Skips Bonus Shenanigans

Options
MaxCavalera
MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
edited June 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
So I don't know if it has always been like this but now that I start PvP facing 141s non-stop I like to at least get reasonable points for facing tough opponents. With out fail 3 skips of teams worth 17-20 points cancel out any ISO bonus then boom a 30+ point team shows up. I don't think I am wearing my tin foil hat here because I find my self repeating the pattern every pvp for quite some time. I just wanted to complain if you want your 30 bonus iso(woooo) grind it out in retaliations from 0 to when ever you give up.

Just felt like complaining anyone else see themselves repeating this same pattern?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    So I don't know if it has always been like this but now that I start PvP facing 141s non-stop I like to at least get reasonable points for facing tough opponents. With out fail 3 skips of teams worth 17-20 points cancel out any ISO bonus then boom a 30+ point team shows up. I don't think I am wearing my tin foil hat here because I find my self repeating the pattern every pvp for quite some time. I just wanted to complain if you want your 30 bonus iso(woooo) grind it out in retaliations from 0 to when ever you give up.

Just felt like complaining anyone else see themselves repeating this same pattern?

I've always assumed it was like:
    1) The game queues up a few battles with people with MMR and score close to yours
    2) You win a battle, your score and maybe MMR go up a bit, so those queued battles are now worth **** points
    3) You skip **** battles, the game queues up a few battles with people with MMR and score close to yours

Of course this breaks when you get to higher points and people close to your score are shielded so you tend to see ONLY people worth <20 points icon_evil.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    The game queues up several opponents for you ahead of time. This is most easily seen when you have your application open during the beginning of a LR and wait an hour before joining. You'll still see quite a few seed teams despite the fact that there's no way there's a lack of opponents at that point. The game apparently doesn't care if it queues up the same guy multiple times or even back to back (though I've yet to see back to back to back). The game only ensures the point of your opponent make sense at the time it queued them up, so if those next 5 guys all lost 500 points by the time you got around playing them it doesn't care about that. Since it is usually much easier to fall dramatically than the other way around, it is quite often the case you end up with opponents that have way less points than what they had when they're first queued up.
  • MaxCavalera
    Options
    Well seems like those two systems don't really work together. If the point of skip tax when it was implemented was that they know best who you should be matched with they should at least do you the decency of refreshing the node you just completed to a team of your new MMR. So how many teams are hypothesized to be in this que 3?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well seems like those two systems don't really work together. If the point of skip tax when it was implemented was that they know best who you should be matched with they should at least do you the decency of refreshing the node you just completed to a team of your new MMR. So how many teams are hypothesized to be in this que 3?

Based on the LR results I'm guessing they queue up close to 10 teams at a time since you can get that many seed teams even an hour after LR has started. If there's any change to this behavior it's obvously far beyond any player's ability to speculate since any other selection of opponent is impossible to keep track of.

And those guys are in your MMR group. It's just that MPQ is subject to wild swing in score (usually on the way down). Let's say you've 800 points and it queued up 10 guys with 800 points, but by the time you get to them half of them lost 300 points and that'd suck. But what if you were the one who lost 300 points? Then you benefit from still having those 10 guys with 800 queued up, even if some of them lost significant points. If the matchup adjusted after every node, that'd mean whenever you take a huge hit after a game, you'd lose all the high value nodes that the game queued up for you previously, and that'd suck too. If you ever took a major hit but saw a guy queued up with 40 points after a few fights, that's almost certainly a guy that was queued up before the major hit.
  • MaxCavalera
    Options
    Good point next time I go unshielded over night and take a 300 point hit I should clear out retals and then see how many consecutive decent targets are lined up under one node. Then maybe ill take off my tin foil hat.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Good point next time I go unshielded over night and take a 300 point hit I should clear out retals and then see how many consecutive decent targets are lined up under one node. Then maybe ill take off my tin foil hat.

Keep in mind we don't know when the game puts the new players in the queue so you could indeed take a 300 point hit and then the game decided this is a good time to queue up new opponents, so you certainly shouldn't be trying to do this on purpose.