The Hunt

Comments

• If it makes you feel better...his green isn't controlled so it can blow up your own tiles once you get the spam going. In case anyone thought it was controlled like me for some reason.
    The randomness is a bit off-putting
  • CFacto
    CFacto Posts: 74 Match Maker
    I don't get people saying they got nothing from the event, playing most or all of the subs would have gotten you what, 60+ standard tokens, probably 5-10 heroics, and a few tens of thousands in iso. For pretty minimal effort.

Ending up with *not Punisher* is not the same as ending up with nothing.

I agree but judging by the reactions on here "not Punisher" is on a par with "the devs killed my family and ate my pets".
  • Misguided wrote:
    When you say grinding, do you mean playing the repeatables past the point where you had collected all the awards, or something else?

I mean playing the repeatables as long as they were giving me proper points and putting much effort into this event.

This is the problem with changing the scoring every event. I thought most people realized this wasn't beneficial in this event, but apparently not. We talked about it enough in this thread, but it's important to remember not everyone is on the bords constantly.
  • I don't get people saying they got nothing from the event, playing most or all of the subs would have gotten you what, 60+ standard tokens, probably 5-10 heroics, and a few tens of thousands in iso. For pretty minimal effort.

A very fine point sir! icon_e_ugeek.gif The sheer amount of iso I got from The Hunt is amazing. It allowed me to level Hawkeye to max level for the event, Doom to 100+ for his event and I still have nice pile of iso to spend icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I don't get people saying they got nothing from the event, playing most or all of the subs would have gotten you what, 60+ standard tokens, probably 5-10 heroics, and a few tens of thousands in iso. For pretty minimal effort.

Well, that's right for sure, but I'm just a bit pissed right now. Tbh, I think there will be enough chances to get the Punisher in the near future.
  • Misguided wrote:
    Misguided wrote:
    When you say grinding, do you mean playing the repeatables past the point where you had collected all the awards, or something else?

I mean playing the repeatables as long as they were giving me proper points and putting much effort into this event.

This is the problem with changing the scoring every event. I thought most people realized this wasn't beneficial in this event, but apparently not. We talked about it enough in this thread, but it's important to remember not everyone is on the bords constantly.

Err, I don't mean, I played till the points dropped to zero, but till i thought, the amount of points weren't worth the effort. And it went fine the whole event, but surprisingly not in the end.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2013
    JohnduBois wrote:
    That cannot be right - if no refill timer, events wouldn't grind down to 0.

Unlike the previous events, the points did not refill so there is actually a fixed amount of points you could obtain from each sub bracket.

With the limited number of points available, the only placement that mattered was the one at the end of the second last sub bracket. If you placed high then, the tournament was more or less yours if you cleared your missions towards the end.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Having the same problem. I was top 5 for the majority of the event. On the last day, none of my missions were giving points anymore, and I placed 16th. Basically, despite doing everything I could to get a high rank, the game just stopped giving me any way to earn more points.
  • Event was great but rubberbanding needs a tweak. Promoting playing less is counter intuitive for a game company but thats what they are promoting. Sub-brackets were great bc casual players could compete and I was fine that I was usually 200-400 in sub-brackets but I feel so disappointed with at 28 place finish only bc I ended 28 and feel the rubber banding did not kick in for me who played like a maniac only to wake up and have 80 total points to grind for savage on last day.
  • Fangel wrote:
    JohnduBois wrote:
    That cannot be right - if no refill timer, events wouldn't grind down to 0.

Unlike the previous events, the points did not refill so there is actually a fixed amount of points you could obtain from each sub bracket.

With the limited number of points available, the only placement that mattered was the one at the end of the second last sub bracket. If you placed high then, the tournament was more or less yours if you cleared your missions towards the end.

Pretty much this. The rubber banding only helped those that were falling behind to remain in the game.

Well, that's right for sure, but I'm just a bit pissed right now. Tbh, I think there will be enough chances to get the Punisher in the near future.

