Status of tanking?

Options
2»

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Tanking works, but you have to full suicide a bunch of teams, it doesn't transfer from lightning rounds, and you need to do it every single pvp.
    I did not know this. Do Lightning Round wins also not carry over? One of the reasons I never participate in Lightning Rounds is because I don't want it to increase my MMR for regular PVP events.

A lot of people primarily used lightning rounds for tanking. If they disabled the losing linkage - which they appeared to have - they probably also disabled the winning link.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Tanking works, but you have to full suicide a bunch of teams, it doesn't transfer from lightning rounds, and you need to do it every single pvp.
    I did not know this. Do Lightning Round wins also not carry over? One of the reasons I never participate in Lightning Rounds is because I don't want it to increase my MMR for regular PVP events.

A lot of people primarily used lightning rounds for tanking. If they disabled the losing linkage - which they appeared to have - they probably also disabled the winning link.
    There's definitely still a link between LR MMR and normal PVP MMR - my levels in shield go up if I don't manage to put in a tank team in a LR.
    Could be the link is weaker, but it's definitely still there.
  • Unknown
    Options
    FoxyMulder wrote:
    First rule of tank club: YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT TANK CLUB

Cuz the devs will read it and then take it away from us

Guys I'm serious.

Talk about it somewhere else. PM people if you need to.

The devs don't actually PLAY the game, so only way they know about this stuff is when we talk about it here.

Lock them out of the conversation.
  • Unknown
    Options
    FoxyMulder wrote:
    FoxyMulder wrote:

Guys I'm serious.

The devs don't actually PLAY the game, so only way they know about this stuff is when we talk about it here.

Sharing is caring
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nerdrage wrote:
    Sharing is caring

By all means, please, share.

Just not here. Because then sharing=nerfing.
  • Unknown
    Options
    So that we're all on the same play level? .. by all means
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    FoxyMulder wrote:
    FoxyMulder wrote:

Guys I'm serious.

No. Tanking is just a way to lie to the matchmaking system about how awesome you're really are. SO the developers should really take it away from us. However, they also need to fix the matchmaking system so that you're not punished for having a good roster or doing really well at the game. Or maybe reward us for having a higher MMRs. Or maybe fix not getting hit by people who haven't really earned the right to face your team in combat.

FYI - I do tank but I wish I didn't have to.
  • Unknown
    Options
    It should just be based on what your current score in the tournament is.

0-300 1star opponents
    300-600 2star opponents
    600+ 3star

300 and under no loss of points for defensive losses
    600 and under half loss of points for defensive losses.

Or if you prefer just count the levels of opponents.
    0-300 150 total levels
    300-600 250 total levels
    etc

They could then scale the rewards so that everyone is getting appropriate rewards for their level.
    1star teams should not win 3star prizes.

And then get rid of the MMR system all together. You join a tournament you are starting against the same level opponents as everyone else as it should be.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    All that's going to do is drive the scores closer together. You'll get a good ranking if you can play in the final minutes of a tourney and a **** ranking if you can't.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tanking exists but the new defensive retaliations are going to put a dent into the current strategy.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tanking exists but the new defensive retaliations are going to put a dent into the current strategy.

Actually, they make it easier, since you don't have to win with your tank team anymore. The main difference is that you probably want to wait a while after tanking to start actually pushing, since the retaliations take a while to keep coming in.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kerravon wrote:

0-300 1star opponents
    300-600 2star opponents
    600+ 3star

0-300 150 total levels
    300-600 250 total levels
    etc

They could then scale the rewards so that everyone is getting appropriate rewards for their level.

And then get rid of the MMR system all together. You join a tournament you are starting against the same level opponents as everyone else as it should be.

600+ switching to full 3* encounters means any odds of wining a 3* cover goes out the window for players that are transitioning from 2*. You can put that limit at 700+ and it will only serve to delay the effect.
    Bad, bad idea. No.
  • Unknown
    Options
    kerravon wrote:

0-300 1star opponents
    300-600 2star opponents
    600+ 3star

0-300 150 total levels
    300-600 250 total levels
    etc

That would be more than a little bit rough. You the few poor sods with 1* rosters to get literally torn into little pieces by absolutely everyone? Then everyone beats up on 2* rosters and finally everyone without a decent 3* roster hits a ceiling of 600.... not loving the idea personally.

I would agree rewards should be consumate with effort but it's not easy to work out how to.