When do you enter PVP?

Options
Probably a newb question, but I couldn't find the answer. I know time of entry is important for what bracket you are in. For the featured character tourneys, are you considered to have entered when you first open the event, or not until you actually fight?

Comments

• mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You're entered when you actually complete (or maybe it's start?) a fight, win or lose. There is no harm in opening up the event, and most people would advise doing it, so you make sure to lock in at least that first set of seed teams (every little bit helps with true healing). I personally don't start until 24-18 hours remaining usually, but you should try different times and figure out what works best for you.
  • BrandonE
    BrandonE Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    I don't think you get placed in a bracket if you actually lost the first fight though I've never tried it myself and don't see why you'd ever want to do that unless you accidentally clicked on fight.

You certainly shouldn't join a bracket any earlier than when you plan to have your first extended playing session, unless you're only trying to get the seed teams without any concern for placement. You will lose the seed teams beyond the 3 in your nodes if you shut the game off. Assuming you play regularly, the earlier you join the more competitive bracket is but you'll also tend to have a higher score at the end, so it's pretty even there. Don't join an early bracket if you have no plan to play regularly.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't think you get placed in a bracket if you actually lost the first fight though I've never tried it myself and don't see why you'd ever want to do that unless you accidentally clicked on fight.

You definitely do. I do it tanking in most PVPs.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

You can lose your first fight to put your tank team in? (if you miss the seeds)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

No, tanking pretty much requires suiciding now. But it does put you in a bracket.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

No, tanking pretty much requires suiciding now. But it does put you in a bracket.

Yeah, it definitely puts you into a bracket. Whether or not it puts a team out there is unclear...I don't think I've ever been attacked when I have 0 points, even if it's bagman/yelena/loaner.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Also losing to enter a bracket is a great way of avoiding entering into the same bracket as your alliance members as you will be able to tell when the brackets are full.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

yeah that's what I meant. Normally, to put your team in, you need to win. But if it's your entry into a new bracket, is that your team even if you lose?
  • sale007
    sale007 Posts: 26
    Options
    I got problem here...
    I am new in this game (4days) finished around 230 in Loki event so i immediately entered Top Gun too.
    I won few battles agains seed teams but now i can battle only players who are MUCH stronger than me, without any chance to win against them. My rank keeps dropping, any advice?
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    sale007 wrote:
    I got problem here...
    I am new in this game (4days) finished around 230 in Loki event so i immediately entered Top Gun too.
    I won few battles agains seed teams but now i can battle only players who are MUCH stronger than me, without any chance to win against them. My rank keeps dropping, any advice?

Possibly your battle queue was filled up with hardcore players who also joined the tournament right at the start. Try restarting the app and then skipping a few times.

If that doesn't work then maybe you did well enough in the last tournament that the game thinks you can handle tougher opponents now. But if you lose enough times the system should eventually start giving you opponents you can beat. Don't worry about your rank this early in the tournament. Treat it as a way to farm iso and maybe get some useful 2* covers from the battles.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    yeah that's what I meant. Normally, to put your team in, you need to win. But if it's your entry into a new bracket, is that your team even if you lose?

It's not clear. The only time I've ever been attacked at 0 points was when the game went buggy. There's zero incentive for people to attack you at 0 points, so you might just not have a team out.
  • sale007
    sale007 Posts: 26
    Options
    Infrared wrote:
    sale007 wrote:
    I got problem here...

Possibly your battle queue was filled up with hardcore players who also joined the tournament right at the start. Try restarting the app and then skipping a few times.

If that doesn't work then maybe you did well enough in the last tournament that the game thinks you can handle tougher opponents now. But if you lose enough times the system should eventually start giving you opponents you can beat. Don't worry about your rank this early in the tournament. Treat it as a way to farm iso and maybe get some useful 2* covers from the battles.

Ok thanks for help! Next time i'll stay out of that type of even till the last day, hopefully i'll get easier opponents icon_e_smile.gif)
  • Unknown
    Options
    when i need to tank i enter early. since not much different for entering time if you are not fighting for top 10
  • Unknown
    Options
    Depends on when I can play, bearing in mind that I will need time to build up to 300-400 (unshielded) then maybe up to 600 (unshielded) so that I'm working off a reasonable base for a "final push" followed by a shield, hopefully in the last 8 hours of an event but possibly earlier. If it's one of those that I can play early in an event but won't have time near the end of the event then I start later. If I can push late, I probably start late to avoid the death brackets full of hardcore people who start ASAP.
  • Unknown
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    You're entered when you actually complete (or maybe it's start?) a fight, win or lose. There is no harm in opening up the event, and most people would advise doing it, so you make sure to lock in at least that first set of seed teams (every little bit helps with true healing). I personally don't start until 24-18 hours remaining usually, but you should try different times and figure out what works best for you.

If your client is running as the event goes live the seed teams are locked whether you open it or not.

Past that point chances are good the seed teams are gone.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I enter whenever I actually have time to play.

That being said, I once entered with 18 minutes left. With some boosts and all of my healing packs I made it to 400 points, and 6th place