Reward low-level-teams who fight stronger teams

Options
Why not make a tournament that rewards low-level-teams that take one stronger teams?

At the moment you get more points if you have less points than your opponent, even if your team is much stronger and the fight is pretty easy.

Why not reward those who haven't leveled up their Thor, IM40, Rag, ... by giving them more points when playing against stronger opponents:

So if you have e.g. (Thor50, C.Storm50, Daken50) vs. (IM40/100, Rag 100, Spidey100), your points would get factor 4x, the other way round you would get only 0.25x.

Comments

• Doing that would mean leveling up your character would hurt your ability to place in tournaments. The idea of tournaments is that the people with the strongest teams that play the most and play well place higher. That isn't just these tournaments. That's all tournaments. It's the nature of competition. However, If you got more ISO for defeating tougher opponents, that would be something I could get behind, as long as it doesn't just promote people using boosts, which it might.
  • i would use a level 1 ragnarok, a level 1 filler, and a level 141 black widow
  • Blue Shoes wrote:
    Doing that would mean leveling up your character would hurt your ability to place in tournaments. The idea of tournaments is that the people with the strongest teams that play the most and play well place higher. That isn't just these tournaments. That's all tournaments. It's the nature of competition. However, If you got more ISO for defeating tougher opponents, that would be something I could get behind, as long as it doesn't just promote people using boosts, which it might.

Of course this should be an exeption, a special tournament. I think that it would be refreshing, if you don't just bring your A-Team, but try to beat stronger teams because of the extra points. In addition it might be attractive for new players because they could compete. This would be rubberbanding in some way: strong teams win easy but do not get many points. weak teams have to take a more tactical approach but get rewarded for it.
  • The only way I see this being viable would be if it was something like this:

Tournament name: The Replacements

Tournament description/Flavor text: SHIELD is creating LMDs for all the Avengers (or whomever), and we need you to help train them.

Tournament mechanic: Game provides level 15 (or whatever) lowbie "guests" for use. Any team that uses only these guests gets a large bonus to tournament points earned.

On second thought, it might make more sense to mandate use of the replacement characters (renaming the tourney to "The Level Field" or something), but this means that the forums would positively erupt with hate.

Though on second, second thought, it might be interesting if they ran this tournament with just level-50 new and "preview" characters like IW, Punisher, Original Widow (with level-5 black), and the like.
  • Forge wrote:
    Tournament mechanic: Game provides level 15 (or whatever) lowbie "guests" for use. Any team that uses only these guests gets a large bonus to tournament points earned.

Again, where's the incentive to improve your own characters and spend ISO/HP/money? This has to be a consideration for any tournament.
  • I_am_Zero
    I_am_Zero Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    Tournaments are kind of messed up anyways. I'm glad that we have brackets, but they shouldn't be based on when you enter the tournament. If you happen to join a bracket with TheLadder and your toughest team are all 2 star level 50s, you have absolutely no shot at getting 1st place. You can just hope to grind out a top 50 place or grind for some of the event rewards. But, if your bracket is based on your toughest team members, then the high level teams will have to compete against high level teams in terms of match ups as well as brackets and people who are just starting out with their highest team members are 1 star mid level guys will be matched up with similar teams as well as be in the same brackets.
  • I am Zero wrote:
    Tournaments are kind of messed up anyways. I'm glad that we have brackets, but they shouldn't be based on when you enter the tournament. If you happen to join a bracket with TheLadder and your toughest team are all 2 star level 50s, you have absolutely no shot at getting 1st place. You can just hope to grind out a top 50 place or grind for some of the event rewards. But, if your bracket is based on your toughest team members, then the high level teams will have to compete against high level teams in terms of match ups as well as brackets and people who are just starting out with their highest team members are 1 star mid level guys will be matched up with similar teams as well as be in the same brackets.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's a better way. What should they use, previous tournament finish? So you do well and in the next one you get put with the big boys? If you go by character levels, you are forcing people into using their best characters or sticking with one team the entire time.

There's something to be said for having to work your way up the ladder too, pardon the pun. The advantage that a higher end player has may seem daunting, but it doesn't last forever. They've also done a pretty good job of having tournaments from time to time aimed at newer players (e.g. Limiting to 1* characters).
  • The tournament should really be improved by some kind of different measurements.