Yeah, I think there's just a lot of kneejerk reactions from disappointment right now. But the system definitely needs some tweaking IMO.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Event was great but rubberbanding needs a tweak. Promoting playing less is counter intuitive for a game company but thats what they are promoting. Sub-brackets were great bc casual players could compete and I was fine that I was usually 200-400 in sub-brackets but I feel so disappointed with at 28 place finish only bc I ended 28 and feel the rubber banding did not kick in for me who played like a maniac only to wake up and have 80 total points to grind for savage on last day.
    Sub-brackets also depended on your main bracket. I had to grind the 230s down to the double digits multiple times to barely claw into the high 300s for a few of them. Never even placed in the top 100s for any of them.
  • Bainee
    Bainee Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    I finished #1 in my bracket.
  • Spoit wrote:
    Event was great but rubberbanding needs a tweak. Promoting playing less is counter intuitive for a game company but thats what they are promoting. Sub-brackets were great bc casual players could compete and I was fine that I was usually 200-400 in sub-brackets but I feel so disappointed with at 28 place finish only bc I ended 28 and feel the rubber banding did not kick in for me who played like a maniac only to wake up and have 80 total points to grind for savage on last day.
    Sub-brackets also depended on your main bracket. I had to grind the 230s down to the double digits multiple times to barely claw into the high 300s for a few of them. Never even placed in the top 100s for any of them.

Same here!! Same exact!

And yet my Main Bracket place kept high the whole Event so the game was effectively telling me that what I was doing was right.

THIS is the essential problem. This is why so many people are so rightfully disappointed. For the entire event, there was a marker in place (your Main Bracket) that ostensibly told you how your overall performance was and it REINFORCED that action. Then with an hour left, that same system that you relied on broke down completely and proved you wrong.

People keep saying that we should have known better, but the game was telling us what to "know" the entire time.
  • Spoit wrote:

Yeah I know. I only got one tenth of the top score in most sub brackets. A tweak is in order and I wont be playing so often next time so maybe thats not a bad thing.

Don't try to explain something that is broken with something that works as it was supposed to...
  • If your quests gave you no more points, you played the game wrong. The point system is fantastic, play with it, not against it.
  • Microtom wrote:
    If your quests gave you no more points, you played the game wrong. The point system is fantastic, play with it, not against it.

This.
  • Microtom wrote:
    If your quests gave you no more points, you played the game wrong. The point system is fantastic, play with it, not against it.
    0 points is too harsh IMO, especially when it wasn't indicated.

The only reason I can see 0 points being good is to combat botters or other similar exploitative cheats.
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    I understand the frustration at the ending of The Hunt by many but I'd like to recap the evolution of PvE tournament events on MPQ so far.

First Red Iso tournament (10 days)- essentially was over after day one because the group at the top were going to grind the same point repeatables nearly 24/7. The big flaw in that one was the first set of repeatables were the highest point value and that set those who played first on their way. I figured it out a couple days too late and didn't grind incessantly but enough to finish Top 15.

Heroic Juggernaut- Rubberbanding implemented for the first time. There was a randomness to the points given out per mission and if you waited until the high point missions maxed out around 355 IIRC you could jump up the standing quickly. The reload was fairly quick so you had to play every 1-2 hours if you wanted to finish high. Finished 1st

Heroic Venom- Rubberbanding tweaked with ridiculous point swings depending on the high scorer in your bracket. Here starting late was a huge advantage. I didn't start late and really scrambled to finish Top 10 as a 2500 point lead evaporated in the last hour.

Second Red Iso tournament- Hybrid of the first with more tweaked rubberbanding and missions that recharged in 2-2.5 hour stacks. This was the same as the first one which rewarded consistent grinding as I built up a lead and never had anyone come close and finished first but it was the most effort I had to put into a tourney.

The Hunt- The rubberbanding was tweaked yet again this time everyone would have a chance as the points were allotted so that nobody could pull away by a few hundred points. The recharging stacks were again in play. I realized I wanted to grind the repeatables from Florida just before the end which left me at 8 before I went to sleep. when I woke up I was in the mid 60's. I waited to start Savage until 2hrs before the end and reaped every point out of the level and finished first by around 150-200.

I think the frustration comes from being too egalitarian with the points. There has to be a system which rewards consistent play for top prizes in the main and short term play is rewarded in the sub-missions. If the understanding of the rechargable stacks were better understood and explained it would've made it less irritating for those faced with 0pt missions in the last hour.

I do think the devs are using each event to try and make the next one better but they are still trying to figure it out and we as players keep trying to figure out what works best for us in rewarding consistent play versus casual play.