Funny thing about heroic token odds...

Options
Dayv
Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
It is now almost twice as easy to build a 4* X-Force Wolverine or Invisible Woman from Heroic tokens as it is to build any specific 3*. Single token odds are 1.2% per 4* and .7% per 3*, or 1.% and .9% for multipacks (insert Leeloo joke here).

Sure, you're more likely to get a 3* overall, but you'll get a ton of single cover 3* characters first, on average, while the small field of 4* in tokens ensures that when you do pull one, you're far more likely to be able to add to a character.

This might seem like an odd way of looking at it, but it occurred to me when I looked at two different friends' rosters who were in the early-to-mid 2* phase. One had the back half of his roster filled with over half a dozen basically unusable 3* covers stuck at level 15 while he had just gotten his fourth X-Force Wolverine, while the other was selling off much-loved 3* singletons to keep his logically "precious" 4* covers he had managed to build to like 2 covers each.

My point here is two-fold:

1) there aren't enough 4* characters to justify the current token distribution odds.

2) it's hard out there for a non-forum-reading newbie.

P.S.: one of these guys has a level 85 Bag-Man. It made me so sad, yo.

Comments

• reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It really is silly. I opened 39 heroics today in the hope of getting some 3* Storm and Sentry covers now that they have been added. I got three 3*s -- a Storm, Punisher, and IM40. I also got 3 X-Force (2 green and a red) and 1 Invisible Woman. I won't complain about getting all that extra ISO when I could have had four Bagmen, but I would rather that they lower the odds on 2*s that are available as rewards for PVP battles and increase the odds on 3*s.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    It really is silly. I opened 39 heroics today in the hope of getting some 3* Storm and Sentry covers now that they have been added. I got three 3*s -- a Storm, Punisher, and IM40. I also got 3 X-Force (2 green and a red) and 1 Invisible Woman. I won't complain about getting all that extra ISO when I could have had four Bagmen, but I would rather that they lower the odds on 2*s that are available as rewards for PVP battles and increase the odds on 3*s.
    Sigh. Yeah, I just opened 5 10-packs I saved up from S1 & S2.

Usable covers: two Falcons, IM40 R, XWolv R

I also got 4 other 3*s, but they got melted down into Iso.

Congrats on getting a 3* Storm, though!
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    Meanwhile, I've used four standard tokens in the last two days and pulled a red CMags and another green Mostorm...

My supplications to RNGesus have paid off icon_e_biggrin.gif

Back on topic, the event tokens seem to have slightly better odds but the 4*s still have a higher chance of showing up than non-featured 3*s (assuming they're even a possibility) which really does seem kinda strange.
  • Tredo
    Tredo Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    It is now almost twice as easy to build a 4* X-Force Wolverine or Invisible Woman from Heroic tokens as it is to build any specific 3*. Single token odds are 1.2% per 4* and .7% per 3*, or 1.% and .9% for multipacks (insert Leeloo joke here).

Sure, you're more likely to get a 3* overall, but you'll get a ton of single cover 3* characters first, on average, while the small field of 4* in tokens ensures that when you do pull one, you're far more likely to be able to add to a character.

This might seem like an odd way of looking at it, but it occurred to me when I looked at two different friends' rosters who were in the early-to-mid 2* phase. One had the back half of his roster filled with over half a dozen basically unusable 3* covers stuck at level 15 while he had just gotten his fourth X-Force Wolverine, while the other was selling off much-loved 3* singletons to keep his logically "precious" 4* covers he had managed to build to like 2 covers each.

My point here is two-fold:

1) there aren't enough 4* characters to justify the current token distribution odds.

2) it's hard out there for a non-forum-reading newbie.

P.S.: one of these guys has a level 85 Bag-Man. It made me so sad, yo.

Without prologue healing, Bag-Man is actually looking better than his 3* alter-ego.

Also, hi Dayv! You're on my team again.