*** Sam Wilson (Falcon) *** (Updated)

Comments

• DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    I have atm a 4/4/3 Falcon that I've just leveled to 140.

Current PvE The Hunt was my first opportunity to test this leveled Falcon.
    I must say that I found the 4th blue power incredibly useful against goons and Daken.
    I fight with many green users, so Redwing's help is appeciated to get rid of Daken's strike tiles!

I don't know yet which is the best build for him but I'm convinced to use him in PvE and keep him at 4 blue at least!
  • Can someone tell me his new max stats, specifically his hp and inspiration effect? I don't know what his protect strength is either.
  • Shamusyeah wrote:
    Can someone tell me his new max stats, specifically his hp and inspiration effect? I don't know what his protect strength is either.

5950 HP

Inspirition increases 3 tiles by 94.

Protect tile strength is 41 per tile at level 3.
  • Meh, he's pretty well just as good at lvl 153, no reason to waste 33k iso.
  • Perhaps if there was simply an "exclude" list that Redwing won't touch. It would set the framework for future "cooldown" abilities without altering the interactions of OBW/Hood.
  • Cragger
    Cragger Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    If Spidey gets a special Web Tile that is exempt from most abilties, why not Falcon? Just make a Redwing Tile with some birdy overlay on it. The birdy counts down but isn't affected by CD abilities. Its mostly that "defend this tile" junk that makes the whole ability not make sense.
  • squirrel1120
    squirrel1120 Posts: 492
    DayvBang wrote:
    Another way to handle this might be to create a separate class of tile called a cooldown tile. They could then decide which abilities affect them and which do not. I'm not sure the potential player confusion is worth it for what is currently only used by a single ability, though.

It's definitely worth it. Reading the description makes you think you need to keep the tile on the board, yet matching or otherwise destroying it is favorable. Force bubbles are a mechanic for 1 toon. Web tiles for 2. Among the 3 falcon is probably the most desirable atm
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Webtiles are used by 3 characters (Bag-Man, Venom, Spidey himself).
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    locked wrote:
    Webtiles are used by 3 characters (Bag-Man, Venom, Spidey himself).
    And they're terrible, either borderline useless or far too strong, and should just be removed from the game.
  • over_clocked
    But what if we get an Eddie Brock Venom? Carnage? Black Spidey? Woot woot
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    locked wrote:
    But what if we get an Eddie Brock Venom? Carnage? Black Spidey? Woot woot
    Then their web tile mechanic ics will either be uninteresting and difficult to make use of, or they will enable overpowered strategies until the devs finally get around to nerfing it.

Venom's maximum web tile ability (devour full enemy team): nerfed.
    Bag-Man's web tile ability: highly situational and over-costed, rarely used. Most hated character.
    Spider-man's web tile ability suite: incredibly powerful, eventually nerfed, now a low-tier 3*.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    re-reading some of these old posts, and phantron's most recent comments on Fury, is the one less CD timer on Falcon needed? I just can't justify 5/3/5 although I can't disagree with people who choose that. I'm just wondering is 5/5/3 better than 5/4/4 in regards to Redwing only? Because the AI is completely random in it's tile destruction, is having the CD timer go off one turn earlier a benefit or are the odds of it being destroyed anyway high enough not to justify needing the one less timer? Again this is a question regarding Redwing only, not Birdstrike. Any thoughts?
  • My thought was that the extra protect tiles are likely to be matched away pretty quickly, where the CD tile for Redwing is likely to at least occasionally be put somewhere where it's not easy to get rid of it. Neither one is a huge difference, but my preference is for Redwing, which I tend to find myself using more often.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    My thought was that the extra protect tiles are likely to be matched away pretty quickly, where the CD tile for Redwing is likely to at least occasionally be put somewhere where it's not easy to get rid of it. Neither one is a huge difference, but my preference is for Redwing, which I tend to find myself using more often.

