True value of MPQ......

Options
IamTheDanger
IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I first want to say I am NOT realated in any way, shape or form to anyone at D3.(as has been suggested in the past).
This post will probably not go over too well, but I just wanted to try to make a point.

First thing to remember is; D3 is a business, the purpose of a business is to make money. "But why should we pay at all?", some might ask. Well, it's like going out and spending $20 to see a movie, or $100 to see a live concert. You do it for the entertainment value. Seeing a movie gets you no material gain, yet people do it every day.

And some will argue that this game is advertised as "Free to Play". And it can be. It just takes a lot longer to advance. But you cant expect D3 to spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week on a game then give it all away for free. Making this game is their job, how they pay their bills. For me personally, I can not stand being bored. The ultimate torture for me would be to lock me in a room for days with no stimulus of any kind. I'd go crazy in 2 hours. So I dont mind paying some one to keep me entertained.

On the other hand, some of the decisions made are not what I would have done, but I dont make the rules. Also, I only started this game about 4 months ago, or something like that. I think part of the problem is that when the game first came out, it was different and cheaper, not sure because I wasn't around then. But it seems like many changes were made that people did not care for. I don't really care for the C Mag nerf thats coming, but I dont have much choice. My only choice is to not play. But I have loved comics since before I can remember. Back in my Batman diapers and Superman footie pajamas. And match 3 is very addictive, so the 2 together for me is very entertaining.

And that is the true value of MPQ, it's entertainment value. So you need to ask yourself whether or not this game keeps you occupied and entertained. Think about the answer and go from there. For me, the answer is yes, I am entertained. Not happy about a few things, but overall I am satisfied.
And just to be clear, I do not completely agree with recent changes, this post is more about the cost of playing than actual game play. The value is something that is different for everyone. What this game is worth to me is not the same as it is for others. So if it's not worth it to make in game purchases then by all means, don't. But do not begrudge others like myself that do because to me, personally, it's worth it.

JJ

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I'm 57 days played. I'm on the receiving end of a nerf that hurt my roster that was built using guides on this forum, and I've dumped all my saved ISO into building more 2*s to give me more options.

That isn't what hurts the most.

I've had to considerably lessen the amount of time I can play, waiting on health packs, which has resulted in me losing ground in every event.

What hurts the most is when I finally get a reward token for something:

spooderbag.png

Spooderbag for the last four reward tokens in a row.

That's what crushes my soul.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fidsah wrote:
    I'm 57 days played. I'm on the receiving end of a nerf that hurt my roster that was built using guides on this forum, and I've dumped all my saved ISO into building more 2*s to give me more options.

I've had to considerably lessen the amount of time I can play, waiting on health packs, which has resulted in me losing ground in every event.

What hurts the most is when I finally get a reward token for something:
    spooderbag.png

Spooderbag for the last four reward tokens in a row.

That's what crushes my soul.

O.K. you got me there, the whole repeat covers is a pain in the a..... kitty. They should have a trade up system, like collect 50 of the 1* covers and trade them for 1 of the 2*, then 50 - 2* for 3*. Something to make repeat covers not so f... tiny tiny kitty. Plus it guarantees a 3* cover. Buying something for its entertainment value is ok if you get your moneys worth. Buying a 10 pack of covers just to get 4 IM35 and 3 Modern Storm is not worth it. But I still enjoy the game.
  • Unknown
    Options
    O.K. you got me there, the whole repeat covers is a pain in the a..... kitty. They should have a trade up system, like collect 50 of the 1* covers and trade them for 1 of the 2*, then 50 - 2* for 3*. Something to make repeat covers not so f... tiny tiny kitty.

I'd love it if they removed Spooderbag, Daken, Bullseye, and Hawkeye from the Heroic event tokens. Spooderbags trolly 7.2% chance... It makes me sob.

Then there's the fun of, say, the math of the event tokens anyways:

Featured Character: 2.3%, 1 character
    Four Stars: 1.2%, 2 characters
    Three Stars: 0.7%, 17 characters
    2.5 Stars: 0.5%, 2 characters
    Two Stars: 7.2%, 10 characters
    1.5 Stars: 4.8%, 2 characters

2.3+(1.2*2)+(0.7*17)+(0.5*2)+(7.2*10)+(4.8*2) = 99.2

Players have a theoretical 11.9% chance to get one of 17 3*, and a 72% chance of getting another 2*, with a 10% chance of Spooderbag. With a minimum of 10 covers needed for a specific 3* character to be useful, you're talking a LOT of Spooderbags, and a missing .8%, which I'm sure defaults to Spooderbag.
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Boredom bad. Entertainment good.

As a person that feeds my family with the fruits of my intellectual property I always upgrade or make purchases on a game or app that I use with any frequency.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And that is the true value of MPQ, it's entertainment value.

So pray tell; how does the continued cost of paying for HP to finance roster slots ('deepening' your roster) or health packs stack up against going onto Steam and buying a triple-A title that can give you a few months worth of continued entertainment for a $10 pricepoint when on sale.

The correct answer is : IT DOESN'T.
  • Unknown
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:

So pray tell; how does the continued cost of paying for HP to finance roster slots ('deepening' your roster) or health packs stack up against going onto Steam and buying a triple-A title that can give you a few months worth of continued entertainment for a $10 pricepoint when on sale.

Then what are you doing here?
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:

Clearly, everyone values everything in exactly the same way.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:

How does spending $10 dollars for sitting at your desk playing a computer game for a couple of months compare to going outside, taking a jog and exercising for a $0 pricepoint?

The correct answer is: stop making illogical arguments like this when you clearly arent the target audience for this game. Ugh, this forum atmosphere is clearly starting to rub off on me. Sigh.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I for one certainly don't begrudge D3 or anyone else from making money. I just don't care for the business model that D3 is pursuing. The constant nerfing of characters only frustrates me. It doesn't entice me to spend my money. Last week I decided to pop some of my standard tokens just for the heck of it, and I pulled a Lazy Thor. I'm still living in 2* land, so pulling a cool 3* character was pretty exciting. I didn't have any open roster slots available and I was about to spend some money to buy one, when I stopped myself. I asked myself if I really wanted to spend money on this character when it's likely to get nerfed before I could get enough covers to use it. The answer was no.

I ended up chucking out a lone Loki cover to make room for the Lazy Thor. If I believed that I could someday get good use out of both Lazy Thor and Loki I would have bought the new roster slot.

What I would like to see D3 do instead of nerfing characters is to create new characters that can negate the ones that seem overpowered. For instance, if Spidey's stun/heal combination is too powerful, create a Sandman (or other Spidey villain) who is immune to Spidey's stun and is able to wipe his web tiles from the board. You can counter Spidey's power without nerfing him, add new content, and entice people to spend more money to get the new character. Then it's up to us players to come up with new strategies for dealing with new characters. I'd find that approach to be much more fun than having my characters' powers stripped from them.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Value is entirely subjective, there is no right or wrong answer to this one. This game is worth whatever people are willing to spend on it. Due to personal circumstances I am not in a position to finance my gaming habits like I used to so any money I spend is on AAA blockbuster titles or JRPG's. I would much rather spend £40 on something like Tales Of Vesperia than the latest Call Of Duty.

On th subject of MPQ in its current state I would say it isnt worth anything. Lazy development, broken match making, bugs galore and now the recent changes to the healing system makes for a very hostile game environment. If however D3 made all the story chapters avaliable for ofline play like Prologue is I would most likely pay £1.99 or so for it like I did with Puzzle Quest 2 on my tablet.