Character rankings 6/14 edition: the results!

Comments

• wymtime wrote:
    Let me start off by saying I want to thank you for all your hard work. As someone who hasn't been playing the game for too long this helps me get a grasp on how cards compare to others.

Here is where you can improve. While I see where you are going with the memes they are very unnecessary and really don't add anything to the rankings. What I would like to see you do is put the actual covers in the rankings vs the memes. I have collected and linked (in the spoiler) the 11 you currently have ranked to hopefully make this easier.

I am all for the memes. for IM35 the meme should be a new shiny car "what I though my first car looked like" a beat up used car "what my first car really looked like"

I don't know how to do memes otherwise I would have created it for you!!!

Another vote for the memes over the covers. I've seen those covers nine million times; I don't gain anything by seeing them again.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    I have used Lazy Thor/Hood/Daredevil as a sort of troll team -- the troll being that the team doesn't need a third member. DD gives the team active abilities in every color, although his suck. He tanks two colors too.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    DD unsurprisingly get the worst rating among all the 3*.

While he's too unpredictable, I also dread playing against him. I remember a sims node in which he was paired up with goons that gave him red AP and blue AP. He was generating traps very quickly. While I know how to avoid them (by matching other colors, bringing in storm), I sometimes still trigger the traps with cascades. And that feeling is horrible.

It's like a world cup winning team playing against a semi pro team. You are expected to win against DD, and any dmg or loss will humiliate you.

(Which further emphasizes the point of how lousy he is icon_razz.gif)
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    atomzed wrote:

While he's too unpredictable, I also dread playing against him. I remember a sims node in which he was paired up with goons that gave him red AP and blue AP. He was generating traps very quickly. While I know how to avoid them (by matching other colors, bringing in storm), I sometimes still trigger the traps with cascades. And that feeling is horrible.

It's like a world cup winning team playing against a semi pro team. You are expected to win against DD, and any dmg or loss will humiliate you.

Was that a desert node where the trap tiles were being colour switched by Oasis as well? I took many crotch kicks on that one icon_e_sad.gif
  • atomzed
    HairyDave wrote:
    atomzed wrote:

Was that a desert node where the trap tiles were being colour switched by Oasis as well? I took many crotch kicks on that one icon_e_sad.gif

Yeah I think that was the same node I have problem with
  • Let me start off by saying I want to thank you for all your hard work. As someone who hasn't been playing the game for too long this helps me get a grasp on how cards compare to others.

Here is where you can improve. While I see where you are going with the memes they are very unnecessary and really don't add anything to the rankings. What I would like to see you do is put the actual covers in the rankings vs the memes. I have collected and linked (in the spoiler) the 11 you currently have ranked to hopefully make this easier.
    Thanks for the feedback! It's great to hear suggestions that might make these more useful. I do try to strike a balance between making the rankings accessible for new players, while also including some new information or fun bits that keep them interesting for those who have been around a while. Obviously the memes aren't strictly necessary, but I had a lot of fun making them and hopefully other people find them amusing as well.

Oh, and installment 3 is up. Only two more days until the mystery of #18 is revealed!
  • I'll say this about Ragnarok - his green power is probably the most underrated power in the game. Not that it's great - it's not - but it is usable, and can be very effective in certain situations. The trick is that it's not generally effective used once, but can be devastating when used several times in a row, and can be self-sustaining if you've got enough AP to cast it 3 times or so. I've one-turned a Hulk with it.
  • It may not be as bad as commonly believed, but If you were to rank all the 3* green abilities, I don't see an ability that you would rank lower.
  • WolfmanX25 wrote:
    It may not be as bad as commonly believed, but If you were to rank all the 3* green abilities, I don't see an ability that you would rank lower.

Yeah, but there's a big difference between worse than some of the best abilities in the game and useless.
  • OP, I actually came across you in the Hood PVP that finished today... and took a pass. You're not quite the easy pickings I wound'nt have thought you were! Love these rankings as I totally use them for getting ideas on my builds. Great start to these rankings! LOVE the use of memes! LM tinykitty AO!
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    WolfmanX25 wrote:
    It may not be as bad as commonly believed, but If you were to rank all the 3* green abilities, I don't see an ability that you would rank lower.

Yeah, but there's a big difference between worse than some of the best abilities in the game and useless.
    I'd rather have most of the 2* greens above it. Hell, I'd prefer the 1* ones too.

Actually, looking at my roster, the only green I'd rank below it is X-farce's
  • atomzed
    If rag can reach up to 141, he would be rank higher. His ability are good for spamming, and can synergies well with those who needs green (lthor which you mentioned and Gsbw).

I like the green, but bec the damage is based on tile, he can be screwed by a protect tile. I tend to leave him to the last of my blue lazy protect tile.comes off. Since he can't do any dmg to me with his green.

He would be like a pun if he can reach 141...But alas.
  • atomzed
    Oh, and installment 3 is up. Only two more days until the mystery of #18 is revealed!

Fwiw, let me give my guess first, that the mysterious no 18 is falcon. As someone else has already stated, he can only be a support character. He has no offensive abilities.He is entirely reliant on others strike tiles or attack tiles. His hp is so so.

While he shines in a good team, he is also entirely useless by himself. So I can see him being the one that divide opinion the most.
  • I think No18 is L Thor. Sure, people love his tanky health, devestating attacks and chaining potential...

BUT LOOK AT HIS FAT FACE!
  • I think 18 will be Spidey.
  • Installment 4 is up. Enjoy!
  • Installment 4 is up. Enjoy!

What's the net change on Doom between last time and this time?

Otherwise, everything appears great.
  • Oops, missed the +/- for IM40 and Doom. Fixed; thanks!
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Can you expand on why 4/4/5 may be a better build for cStorm? I've never heard anyone suggest less than 5 in green.

Also, just want to point out that we're halfway through the list and haven't seen a single new character. Power creep FTW.
  • I respecced mine 3/5/5, mainly because I was generally pairing her with a tank character with a better green power, and I was almost never using her green. Her yellow has singlehandedly won me matches before, since the other team casting a strong AoE skill can be their death sentence.

I'd still never use her in pvp though.