Thanks and this is my offical 1000th post. Woo Hoo icon_redface.gif
  • I can't remember the last time I used Bird Strike in PvE. There's just no point to prolong a fight which is what Bird Strike tends to do, because it reduces the chances you'll be upgrading strike tiles that can quickly put away a game. The only situation I can think of is if you just had 12 purple fall into your lap at the very beginning of the game, and in that case you might as well do it. If I have at least 3 strike tiles out, I prefer to upgrade them over any amount of protection tiles because those 3 strike tiles will quickly put the game away after a couple of upgrades, while the protection tiles even when upgraded several times are nowhere strong enough to withstand the damage from any serious AP consuming move. It is better to upgrade the strike tiles to make sure the enemy can't use their moves at all, versus hoping you can somehow upgrade your protect tile to the 1000+ range which is the minimum needed to make a dent on any decent AP moves. On the other hand, having 1000+ strike tiles will put the game away very quickly even against the highest level opponents. I don't think Redwing going 1 turn faster is all that useful, but Bird Strike is pretty much always counterproductive when you have Daken. If you don't have Daken, the question becomes more like whether you want Falcon on your team at all, since his synergy with anyone else is considerably weaker.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I can't remember the last time I used Bird Strike in PvE. There's just no point to prolong a fight which is what Bird Strike tends to do, because it reduces the chances you'll be upgrading strike tiles that can quickly put away a game. The only situation I can think of is if you just had 12 purple fall into your lap at the very beginning of the game, and in that case you might as well do it. If I have at least 3 strike tiles out, I prefer to upgrade them over any amount of protection tiles because those 3 strike tiles will quickly put the game away after a couple of upgrades, while the protection tiles even when upgraded several times are nowhere strong enough to withstand the damage from any serious AP consuming move. It is better to upgrade the strike tiles to make sure the enemy can't use their moves at all, versus hoping you can somehow upgrade your protect tile to the 1000+ range which is the minimum needed to make a dent on any decent AP moves. On the other hand, having 1000+ strike tiles will put the game away very quickly even against the highest level opponents. I don't think Redwing going 1 turn faster is all that useful, but Bird Strike is pretty much always counterproductive when you have Daken. If you don't have Daken, the question becomes more like whether you want Falcon on your team at all, since his synergy with anyone else is considerably weaker.

Hey Phantron,

What do you think of Falcon with Patch? Patch is my only 166, and I've been having trouble finding him a teammate. Right now, I run a 140 Cap with him, just because Cap's Red and Blue can overwrite the tiles you give opponents. Wouldn't Redwing be useful for that? Seems like there's some okay synergy, but I'm still a relatively new 3* player, so I just wanted to know what you thought, since you mentioned it. I guess I'm trying to understand how good Falcon is.
  • AznLyte wrote:

Hey Phantron,

What do you think of Falcon with Patch? Patch is my only 166, and I've been having trouble finding him a teammate. Right now, I run a 140 Cap with him, just because Cap's Red and Blue can overwrite the tiles you give opponents. Wouldn't Redwing be useful for that? Seems like there's some okay synergy, but I'm still a relatively new 3* player, so I just wanted to know what you thought, since you mentioned it. I guess I'm trying to understand how good Falcon is.

Falcon doesn't go well with Patch. If you wimp out with a level 3 Berserker Rage you'd be better off working on Black Panther instead, who can provide similar strike tile strength for same cost (and 9y is probably better than 9g, because great green powers are dime a dozen) and no drawback. If you have 5 in Berserker Rage, Falcon can't clean up the mess in any meaningful time before the game's over. Further, his ability to boost strike tiles is fairly irrelevent on a level 5 Berserker Rage because that's a game ending move already (that can also end your game, not just the opponent's). Falcon has Daken literally written on his partner list, and even 2* Daken is pretty awesome with him. Falcon can't defend in any meaningful capacity in PvP (they just have to stop yellow to shut him down) but in PvE he's one of the top characters to use as long as you've Daken, even 2* Daken though the 3* would be preferable because the 3* version can tank for Falcon on purple and is just flat out better.

Patch goes with Magneto, which I assume you don't have or you won't be asking this question. If Magneto is not available, I like Thor with Patch. It may seen counterproductive to use a Thunder Strike to destroy your own strike tiles, but realistically almost nothing can survive a Berserker Rage -> whatever AP moves you have -> Thunder Strike cascade -> Berserker Rage sequence so it doesn't matter. Outside of the top broken tier, 9g + 12y is probably as low as it gets in terms of getting a game ending move. Note that you don't even need 3* Thor to do this, even though of course he'd be better. All you need is the massive cascade triggered by Thunder Strike once Berserker Rage is on.
  • I've been using Falcon/Daken/Psylocke as my workhorse team for PvE, and I almost never use Bird Strike. The only time I'm matching purple on purpose is to put Daken out front to take a hit. Every other color is more useful, so the times I actually get enough to use it are rare. And even then, as Phantron pointed out, those protect tiles are really just getting in the way of buffing your offense with yellow matches, which is really what you bring Falcon along for in the first place. 5 in Redwing is useful occasionally in clearing out countdowns or scattered Bullseye debris. One turn less on the return isn't that big a deal, but it's something. Bird Strike just costs too much to be useful all that often, and even at 3 covers it more or less does its job. Falcon doesn't get much use in PvP, and when he does it doesn't matter much there either. So count me as a vote for 5/5/3 all the way.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    One possible non-Daken pairing might be Spidey.

In Army of One I used Punisher/Spidey/Falcon as my "anchor" (scored 700+ points and waited for healthpack regen without shield). Surprisingly few people attack me with that pairing for the 3-4 hours span without shield.

Positives:
    Full rainbow active skills
    Purple synergy with Spidey
    Yellow synergy with Spidey

Negative:
    Slow on offense, as only Punisher is dishing out the damage.
  • over_clocked
    You can sub in HT instead of Punpun since HT does damage really fast, but he's also a bit squishier and unless he's buffed, there's a chance the attacker would just kill HT first and deal with harmless Spidey/Falcon after that.