Upcoming Change: Character Level Shift

Comments

• mytisbrewin
    mytisbrewin Posts: 439 Mover and Shaker
    mohio wrote:
    locked wrote:
    Still reading, but LYCRA MAX OUT YOUR GAZILLION OF 140s, STAT!

edit: although the ISO should be the same?.. Still, no reason to underlevel a character now, nice!
    well, 165 is more of a nice looking number than 166 right? We have one of these guys in our alliance too and I joked he was going to have to delete all his 2* and re-level them cause 94 is just too unsightly.
    Yes you did didn't you. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Lycra wrote:
    That was literally the first thing I balked at. "94" wat the random!?!
    This person gets it.
  • Yup, there's a couple of people in mine too who do everything in even fives - they're going to have coronaries. My quirk is leveling everyone evenly, so this just means the two 4*s will be off the table for a while.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Yup, there's a couple of people in mine too who do everything in even fives - they're going to have coronaries. My quirk is leveling everyone evenly, so this just means the two 4*s will be off the table for a while.
    haha same here all of my roster is in increments of 5's and 10's with one or two exceptions. the loose numbers always get get to me.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sorry Ice, but I don't think this change is going to have the impact on 2* players you think it will.

I have 8 max 2*, and most of the 3*s in some capacity. The biggest soft cap I have is a 53 black panther. Even if he's a 78 black panther, it's doubtful I'm going to pull him off the bench very much, when I'll have 7 level 94 characters ahead of him, all with better abilities because they're max covered

Nor am I going to suddenly dump ISO into one 3* just because I get the covers. What I am going to do is likely build duplicates of the 94s, where covers are more readily available and the ISO cost of leveling is cheaper.

I can see how this would help make an insta jump from 1 -> 3, but if you're firmly entrenched in 2* land, this is really a nothing change, other than characters being a wee bit stronger.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    So this essentially forces you to get better rosters.

1*'s---50
    (35)
    2*'s---85
    (56)
    3*s---141
    (89)
    4*'s---230

Now

1*---50
    (44)
    2*---94
    (72)
    3*---166
    (104)
    4*---270

As you can see, we are in some big trouble when Fury gets released and X-Force gets fixed. You are having to deal with an extra 15 levels on those guys than you were before.

2*'s are 25% more powerful than 1*'s now
    3*'s are 28.5% more powerful than 2*'s now
    4*'s are 16.8% more powerful than 3*'s now

At least 3*'s got the biggest buff compared to their lower tier, but damn. I'm worried about Fury
  • first change in a while that I'm excited about.. guess it's time to start lvling up your 4* now.
  • Phaserhawk
    Sorry Ice, but I don't think this change is going to have the impact on 2* players you think it will.

I have 8 max 2*, and most of the 3*s in some capacity. The biggest soft cap I have is a 53 black panther. Even if he's a 78 black panther, it's doubtful I'm going to pull him off the bench very much, when I'll have 7 level 94 characters ahead of him, all with better abilities because they're max covered

Nor am I going to suddenly dump ISO into one 3* just because I get the covers. What I am going to do is likely build duplicates of the 94s, where covers are more readily available and the ISO cost of leveling is cheaper.

I can see how this would help make an insta jump from 1 -> 3, but if you're firmly entrenched in 2* land, this is really a nothing change, other than characters being a wee bit stronger.

As you can see by my other post it will. Putting Iso into 3*'s is 28.5% more effective than putting into another 2*. Before you had to get a 3* to about lvl 95 give or take 1 to equal the stats of a maxed 2*. Let's take L.Thor and Thor. Thor was better than LThor until lvl 95 I remember this specifically. At lvl 96 LThor led in all categories and was the better of the two. It costs about 4K more Iso to make a 3* better than a 2*, thats from the charts. 3559 more iso from maxing a level 2, to getting a level 3 to lvl 95. But now.....because it's 28.5% more effective to level up a 3*. Your now lvl 94 2* which according to the old ways would be equal to a lvl 104 3* is now only better than a lvl 100 3*. And guess what, that's roughly equivalent to a lvl 90 3* right now, which costs 4989 less ISO than current 85 2*. Thats where it's better. You can level up a 3* to level 90 or lvl 100 in new stats for less ISO than maxing a 2* to 85 or lvl 94 in new stats and the 3* is more powerful than the 2*.

Basically once the new stats appear. Any lvl 90 3*'s you have right now, which are slightly weaker than your lvl 85 2*'s right now, will become more powerful than your 2*'s once this happens. They could of just solved this by lowering the ISO costs but that would have pissed off players that already maxed out their characters. In short. Invest in 3*'s over your 2*'s
  • This shift being available right before the end of the season is done purposefully. Many guys will max Fury out. Big $$$ for D3P. Nothing wrong with that if we live happy ever after.

At 189 he is just ok-ish. At 270 will probably be cool.

