Average level really a factor in MMR?

Options
Renaldoo
Renaldoo Posts: 114
edited June 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Is there any confirmation on this? Many top players have weird rosters including things like 5 level 1 black widow's, and such nonsense. I mean, I guess that's a great way to get people to spend HP expanding their roster to include characters they have no intention of leveling, but I feel this is outside the spirit of the game. Perhaps if the devs feel that average roster level is important, take instead only the top 10 or so characters.

Comments

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    Some people have multiple copies of 1*s that they use for tanking. That's probably what that is for.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The random 1*s are to be able to tank effectively. If you have empty slots you can sell them instead of waiting for a revive
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Renaldoo wrote:
    Is there any confirmation on this? Many top players have weird rosters including things like 5 level 1 black widow's, and such nonsense. I mean, I guess that's a great way to get people to spend HP expanding their roster to include characters they have no intention of leveling, but I feel this is outside the spirit of the game. Perhaps if the devs feel that average roster level is important, take instead only the top 10 or so characters.

No there isn't. The reason you see multiple copies of MBW is because they're using the MBWs to tank - seeing how they're the quick to kill off against the AI. So they are still gaming the system and it is outside the spirit of the game though not in the way you're thinking.

Disclaimer: yeah I tank here and there.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Bugpop is the only guy who have a lot of experience and his conclusion is that your MMR is determined by the average level of the characters you used to win with in PvP, which makes a lot of sense. To get level 85 opponents, you have to win with level 85 characters. Losing doesn't do the trick anymore since it's obviously very easy to lose to any level of opponents by clicking on 'retreat'.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Bugpop is the only guy who have a lot of experience and his conclusion is that your MMR is determined by the average level of the characters you used to win with in PvP, which makes a lot of sense. To get level 85 opponents, you have to win with level 85 characters. Losing doesn't do the trick anymore since it's obviously very easy to lose to any level of opponents by clicking on 'retreat'.

Retreating used to make an impact but doesn't anymore. Actually losing with a tank team will demonstrably lower the levels and roster sizes of your match ups.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    My take on it is this...

Your MMR is determined by your wins and losses (whether offensive or defensive). Likely over-simplified...winning matches raises your MMR and losing matches lowers your MMR, by what amount is likely determined by the MMR of your opponent (but who knows). When you raise the levels of your characters, you're able to beat people of higher MMR and lose fewer defensive matches, thus raising your own MMR. You eventually reach an equilibrium point with your new character levels. If you use boosts to get by tough fights, you would be inflating your MMR over it's normal equilibrium point (and often results in seeing opponents way out of your league)...but will eventually normalize again after everybody in that MMR range picks on you.