No Holds Barred

Comments

• Could someone clarify for me so I can make the op as complete as possible. If the top reward shows a Green IW cover will it for sure be Green or could it be any of the three since it doesn't specify like it does for say 2nd place.

Clearly having taken part in numerous tourneys hasn't helped... observation is not my strong suit. Thanks.

If there's only one cover then it's guaranteed to be whatever color is being shown.
  • Zathrus wrote:

If there's only one cover then it's guaranteed to be whatever color is being shown.
    Thanks!
  • I am afraid to start my bracket. The enemy foebeard impedes my way. I am half afraid his team will change mid fight and ill be stuck fighting level 999 chuck Norris and a lvl 250 mullet or something. That and I realized it ends @ 6 am..and its nearly 3 am...and I'd rather start a bracket with ppl who won't be on destroying my score while I sleep. It's all moot if foebeard doesn't make like BL4CKHAM and leave a 1 1 1 team.

He's in my bracket sitting at #199 with 8 points so he has played at least one match!
  • Question for IceIX: I know you haven't been on the forums a lot lately. There seem to be a lot of haters at the moment so I can't blame you. But a quick question: Any chance the Original black widow covers in this tournament (or maybe the second one of the week) could include a black cover instead of Bluex2?

And if you can find this question buried in this thread it will be proof that the developers do read our comments and give them consideration as you continue to work out the kinks in the game. Thanks
  • What are people's brackets looking like? I joined half an hour ago and I'm already 8th at only 133. Is it just a slow tourney or am I in a slow bracket? Progression rewards will be a tough get it looks like icon_e_sad.gif
  • jozier wrote:
    What are people's brackets looking like? I joined half an hour ago and I'm already 8th at only 133. Is it just a slow tourney or am I in a slow bracket? Progression rewards will be a tough get it looks like icon_e_sad.gif

I'm in 2nd with 313 in my bracket. Doesn't sem like many have jumped in on this one yet
  • jozier wrote:
    What are people's brackets looking like? I joined half an hour ago and I'm already 8th at only 133. Is it just a slow tourney or am I in a slow bracket? Progression rewards will be a tough get it looks like icon_e_sad.gif

You'd only been in the bracket for half an hour...
  • jozier wrote:

Looks like you got a slow bracket. I'm at #2 with 634, but with no buffs there will likely be a lot more retaliations (I've been hit a bunch already) and competition for the top spots. I'm aiming for 1000 before the end, but I don't expect much more than that.

I'm okay with anything in the Top 10. Would be nice to get a second color for IW, but I still need GSBW green covers so if I miss it by a spot or two I'll still be very happy.

I jumped in right after the tourney started, so I think a bunch of active euros probably got the ball rolling too. I'm playing the anti-meta game now. Since everyone here is waiting to start, I'm hitting the first brackets to avoid seeing scary names in there - seems to really be working so far!
  • i might sit out both of these tournaments, my motivation to play in these two are pretty damn low for the goals
  • #1 w/ 529, #2 has 443. Don't recognize any other names in my bracket.
  • forgrim wrote:
    i might sit out both of these tournaments, my motivation to play in these two are pretty damn low for the goals

Yeah I might make a run at the 1100 progression reward and then drop to a level to get the Original Widow covers. Although I already have 4 blue and 2 purple so its very little gain. Especially when i dont want to go to 3 purple because with any decent team i use the black ap steal is useless. I hate when I have to choose not to level an ability to keep it from being less effective while costing more ap (I''m looking at you IM40).
  • Removing the 500 HP reward tiers have been a huge disincentive in me joining these tournaments. I know I won't reach the 1100 tier, so there is no real reason to join these until the last few hours when the brackets will be easier and I can make a nice steady climb with a wealth of opponents that have way more points.
  • the moose wrote:
    Although I already have 4 blue and 2 purple so its very little gain. Especially when i dont want to go to 3 purple because with any decent team i use the black ap steal is useless. I hate when I have to choose not to level an ability to keep it from being less effective while costing more ap (I''m looking at you IM40).

I had the same hesitation going to 3 purple, but I can tell you that the extra AP doesn't make much of a difference. I play original Widow quite a lot, and here's what I've noticed:

- With boosts, your first purple match enables the ability, whether you're at 2 purple or 3.
    - Without boosts, it's uncommon to find yourself with 7 but not 8.
    - I trigger double recons almost as often as I used to at 2-purple, but it's rare that I actually want to trigger doubles since the enemy rarely has enough AP for me to want to spend a second recon right away.
    - The black steal is occasionally useful, e.g. in Lightning rounds against Doom, against high-level PvE Venoms, etc. Might also become more useful in the future for pairing with Doom or Punisher.
    - I don't usually think of the level cap as a major consideration, but there's that too.