For example:

Low level player get lucky and in 90min tournament he wins 30wins. So get should get big reward even if he got beat up 100times.

And as of right now.. you dont need to win some certain number of fights, you need to win more times than you loose - which is impossible. You win 1fight, when you come back after fight you see 3guys beated you. So the tourneys now are heavily biased towards highest level players. Which is scamming. It should be equal or even encouraging the new players, not by punishing them.
  • The tournament should really be improved by some kind of different measurements.

For example:

Low level player get lucky and in 90min tournament he wins 30wins. So get should get big reward even if he got beat up 100times.

And as of right now.. you dont need to win some certain number of fights, you need to win more times than you loose - which is impossible. You win 1fight, when you come back after fight you see 3guys beated you. So the tourneys now are heavily biased towards highest level players. Which is scamming. It should be equal or even encouraging the new players, not by punishing them.

It sounds like you are referring to the lightning rounds here. If so, yes, they are aimed at the more advanced players. But not all of the tournaments are. Some have been geared more heavily to newer players. There has been a decent mix of even types. Bt what I like is that even newer players can get something out of Lightning rounds and other events.even if you have no hope of finishing really high, there are still progression rewards, iso, etc to gain.

It isn't reasonable to come into the game and immediately compete at the toughest events, any more than it would be to start a new account in World of Warcraft and immediately jump into a heroic 10-man raid. Get what you can out of each event and work your way up. For the lightning rounds, newer players can start out getting the 50/100 progression rewards each round. After that, they can try to sneak up into the range of the heroic tokens, and after a while, the diabolical tokens. It takes time to build up a team that can really compete, but the fun is in the journey.
  • Too many things to quote, so ill just give bullet:

1. I would absolutely be down with an ISO bonus for facing higher level competition. Nothing huge, but maybe a +50/+100/+150 depending on the difference in overall team level. Also a bonus for fighting ragnarok lol...

2. The game needs to do a better job of not punishing lower lvled players for trying to compete without giving a low lvl player an actual advantage. Not an easy task. I've seen.games.do all sorts of mistakes, from making cutoffbarriers that lower the pool of possible opponents too low to giving low lvls huge bonuses making it beneficial to NOT level

3. Time placement works fine. You shouldnt get to.pick.you bracket.based.on.not.leveling. otherwise some guy maxes his rag and starts destroying all the 1* teams because he is running a low lvl support character in.the background. At that point you might as well.just make anyone with a rag have to fight other rags only. Just desserts, but not fun which is bad for the game. Also, the example of being in a high lvl player bracket just means you got unlucky. It also isn't who you are actually fighting against..just who you are placing against. If you think enough ppl n your bracket are too high a level for you then the issue might be you not being high enough or you not putting in enough time to compete.

4. Each time you attack someone it should create a 3-4 min lapse where they no longer show up as being fightable. This would mean that max lvl rag team cannot polywhop the same lower lvl guy 15 times ruining the lower lvl players day as they move from 10th to 80th because of one player. The other option is to disallow.point.loss.from.a.given.player after a certain # of losses...but that runs the risk of player collusion which this forum shows does.already Halen. That dkesnt need any extra help or tim and his 8 brothers are going to to ham on the scoreboard.

5. More tournement variety is always a plus imo. As long as ppl are not being pigeonholed to one or two.characters.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    Forge wrote:

Again, where's the incentive to improve your own characters and spend ISO/HP/money? This has to be a consideration for any tournament.
    Correction: It has to be a consideration for any tournament where giving higher-level characters/players an advantage is the goal, or at least not an undesirable element.

If D3P wanted to have a "welcome to the game" tourney where veterans have no material advantage over newbies -- such as when, say, the PC version leaves beta and a huge wave of potential addicts/paying customers jumps into the pool -- then a tournament where everybody is using characters of the same level would be hugely advantageous to the popularity of the game and, in the long term, it's profitability.

Yes, this would be a lowbie tournament -- one where first prize would probably be more along the lines of 10 heroic packs rather than 3 Punisher covers -- and it would behoove them to have at least one higher-level event going on at the same time, but a tournament format that's based purely on skill/tenacity rather than level disparity isn't an inherently poor idea.