*** Sentry (Dark Avengers) ***

Comments

• Grazzt wrote:
    bruceway wrote:
    has anybody tried sentry / hulk/ daken ?

sentry's green & strike tiles make my hulk anger so that I could make more green tiles match and extra turn.
    only sentry's red can trigger your own hulk's anger
    Is that because the green doesn't do enough damage?

I wonder if a low-level Hulk with 5 ranks in Anger would make a good companion for Sentry on offense. Get a ridiculous number of Anger tiles from World Rupture (since his health would be low enough to get procs from each World Rupture tile), then use that green to finish the game.
  • Muspel wrote:
    Grazzt wrote:
    bruceway wrote:

sentry's green & strike tiles make my hulk anger so that I could make more green tiles match and extra turn.

I wonder if a low-level Hulk with 5 ranks in Anger would make a good companion for Sentry on offense. Get a ridiculous number of Anger tiles from World Rupture (since his health would be low enough to get procs from each World Rupture tile), then use that green to finish the game.

Yes, because it's spread out to up to 16 times so even though the total self damage is considerable, no particular instance of the self damage from World Rupture is enough to trigger Anger unless Hulk is at an extremely low level.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2014
    Soo Sentry at level 166 does 64 damage to allies per world rupture tile-- Hulk needs to be damaged for over 5% of his health-- Thus he has to have less than 1280 health to trigger anger from sentry green. Hulk at level 15 has 1283 health. So even with the shift to levels to sentry, hulk has more health prior to level shift to do this. Maybe a buffed sentry in a PVE could allow for some of these shenanigans though. You'd have to health pack hulk every time basically, but it would be pretty fun to watch. (guess not though)
  • Phantron wrote:
    Muspel wrote:
    Grazzt wrote:
    bruceway wrote:

Yes, because it's spread out to up to 16 times so even though the total self damage is considerable, no particular instance of the self damage from World Rupture is enough to trigger Anger unless Hulk is at an extremely low level.

Level 40 (min level after level shift) Hulk has 2970 Hit Points. Hulk Anger will activate at 5% damage, which is 149 (after rounding).
  • eidehua wrote:
    Soo Sentry at level 166 does 64 damage to allies per world rupture tile-- Hulk needs to be damaged for over 5% of his health-- Thus he has to have less than 1280 health to trigger anger from sentry green. Hulk at level 15 has 1283 health. So even with the shift to levels to sentry, hulk has more health prior to level shift to do this. Maybe a buffed sentry in a PVE could allow for some of these shenanigans though. You'd have to health pack hulk every time basically, but it would be pretty fun to watch.

3 battles before having to heal, easy. I can do 4 without downing any allies about 30% of the time.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Bugpop wrote:
    eidehua wrote:
    Soo Sentry at level 166 does 64 damage to allies per world rupture tile-- Hulk needs to be damaged for over 5% of his health-- Thus he has to have less than 1280 health to trigger anger from sentry green. Hulk at level 15 has 1283 health. So even with the shift to levels to sentry, hulk has more health prior to level shift to do this. Maybe a buffed sentry in a PVE could allow for some of these shenanigans though. You'd have to health pack hulk every time basically, but it would be pretty fun to watch.

3 battles before having to heal, easy. I can do 4 without downing any allies about 30% of the time.
    Hmm I meant if Hulk could have been angered-- he would have to be a super low level and thus had to be healed everytime. (of course it's not possible, but if numbers were a bit different.. or a buffed sentry with level 1 green (no ally dmg reduction?)-- but his level will be lower so probably not. )

Was not commenting on Sentry's play with real teams since I don't have one at a high level to judge that with
  • eidehua wrote:
    Bugpop wrote:
    eidehua wrote:

Hmm I meant if Hulk coulda have been angered-- he would have to be a super low level that had to be healed everytime. (of course it's not possible, but if numbers were a bit different.. or a buffed sentry with level 1 green (no ally dmg reduction?) )

Hulk should trash the team's AP and beat the tar out of his allies if they trigger his anger. I mean, it's as dumb as C.Storm/Thor/Loaner Pre-nerf (Thor tosses level 6 m.hawkeye at enemy, c.storm gets pissed and trashes the enemy, and thor gets 6-18 red AP to finish remaining opponents, generating 5-15 yellow tiles)
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Huh, can sacrifice trigger cstorm?
  • Spoit wrote:

Don't see why not mechanics-wise, but it starts out doing less than 20% of Sentry's total health and there's no way to increase the damage done to yourself.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

Don't see why not mechanics-wise, but it starts out doing less than 20% of Sentry's total health and there's no way to increase the damage done to yourself.
    If the numbers I just got for my level are right, rank 1 will do 19.9% HP. Being just shy of 20%. Balance!
  • After getting hit by bugpop a few times. I finally see the strength of Sentry. Nice job with the videos, definitely learned from it.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Spoit wrote:
    But friendly self-damage shouldn't trigger Tempest, should it?