The announcement is a way of saying "you get more for the same price". Not so bad, but I don't see the overall change since all characters are impacted.
  • Phaserhawk
    Playing with the numbers. I did see maybe some cause for being okay.

A 2* would have to be lvl 100 to be twice as powerful as a 1*, in theory. They will cap at 94, so 6 lvls short of being twice as powerful. vs. before they were 15 levels short.

a 3* would have to be lvl 188 to be twice as powerful as new 2*'s in theory. They cap at 166, so 22 lvls short vs. before they were 29 lvls short

a 4* would have to be lvl 332 to be twice as powerful as new 3*'s in theory. They cap at 270, so 62 lvls short vs. before they were 52 lvls short

So 2*'s are closer to being twice as powerful than 1*'s, 3*'s are closer to being twice as powerful as 2*'s, but 4 stars are farther from being twice as powerful as 3*'s, so maybe a good thing after all.
  • Phaserhawk
    arktos1971 wrote:
    This shift being available right before the end of the season is done purposefully. Many guys will max Fury out. Big $$$ for D3P. Nothing wrong with that if we live happy ever after.

The announcement is a way of saying "you get more for the same price". Not so bad, but I don't see the overall change since all characters are impacted.

But not by the same rates. 2's only get 9 lvls, 3's get 25 lvls, and 4's get 40 levels. If it were the same than level 3's would only be 150 and 4*'s would only be level 239
  • Unknown
    edited July 2014
    IceIX wrote:
    Most forumites seem to agree that Magneto is overpowered and deserves a small nerf, but also seem to agree that he isn't being heavily overused.
    He's not heavily overused in PVP. In PVE on the other hand, he and Good Ol' Tuxedo Man are by far and away the most used characters in the advanced 3* crowd.
    After the healing changes CMags and Patch are my A team in both pve and pvp. Why? Because they are fun to play and very efficient. CMags is fast and Patch is the one to take the big hits since he can heal. Patch's strike tiles are the only reliable way I have found to take down teams with 7k+ health without having to use 3 healing packs after every match. LThor is strong, but incredibly boring since everything you do points to his green. You don't get satisfaction out of using his red or yellow, unless you suddenly find yourself with 14 green AP. Then it's pretty much game over, but this is not fun for me. Psylocke is much more fun and if her blue wasn't nerfed on her release I would use her more. Too bad Punisher is better at almost everything she does.

I hope you release more characters with ability costs in the 6-9 area and not 9+ as we see lately. I think this is the main reason I am not thrilled with She-Hulk and why I almost never see GSBW in pvp. Players want to use the character abilities, not spend 2 minutes making matches so they can get the 12 AP for an ability that is completely random, like She-Hulk's green. If CMags is nerfed to infinity I think I will give another chance to Psylocke or start using Punisher again since I can spam their abilities (spamming is fun). The thing is, players will always have a preferable team, either because they were easy to get and level, or because they make a great team. And in the current meta, without Strike tiles games just take too long to finish. Patch and LDaken will be very strong in the coming months, not only because they heal, but also because they win games fast. I believe teams of those 2 with a third character to either overwrite enemy tiles or a DPS focus will be the most used team in next season.

I hope your goal is to make everyone great, but after the recent nerfs I have this feeling you would be more happy with everyone being equally mediocre since this is easier to achieve. This will certainly increase team diversity, but will the game be any fun? I really hope it is.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:
    This shift being available right before the end of the season is done purposefully. Many guys will max Fury out. Big $$$ for D3P. Nothing wrong with that if we live happy ever after.

But not by the same rates. 2's only get 9 lvls, 3's get 25 lvls, and 4's get 40 levels. If it were the same than level 3's would only be 150 and 4*'s would only be level 239

Yes sure, but I don't see how it can be better for "new to the game" players or the ones transitionning, if they face monster 3* rosters in pvp ?

However, I don't know if someone with a full 2* roster (and few 3*) will meet big 3* rosters if his MMR is high (i.e. he is regularly in the 1100+ zone).

That's my main concern.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:

As you can see by my other post it will. Putting Iso into 3*'s is 28.5% more effective than putting into another 2*. Before you had to get a 3* to about lvl 95 give or take 1 to equal the stats of a maxed 2*. Let's take L.Thor and Thor. Thor was better than LThor until lvl 95 I remember this specifically. At lvl 96 LThor led in all categories and was the better of the two. It costs about 4K more Iso to make a 3* better than a 2*, thats from the charts. 3559 more iso from maxing a level 2, to getting a level 3 to lvl 95. But now.....because it's 28.5% more effective to level up a 3*. Your now lvl 94 2* which according to the old ways would be equal to a lvl 104 3* is now only better than a lvl 100 3*. And guess what, that's roughly equivalent to a lvl 90 3* right now, which costs 4989 less ISO than current 85 2*. Thats where it's better. You can level up a 3* to level 90 or lvl 100 in new stats for less ISO than maxing a 2* to 85 or lvl 94 in new stats and the 3* is more powerful than the 2*.

