* Storm (Modern) * [PRE 2014-07]

Comments

• Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    She got changed back. Apparently the nerf was actually a bug.
  • She got changed back. Apparently the nerf was actually a bug.

I think it says a lot about how D3 has handled things lately that we'd all jump to the conclusion that it was an intentional nerf.

There's not a lot of goodwill toward the developers because they have a history of screwing us.
  • Teke184 wrote:
    I think it says a lot about how D3 has handled things lately that we'd all jump to the conclusion that it was an intentional nerf.

I don't know how it could happen on accident.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Teke184 wrote:

easily...she slipped, fell, and landed on d3s... ... ...

ability to make good decisions. icon_e_wink.gif

marc
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Teke184 wrote:

I'm still rather skeptical on this as well. A bug would be just the accidental changing of her red from 5 to 9, but the full flavor text of the ability was changed as well. That really signals "unplausible" outside of "Oops, we accidentally copied Mohawk Storm's template over Modern Storm's template!".

Perhaps this was a test server change that was mistakenly pushed to the live servers and was not ready to be released into the wild yet?
  • It's strange. I don't think an update nerfing a character for the second time could be a bug. Maybe someone was supposed to announce it before the update or they weren't supposed to push it before the heroic in which she is featured ended. They probably realized there wasn't an announcement and/or the event hasn't ended and pulled it back for now.

All that said, of course I don't want her to be nerfed. A 1* character getting nerfed? Truly the most important thing that devs should be doing right now. It's sad how we expect it to be a real change. It must be all the "good" changes to the game since I started playing.
  • My suspicion is either this is a planned nerf that got pushed out early on accident, or it was put out on purpose, the complaints made them realize that people criticizing them for unannounced nerfs had a really valid point, and they decided to roll it back, announce it, then do it for real.

In any case, I think within two weeks it's going to be back to 9 ap, this time permanently.
  • In all fairness, when comparing 1* Modern Storm to 3*** Mohawk Storm, I don't think anyone seriously argued that Mohawk was the superior character.

If the 1* (which should be the weakest version of a character) is considered superior to a version two tiers higher, then I can see why the nerfbat would be swinging in this situation. Still, for whatever reason that the sequence of events occurred today, the likely end result is yet another bitter pill that will eventually have to be swallowed.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, but compared to basically anyone, 3* Storm is complete trash.

Seriously, I'd rather have a Bullseye or Iron Man 35 over 3* storm on my team.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    My suspicion is either this is a planned nerf that got pushed out early on accident, or it was put out on purpose, the complaints made them realize that people criticizing them for unannounced nerfs had a really valid point, and they decided to roll it back, announce it, then do it for real.

In any case, I think within two weeks it's going to be back to 9 ap, this time permanently.

In summary, yes - http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10234&start=80 (and scroll down).

The question now becomes, with Red at 9AP (and a slight increase in point attack value from memory) is 5/5/3 still the default recommendation?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Katai wrote:

3* storm is not trash she will just need to be partnerd with the right characters. She will fit well with Black Panther where she can destroy the env tiles to let BP set out 3-4 strike tiles and then you can either use BP black for huge damage or Storms black. I actually think Storms black is really strong as a 3** character she can do more damage than punisher's black and block a lot of the board from other characters. Is she a pilar of someones roster, no. But she can do a lot of damage when she gets her black out with strike tiles. This PVE with 1* storm has reminded me of this. I have Punisher with 5 black and I would rather use 1* storm's black with stike tiles that Punishers black.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    yogi_ wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    My suspicion is either this is a planned nerf that got pushed out early on accident, or it was put out on purpose, the complaints made them realize that people criticizing them for unannounced nerfs had a really valid point, and they decided to roll it back, announce it, then do it for real.

In summary, yes - http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10234&start=80 (and scroll down).

The question now becomes, with Red at 9AP (and a slight increase in point attack value from memory) is 5/5/3 still the default recommendation?

