliances that is independent of the overall score? Maybe a choice to go 100/0, 50/50, or 0/100 for a set of two different scores (overall and alliance) so that people can compete for their alliance if they want to, or just themselves. It'll cause more problems and it'll be a pain in the **** to implement, but yeah, if you didn't care about the prizes for yourself you could still get some points for your alliance in that scenario.

Of course, it still carries the same problem of having to play every event for your alliance, though maybe that's just an overall negative within mmo-type games. Still, in such a system you wouldn't have to spend a ton of time for your alliance, maybe. Maybe.

I don't know. I mostly just wanted to post this so people were (more) aware that this isn't necessarily D3 so much as it is a behavioral thing. The system is fine until, you know, people. People suck.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Gambit002 wrote:
    FR3L4NCER wrote:
    Also when I'm winning 15 points in the match I just completed, why do I lose 50 directly after from a red node

If you're attacking anyone for less than 25 points you're doing it wrong.

Or you're farming Iso.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Impulse wrote:
    You're not the only one who's thought that D3 managed to implement an even more burnout inducing spin on mmo raiding. I think these are all solid ideas, but I don't know if we'll see them I've seen some suggested before, and you'd think a no brainer like making only every other event a season one would be easy enough to change.

Even when I was hardcore raiding in WoW my guild didn't force me to be online at 5am to earn decent loot.

Yes, I'm **** about finish times for UK/Europe again (but it's more a PvE thing).
    clagsmd wrote:
    Can't wait until Dragon Age Inquisition comes out! It'll prob be bye bye Marvel after that unless anything changes.

Yeah, but what if it sucks like DA2 rather than being good like DA:O?

Without wanting to threadjack - Divinity: Original Sin looks fantastic for RPG'ers.
  • Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    While I don't disagree that D3 can do things to ease up on burn out, I also feel the need to point out that the majority of the complaints by the OP are, largely, player-reactions to the content. What I mean by that is an alliance is reacting to the system in such a way that it encourages burn out (an alliance makes you play more than you would otherwise so your team can get top 50).

I'm honestly not sure how you can say this. D3 gave one clear "success metric" to seasons, the **** cover. While you do have the option to not try for the **** cover, you can't:

* Go for the cover AND play with casual friends

* Go for the cover AND not kick members who go on vacation for a week

* Go for the cover AND skip the occasional event

The only way to get the current rewards is to play in an anti-fun, anti-friendship, and largely unsustainable way. You seem to be making the arguement "Well, if no one did that, no one would have to do that!" but it's nonsensical.