Edit: went to wiki, it says 'triggers when a member is damaged', so ambiguous for me.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    I don't think it's possible for Sacrifice to damage Sentry for more than 20% of his max health. At level 166 with 5 in yellow self-damage is 1304/10200 = 12.8%. My personal Sentry is level 153 with 4 in yellow and self-damage is 1371/9405 = 14.6%. I haven't checked all possible permutations but I think even if you had a 0/0/4 Sentry he still wouldn't damage himself enough to trigger Tempest.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    My Sentry is L163 with 4 in yellow. He takes 1437 damage for Sacrifice, and max HP is 9989. So that's about 14.4%, still not 20%.

Supernova should be more likely to trigger Tempest, right?
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    At max level Supernova shatters 9 red tiles for 137 team damage for each--total damage of 1233. Not nearly enough to damage himself for 20% of his max health but it could be enough damage to a low-level teammate.

EDIT--just tested it in Shield SIM with Sentry, Hood and cStorm. Supernova damaged both Hood and cStorm for more than 20% of their max health but Tempest did not trigger.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still don't understand why people are going 4/5/4 when I think Sentry is best served 5/5/3 or 3/5/5, but that's the beauty of it all. My reasoning is as follows.

lvl 3 red to level 4 is just an increase in dmg only increases initial dmg by 341, the number of tiles and dmg from those is the same, as well as team dmg.

the break comes from 4 to 5 as you get extra tiles to destroy and less team dmg.

lvl 3 yellow to level 4 is just an increase in tile strenght by 66, but lvl 4 to 5 is an increase of 108 plus less self dmg.

To me it is more cost effective to go 5/5/3 and max dmg out via supernova or go 3/5/5 and max strike tile dmg out while taken reduced self dmg. 4/5/4 while looking good, I think effectively does less dmg than 5/5/3 or 3/5/5

unless there is a stealth dmg upgrade the character stats are wrong
    the upgrade from lvl 3 to 4 is only initial dmg not tile dmg
  • 4/5/4 might be the covers you happen to have compared to 5/5/3 or 3/5/5. 4/4/5 builds are easier on the cover availability compared to 5/5/3 builds in general.

World Rupture is probably designed to be the weaker team nuke except it is not with any strike tiles out, so Supernova doesn't really have a place. World Rupture can easily lose half or more of its damage, but it still ends up doing more than enough because of strike tiles. If World Rupture did not benefit from strike tile so many times, it'd actually be pretty interesting to decide to go with a fast and powerful cascade ability that hits weak, or slow and unwieldy Supernova that leaves a really big boom behind.
  • vudu3 wrote:
    At max level Supernova shatters 9 red tiles for 137 team damage for each--total damage of 1233. Not nearly enough to damage himself for 20% of his max health but it could be enough damage to a low-level teammate.

EDIT--just tested it in Shield SIM with Sentry, Hood and cStorm. Supernova damaged both Hood and cStorm for more than 20% of their max health but Tempest did not trigger.

I think each tile is individual.

...**** me, how much does that do with Sacrifice out?
  • Phaserhawk
    vudu3 wrote:

I think each tile is individual.

...tinykitty me, how much does that do with Sacrifice out?

no the tiles explode at the same time so it only activates the strike tile once. Similiar to Magneto's Magnetized Projectile. The skill itself triggers all strike tiles on the board, not each individual tile trigger each strike tile. Otherwise, holy **** I'd go 5/5/3 in a heart beat.
  • Phaserhawk
    Here's a dmg comparision of the Supernova/Sacrifice combo, for when GSBW, Mohawk, and C.Mags destroy your World Rupture tiles (this happend to me twice so far)

Now I do beleive the way Supernova is triggerd for damage, is that the intial damage goes, which triggers strike tiles. Then the tile destruction dmg occurs triggering strike tiles again.

3/5/5
    Sacrifice for 1112 self dmg, 575 strike tile, casting Supernova I hit enemy for (1186 + 575) + (1554 + 575) = 3890 dmg to enemy team and 1246 to my team and 2358 to Sentry

4/5/4
    Sacrfice for 1261 self dmg, 467 strike tile, casting Supernova I hit enemy for (1527+467) + (1554 + 467) = 4015 dmg to enemy team and 1246 to my team and 2522 to Sentry

5/5/3
    Sacrifice for 1261 self dmg, 401 strike tile, casting Supernova I hit enemy for (1527 + 401) + (1998 + 401) = 4327 dmg to enemy team and 1053 to my team, and 2314 to Sentry

5/5/3 does the least dmg to your team and Sentry while also doing the most dmg
    4/5/4 does the most dmg to your team and Sentry while doing 312 less dmg than 5/5/3 but 125 more dmg than 3/5/5
    3/5/5 does the most dmg to your team and the least to Sentry but does 125 less overall dmg to 4/5/4 and 437 to 5/5/3.

Things to note. 5/5/3 only does the most dmg if you have 8 or 9 red tiles avaliable, otherwise the only benefit is the low team dmg.
    World Rupture/Sacrifice combo assuming 10 tiles avaible
    3/5/5---(148 + 575) x 10 = 7230 dmg and 540 to your own team
    4/5/4---(148 + 467) x 10 = 6150 dmg and 540 to your own team
    5/5/3---(148 + 401) x 10 = 5490 dmg and 540 to your own team

you can make the decision yourself after that