Basically once the new stats appear. Any lvl 90 3*'s you have right now, which are slightly weaker than your lvl 85 2*'s right now, will become more powerful than your 2*'s once this happens. They could of just solved this by lowering the ISO costs but that would have pissed off players that already maxed out their characters. In short. Invest in 3*'s over your 2*'s

Interesting points. You're still talking about a 3* that was lvl 65-75 the old way, so roughly acquiring 7-9 covers, somewhere in that range. Currently I only have 4 with at least 5 covers (bp 6, sentry/hulk/im40 5). The 13 others I have are all at 4 or less (diversity).

The question (to me) remains whether I can get additional covers fast enough to justify saving the ISO for them, or just continuing to expand at 2*. I guess reality is I have to save either way, and I can decide where I'm at once I get the required 13 covers for Ares/OBW/Thor. But it definitely strikes me as the acquisition of 3* covers is still going to be too slow to justify waiting.
  • So the new players with all the tweaks won ***s and sold them off bigtime instead of buying roster slot packs.As a lvl15 no-power guy really not looks keeping. Now it is lvl40 that is same as max of half **s and barely under max of the rest -- the hope is they think about the sell twice.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    So any words for MMR bucket adjustment before the level shift?
  • _M4ru_
    _M4ru_ Posts: 91 Match Maker
    IceIX wrote:
    Right now, many many players get to having 3 Level 50 1*s and never level up 2 stars. Why would they? ... So they sit with their 1*s until they get bored with the game since there's "nothing else to do". ... Gameplay options open up for the people lower down on the totem pole.

Well, that's great and all but... I'm not a new/beginner player! I have over 600 hours of MPQ on the clock and i just quit an awesome alliance (definitely not going to play MPQ every single day anymore) because i'm bored of this endless pvp/pve/pvp/pve cycle. I understand that getting new people to play your game is important for you and helping them out is awesome but what about us advanced/veterans/hardcore grinders? When are you going to help us? When are you going to introduce something new and worth playing for? When loyalty and long term play will start to matter to you D3? Right now i "sit with my 3*s/2*s and one 1* and am bored since there's nothing else to do. Gamplay options close down for the people up on the totem pole".
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    The devs really need to address the MMR issue before anything else. cause there is no reason someone with 2 141' and a buffed featured should be able to see and take away points form someone with 2 85's and a features a little above 100 in a pvp. i'd be different if i wanted to fight out of my weight class and try and get points higher than 27, it's another to be socked from behind and lose 35 points from someone if i could retaliated against and get 7 points back
  • Pats0132
    Pats0132 Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    I totally agree. I think there should be some sort of adjustment on the max you can lose or have people only see you within a 200 point bracket or something. That way it don't come out of a match and have 100 plus point losses. Maybe have something thst your team can only be fighting 1 team at a time. Something different. However the biggest change is coming up with another mode. Pvp and pve can only sustain for so much longer before people will quit. I think a new mode should be installed before more characters. That way we can have a few more days inbetween pve.
  • I apologize that this post is only a tangent to some of the discussion here. However, I have to ask based on D3's previous actions and Ice's comments including in this thread, is it going to continue to be D3's policy to go "oh you like that character, nerf bat time!" and "oh that character has synergy, let's just nerf the **** out of that!"

With regards to this change, I'd actually like it if you hadn't just nerfed healing. The one small positive out of that was increased regen...which lasted for all of a few days because now our characters will have more hp to regen.

I've been stuck in the transition from 2* to 3* since thorverine was still legal and the ever growing wall of 141s combined with now being limited to 15 minute play sessions isn't going to make that any easier.

At the end of the day I'm saying more needs to be done to make the transition easier if D3 wants people in that 3* bracket, which given that the most characters are in this group seems accurate.
  • The devs really need to address the MMR issue before anything else. cause there is no reason someone with 2 141' and a buffed featured should be able to see and take away points form someone with 2 85's and a features a little above 100 in a pvp. i'd be different if i wanted to fight out of my weight class and try and get points higher than 27, it's another to be socked from behind and lose 35 points from someone if i could retaliated against and get 7 points back

Quite the opposite as long as everyone fights in the same arena for the same stuff, there is no reason to have MMR at all.
    Why you think a developed guy deserves to see only 141 folks? What is the benefit of leveling up and be in the top 1%? Not to be able to meet weaker opponents 99% of the time?

Just as you with your 85s that let's assume are good for the best 25% should have easy time to find lower opponents and get points, and not be bothered if a really rare 141 guy hits you instead a much weaker someone.

If games are assigned by MMR there should be massive advantage from having it high, being able to get much bigger prizes like that happens elsewhere with such system in place.