For me the big question is whether to go to 4 purple. At the moment I'm leaning no, because 10 AP is a big difference over 8 (significantly harder to trigger a second one, not guaranteed to be ready on the first purple match, rare for me to want to steal 4 instead of 3). But the black passive might change my mind, depending on how often I'm able to steal purple.

Totally agree on IM40 though. Slowly becoming convinced that 2-yellow is where it's at.
  • Totally agree on IM40 though. Slowly becoming convinced that 2-yellow is where it's at.

Totally disagree. You really cannot think of anyone to team up with IM40 that can use green effectively?

Particularly, to use green effectively after getting a boost of red?

I'm not so sure of IM40's utility when not boosted, but that has nothing to do w/ his Recharge skill.
  • Levelling his recharge let's AI use him better IMO. I feed opposing im40 yellows so I can leave him with 1. Lousy ap and stuns himself. With maxed yellow he doesn't use it unless he has too. Offensively 5 yellow is lame. Mine was an 0/5/4 forever when I was starting out so I said screw it. 1/5/5 now. Haha. I don't even use it anymore unless it's like last option.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Removing the 500 HP reward tiers have been a huge disincentive in me joining these tournaments. I know I won't reach the 1100 tier, so there is no real reason to join these until the last few hours when the brackets will be easier and I can make a nice steady climb with a wealth of opponents that have way more points.

Posts like these are mind boggling to me. Did you guys really have it that easy two months ago before us Steam players got the game? Better rewards, cheaper packs, events with nonstop ISO and health packs from events? Ridiculous. No wonder you guys got away with tons of high end rewards without spending much if anything. Not really a complaint, but wow!
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Removing the 500 HP reward tiers have been a huge disincentive in me joining these tournaments. I know I won't reach the 1100 tier, so there is no real reason to join these until the last few hours when the brackets will be easier and I can make a nice steady climb with a wealth of opponents that have way more points.

Posts like these are mind boggling to me. Did you guys really have it that easy two months ago before us Steam players got the game? Better rewards, cheaper packs, events with nonstop ISO and health packs from events? Ridiculous. No wonder you guys got away with tons of high end rewards without spending much if anything. Not really a complaint, but wow!

the 500 hp rewards come and go, so u'll probably have a chance to go at it again.
  • Toxicadam wrote:

Sorta. The only significant difference in rewards is removing the 500 HP reward from most tournaments (it was a 1000 to 1200 point progression reward). Up until a few patches ago having your account connected by Facebook was a huge source of ISO, but that's been dramatically scaled back. Health packs were never particularly plentiful until the re-run of the Red ISO (Chapter 1) tournament a couple weeks ago.

And nothing compares to the huge amount of ISO that was given out as part of The Hunt. That eclipses even Lightning Rounds for ISO generation.
  • Posts like these are mind boggling to me. Did you guys really have it that easy two months ago before us Steam players got the game? Better rewards, cheaper packs, events with nonstop ISO and health packs from events? Ridiculous. No wonder you guys got away with tons of high end rewards without spending much if anything. Not really a complaint, but wow!

ISO was a lot tighter (because there were fewer events), but the game was more generous with HP, health packs, more covers, more exploits, etc.

I think without question the game is harder for the person starting today than the person who started the first week of October.

Which is a shame, because the game expects those two people to compete for the same prizes.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    Totally disagree. You really cannot think of anyone to team up with IM40 that can use green effectively?
    Particularly, to use green effectively after getting a boost of red?
    I'm not so sure of IM40's utility when not boosted, but that has nothing to do w/ his Recharge skill.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think it's clear cut at all. I've been back and forth on whether I'd rather go 5/5/2, 5/5/3, or even 4/5/4 on IM40 a dozen times. It's not that I can't think of anyone who can use the green -- I assume you're talking about Wolverine, but I think the green would be quite welcome for CStorm and MStorm as well -- but I find that with boosts, by the time I have 10 yellow, the board is mostly full of strike tiles already.

Consider that to get to 10, you're usually looking at 2 yellow matches (1 4-match if you get lucky). Then it's two more matches to get the countdowns to trigger, and that's assuming that you didn't have to make any extra yellow matches to prevent your countdowns from being placed in easily matchable locations. So best case you're looking at 3 matches; usually you're looking at 4 and sometimes 5 matches. If just two of those 3-5 matches are green, which seems reasonable on most boards, by the time your countdowns trigger, you've already got 8 strike tiles.

This does assume none of the strike tiles get matched and that the board is not overly red, but it also assumes you don't get any extra red in the meantime. I just don't think you're going to get full benefit out of the green AP by the time you get it.