It comes down to a bit of luck. For Mowhawk Storm if you can get the black off and nothing gets destroyed you will do 32x34 dmg for 1088. red max's out at 192 tile damage. 1088/192 means you would have to destroy 6 enviro tiles and you do the same amount of damage as 32 attack tiles. Lets say you get 9 enviro tiles thats 1728 damage, if you divide that by 34 you would need attacks from those strike tiles 51 times. Well, that's pretty easy. Even if you lost 1/2 per turn. You would go 32=1088, + 16=544, + 8=272, + 4=136, + 2=68, + 1=34 thats 2142. And lets face it, you are not going to lose that much a turn.

You had mistress maxed to lower the AP cost, never for the damage. Since the AP cost is the same regardless, it doesn't make sense to keep it there when you can get more damage from black.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    Katai wrote:

3* storm is not trash she will just need to be partnerd with the right characters. She will fit well with Black Panther where she can destroy the env tiles to let BP set out 3-4 strike tiles and then you can either use BP black for huge damage or Storms black. I actually think Storms black is really strong as a 3** character she can do more damage than punisher's black and block a lot of the board from other characters. Is she a pilar of someones roster, no. But she can do a lot of damage when she gets her black out with strike tiles. This PVE with 1* storm has reminded me of this. I have Punisher with 5 black and I would rather use 1* storm's black with stike tiles that Punishers black.
    Her black is the only real reason to use her. But if you're running with BP, you're not using it, so...it's pretty meh, especially since he also only has 1 good power. The reason punisher is good is not because of his individual powers, but the fact that he has all 3 that are decent, unlike most heroes
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Spoit wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    Katai wrote:

Her black is the only real reason to use her. But if you're running with BP, you're not using it, so...it's pretty meh, especially since he also only has 1 good power. The reason punisher is good is not because of his individual powers, but the fact that he has all 3 that are decent, unlike most heroes

I think you are missing the point I am trying to make. Storm is not going to be your main go to character. Her red is a good strength and does decent damage. Her black is now her best ability with ongoing damage, and her green is probably her weekest ability but it generates AP and board shake up. With her black only costing 9 HP she can significantly speed up matches. Is she for everyone, no. Is she broken and not worth putting ISO into, I would say no. She is a solid support character and that is a good thing.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    Katai wrote:

I think you are missing the point I am trying to make. Storm is not going to be your main go to character. Her red is a good strength and does decent damage. Her black is now her best ability with ongoing damage, and her green is probably her weekest ability but it generates AP and board shake up. With her black only costing 9 HP she can significantly speed up matches. Is she for everyone, no. Is she broken and not worth putting ISO into, I would say no. She is a solid support character and that is a good thing.
    Sure, but unless they start giving a hell of a lot more ISO, there's not really much point to spend it on marginal characters like her when there are better characters to spend it on, even after you maxed out the top tier ones, like falcon or Lazy cap
  • Unknown
    edited July 2015
    I must be weird to prefer a 4-5-4 build. I can't live without 5 in the red, 3 in black was too few to make for a good tile denial strategy, and 5 is too many. With the recent level cap change, I've been trying to find 2* teams to put her on. One of my more used ones has been Wolverine, Daken, Storm, with intention of longer play time through regen. Wolverine and Daken combine to tank Storm. I don't use her Green, but her hailstorm works well with the strike tiles. It is an odder play style, trying to keep red strike tiles in play as opposed to using her for cascading. Hopefully, I'll be able to replace Daken with 3* Daken in that team once I get the covers. Am really glad the recent storm nerf was a mistake. I seriously considered quitting over that, instead of the healing change.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2014
    Well, it would seem that Storms red, mistress of elements is about to be changed. ( of course the game can definitely use more yellows ), There of course will be people that are going to be upset and angry. They will fuss, cuss, and whine. ( which will be new since we never see anything like that here on the forum icon_rolleyes.gif ). While others will view the coming changes as a wonderous new addition to the game. Then there will be those that don't care about it either way.

