How To Get Into My Wallet

Options
Dear Developers,

I love this game. I have never spent a dime on it. Which is a shame, because I would really like to support it and I believe that people should be paid for a job well done. The problem is you have nothing for sale that I want or need. Even more you have nothing for sale that will really help my game experience very much. $5 for 1500 iso will buy me about one level with any of the Heros I use at this point. $5 will buy me 600 HP, which will upgrade 1 of my **star abilities. Neither of those purchases will really improve my game experience in any noticeable way. Now, maybe you guys are raking in the money over at Shield Headquarters. Maybe you are swimming in it with no pants like Scrooge McDuck. I assume there are some guys out there who are pretty loaded and who have no problem dropping lots of money on this game. But I think a large number of the people who play are not in that category. So how can you get my hard earned cash? (Forgive me if you have heard this before or already considered it)

1) Bundle purchases: How about a beginners bundle? 1000 HP and 5000 iso for $5. This would be a purchase that can only be made 1 time by each player. Then it disappears. That is a great deal that I would definitely be happy to shell out $5 for. Now many will say "never going to happen." Please don't (unless you are IceIX, then you can tell there is no chance if that is the case). I know chances are slim, but I think that it would be a great money maker for the developers. I think most of the people who play this game would buy it. $5 X thousands of people is something to consider.

2) Limited time cover/flash sales: once in a while we should see a cover special (covers that are worth something please icon_e_biggrin.gif ). "Blue, Yellow and Purple Spidey covers for $5." "1 Red Rag and 1 Green Grey Suit Widow $5." "Blue Spidey Cover, 500 HP and 2000 iso for the low low price of (you guessed it) $5." Flash sales mean people have a limited time to grab that offer or they may never see it again and it may be months before they get that cover they have been waiting for. And again these packs would be something that each player could only buy once each sale. So those who want to and can afford to drop lots of money to buy the best possible team will still do so.

These are just a couple of suggestions. The point is give us something to buy that we can't pass up and that we actually want. And keep these special items at a price that those of us with limited budgets can justify. I think that will help you make some money off the common player. And quite honestly the common player will be happy about giving you their cash.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Yes. Given how much time I've spent with this, I'd like to support it with my cash, but I see nothing of value to buy. A goodwill tip jar where I get nothing in return would almost be more appealing than what's in the store.
  • As someone who doesn't believe in pay2win, the only thing I can get behind are cosmetics.
  • As someone who doesn't believe in pay2win, the only thing I can get behind are cosmetics.
    I'm sure there are people who would pay for a different look for Invisible Woman.
  • I've seen F2P games that have VIP rewards. Where the more money you put in, the higher your VIP ranking goes. That enables you to enter special tournaments and/or receive more in daily prizes/gifts.

But you're right. Outside of that initial 10-20 dollars that helps give you some HP to make some pulls/buy health packs. There isn't much more incentive to spend money on more.

Even if I bought 20 dollars of HP, that might allow me to buy a few more covers for my Spiderman, but that doesn't really change my success/failure in this game. It just slightly hastens what was going to happen anyways.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Problem is cosmetics will be too confusing with the multiple covers per hero already
    (and also they're running out of black widow costumes so fat chance there XD)

Wat about cosmetic...HATS?
    I'd pay through the NOSE to play venom wearing a santa hat
  • Humphrey wrote:
    As someone who doesn't believe in pay2win, the only thing I can get behind are cosmetics.
    I'm sure there are people who would pay for a different look for Invisible Woman.

Actually that was another suggestion i was going to make

How to make Invisible Woman a cover people want to have: Replace the current image with one of Jessica Alba as Sue Storm. She'll still be a bench warmer, but one that most players won't mind having. The only other option is to drastically redesign her abilities
  • I am in quite similar position as the moose, I would like to monetize my gratification for creating this game and giving it constant updates (like 7 new chars in less than 2 months). However, I found current shop offers not too interesting, so I decided to wait for some nice special promotion, but it didn't happen until sadly icon_e_sad.gif Which is really bad, because:
    1. I reached point where I don't really need to buy anything. I consider ISO the free currency and buying it would be pointless from my point of view. That leaves HP... which I have 3k at moment and can get it easily enough to keep my cover space at number of available characters +1 in case I decide to dump in on character finally.
    2. it's December, so Steam Winter Sale is coming... hence my wallet is temporarily frozen until the end of year icon_razz.gif
    Therefore right now, even a good promotion would have little chance of being used by me.
  • A one-time starter pack is a nice idea. The interesting thing about that is that psychologically, if you can get people to spend money on the game once, I bet they are more likely to do so again.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Puritas wrote:
    Problem is cosmetics will be too confusing with the multiple covers per hero already
    (and also they're running out of black widow costumes so fat chance there XD)

Wat about cosmetic...HATS?
    I'd pay through the NOSE to play venom wearing a santa hat

All the characters should be wearing Santa hats on December 24th and 25th. No purchase, just for fun.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Misguided wrote:
    A one-time starter pack is a nice idea. The interesting thing about that is that psychologically, if you can get people to spend money on the game once, I bet they are more likely to do so again.

I like this too.

I've slowed way down on my purchases. I was never a whale, but I dropped some cash on cover slots and heroic tokens before they increased the prices on each. I hope others have done the same and the stats will convince them to back those price increases off some. Of course, it's possible I'm part of the small percentage of paying customers they willingly lost while keeping the ones who'd absorb those price hikes.
  • How about more "permanent" purchase options? For example being able to purchase an permanent health pack slot, so you would have 6 free health packs at a time up from 5. I think more people would be interested in permanent purchases rather than lottery tickets, disposable boosts/health packs and the like.
  • grimeon wrote:
    How about more "permanent" purchase options? For example being able to purchase an permanent health pack slot, so you would have 6 free health packs at a time up from 5. I think more people would be interested in permanent purchases rather than lottery tickets, disposable boosts/health packs and the like.

The problem with that particular suggestion is that it falls into the "pay to win" category to some extent, which they have done a good job of avoiding, or leaving to random chance. Me you could argue that's not a huge advantage, and I would agree, but something to consider. Otherwise not a bad idea. Buying cover slots is in this category.
  • Misguided wrote:
    grimeon wrote:
    How about more "permanent" purchase options? For example being able to purchase an permanent health pack slot, so you would have 6 free health packs at a time up from 5. I think more people would be interested in permanent purchases rather than lottery tickets, disposable boosts/health packs and the like.

The problem with that particular suggestion is that it falls into the "pay to win" category to some extent, which they have done a good job of avoiding, or leaving to random chance. Me you could argue that's not a huge advantage, and I would agree, but something to consider. Otherwise not a bad idea. Buying cover slots is in this category.

Well you can already "pay to win" near the end of tournaments by buying health packs... this would be much more of an investment in the game rather investment in a particular tournament. They could price it pretty high ($5-10), it would still be worth it for those who play a lot.
  • fatcatfan wrote:
    Yes. Given how much time I've spent with this, I'd like to support it with my cash, but I see nothing of value to buy. A goodwill tip jar where I get nothing in return would almost be more appealing than what's in the store.
    A thousand times this!

There is a big untapped market in terms of monetization for this game, I feel like the payment options cater too much to whales and new players but I love love love this game and would love to support it.
  • Being a relatively new player these suggestions sound awesome. $5 flash sales are freaking genius.
  • That's kind of a thing I've noticed too. At the start the purchases are really cheap so a little goes a long way. But once you've been playing a bit the return for investment (at least cashwise) drops off sharply and nothing at the range I'm at looks even worth buying. I'm definitely not dropping $20 just to level up my 3* hero twice. icon_e_confused.gif

I mean good for you guys if you're making all your money back on whales, but you know, as someone who enjoys playing this game? Having something to spend on in the mid-tiers would be nice.
  • I've been thinking of something like a Booster pack for 500 HP where you get a choice out of 1 of 3 covers.

Would take away the harshness of suffering death by a thousand Hawkeyes but keep the element of randomness that is necessary for the game.
  • So they have made an attempt at giving us better options with the daily deals. Thank you for that. But it isn't much of an atempt I'm affraid. I thought about spending some of my HP on a 100hp daily heroic, but i realized that the chances of me getting anything that would actually be of value is so low I would almost be better off flushing that hp down the metaphorical toilet. I came to this realization as i considered 10 days worth of hunt tokens. I got 1 heroic token in every single sub event plus all of the progression ones, and the net result was i upgraded modern hawkeye a bit. That's it. Not one other cover of real use to me. Granted for a majority of the hunt, covers were limited to certain characters but that should only have improved my odds of getting a spidey cover for example.

The 2700hp deal could seem sweet. 1 guaranteed *** cover! But what are the chances that I will get yet another IM40 cover that i will throw away. Even if i did get a Rag cover, it won't help me much as it will be my first and I've been playing a lot every day for 45 days now. Although granted i haven't really tried in any lightning rounds, but that just illustrates the point even more that spending money won't help unless you get lucky or spend a lot of it. Grinding it out in events is the only real way to get covers consistently.

So maybe for very new players daily deals will seem enticing. They may indeed get a few covers that they want, but once they pull several bagmans or multiple covers that they don't need, day after day, they will realize it still isn't a great deal.

I guess my major issue is spending money in this game is almost always the equivalent of gambling. I am not a gambler. I'm fine with in game rewards being a gamble (ie tokens and other free stuff), but when i spend actual money i want to be sure that I am getting something for my money, not another throw away cover. So unfortunately my wallet is still locked. I still hope to unlock it soon, though.
  • Even with "guarateed _____" deals, depending on your situation you may get a color for that guaranteed character that you don't want/need. It's always a gamble unless you need pretty much everything.

That's why the only good "value" for using HP is cover slots or power upgrades. Then when you equate those things to cash, and compare cash to what you get in game, it comes up short.

The only practical way to approach it right now is to stop considering the bonus you get for spending money, and instead that decide you want to support a game you've spent a lot of time with. If you can decouple the items you get in-game from the cash you spend, it's easier to justify. But I haven't been able to make that leap yet, as it sounds is true with most of the folks posting in this thread.
  • fatcatfan wrote:
    Even with "guarateed _____" deals, depending on your situation you may get a color for that guaranteed character that you don't want/need. It's always a gamble unless you need pretty much everything.

That's why the only good "value" for using HP is cover slots or power upgrades. Then when you equate those things to cash, and compare cash to what you get in game, it comes up short.

The only practical way to approach it right now is to stop considering the bonus you get for spending money, and instead that decide you want to support a game you've spent a lot of time with. If you can decouple the items you get in-game from the cash you spend, it's easier to justify. But I haven't been able to make that leap yet, as it sounds is true with most of the folks posting in this thread.

Yeah I like the "Tip Jar" idea. Then i feel generous instead of ripped off. Lol