As to me, personally, Storm red is one of my favorite powers in the entire game. I don't understand exactly what the team up feature is going to be or how it's going to work. Only what is posted on the forum here and in the news announcement section. will just have to wait until next week and see. I am in the undecided group right now. I will reserve judgements until after I have had a chance to experience the new changes. But as too NOW, Right Now, Right This Second, Today. Well,.......

Well it would be great if we could use Modern/Mohawk Storm in the current PvE. Sort of a one last time deal. In the Heroic City sub event, players can only use Classic Storm. It would be great if D3 could change it to 1* or 3* Storm for the remaining sub events. A final farewell to one of the best powers in the game. A chance to use mistress of the elements buffed one last time before it gets changed. icon_e_biggrin.gif Now, I know that mistress of the elements is not being taken away completely, just altered. Taken, or altered, the end result is still the same. Mistress of the Elements will no longer be the same.

So I'm wondering if theres a chance that D3 can do this for us. If this is the last I will be able to use Storm's red like it is, then, well, I would like to use it. On a buffed hero is even better. Maybe they can just take out Classic Storm and then switch her out for her 1* modern counterpart.

I am excited by the upcoming changes, and even though I will be losing mistress of elements power, I will be gaining something different. Now, it may be worse, and it might turn out pretty much the same. Or, it could turn out to be my new favorite. As I said, I reserve judgements. But this is not about what the changes will be, but about the thing being changed.

This thread basically is my way of saying goodbye to one of my favorite powers in the entire game. If only we could have had a farewell party, ( ie. using buffed 1* storm one last time in the current PvE ). for good old Ms Munroe.

Ororo Munroe, mistress of the elements, you will be gone, but not forgotten.

JJ
    EDIT: Having tried out the new team up feature, I must say I really enjoy this addition to the game. Storms MotE is still pretty much the same as before. The only major difference is in the Ap cost, 5 ap to 9. Which means I can't cast as often, but still very fun to use.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was having fun seeing how far I could get in LRs using LT/mstorm in the desert (Rags and at least one other always had it). It was like a little dose of nostalgia every week. Will be sad to see it go, but hopefully this team up thing will be a fun enough replacement.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2014
    This only really kills her synergy with EAP. Since EAP is pretty much out on every stage, she will now generate AP for Team-Up instead. All this really means is no more desert, no forest, no more danger room. All the areas are now the same, exactly the same. Just different backdrops. This will opening up the option to add more background art for new areas since they no longer have to figure out what EAP ability to give it. I'm all for this change as it gives every team a level playing field now.
  • This only really kills her synergy with EAP. Since EAP is pretty much out on every stage, she will not generate AP for Team-Up instead. All this really means is no more desert, no forest, no more danger room. All the areas are now the same, exactly the same. Just different backdrops. This will opening up the option to add more background art for new areas since they no longer have to figure out what EAP ability to give it. I'm all for this change as it gives every team a level playing field now.

Umm.... Mistress of the Elements still works in the same way as before, except that it picks up to a finite number of Team-Up (White) AP, instead of every Environment tile on the board.

Storm (Modern) - Mistress of the Elements

Mistress of the Elements - Yellow 9 AP
    Clouds darken the battlefield and lightning streaks across the sky as Storm's awesome power inspires her teammates and assaults her foes. Destroys up to 5 Team-Up tiles, generating Team-Up AP and dealing 4 damage per tile.

Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Deals 4 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 3: Deals 5 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 4: Deals 5 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 5: Destroys 6 Team-Up tiles
    Max Level: 61 damage for each Team-Up tile

Storm (Gold) - Mistress of the Elements

Clouds darken the battlefield and lightning streaks across the sky as Storm's awesome power inspires her teammates and assaults her foes. Destroys up to 5 Team-Up tiles, generating Team-Up AP and dealing 38 damage per tile.

Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Deals 46 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 3: Deals 53 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 4: Deals 68 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 5: Destroys 7 Team-Up tiles

So.... she's not quite dead.. yet. Depending on the power of Team-Up actions, Mistress could be quite powerful as it will be the ONLY Team-Up (White) AP accelerating ability (at least for now).
This discussion has been closed.