AI Ares cheats on AP usage

_RiO_
_RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
AI-controlled Ares was capable of executing Sunder (10 yellow AP) and killing off my last standing team member, while having only 9 AP in stock at the start of his turn.
That little glitch costs people matches, people! Bad form!

Comments

• russreid91
    russreid91 Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    I haven't seen it with Ares but I'm almost positive that I have seen it with other AI characters which have caught me completely off guard. I have been keeping track of their AP and all of a sudden they pull of a big move "Call of the Storm" that I wasn't prepared for so it really hurts my team. I've never been completely positive that they haven't had the AP to pull it off but it happens on and off enough to make me wonder.

Is anybody else out there seeing anything like this where a character pulls off a move you didn't think they had the AP for?
  • Is this in PvP or PvE? In PvE you can always be running into the "generic" thug AP generation. The generic characters do not make matches, they just generate AP automatically for the colors they use. So if that Ares was teamed with say a Leutenant, they could be at 9AP on your turn, but get a free AP from that Lt. on their turn, and then have enough for Sunder.

Green for Call of the Storm is even more likely as a lot of the generics create green AP. That is why those nodes in the last PvE with two green AP generators and GSBW and HT were annoying. Both of the actual characters could hit their green powers sooner then they should, thanks to the free green AP they were getting (and Torch's powere would get stronger over time not weaker).
  • _RiO_
    This was in PvP with Ares being the last opponent standing and with no thugs ever having been present. Cascades were not a factor: there was a clean 9 yellow AP on the enemy counter and at the start of the AI's turn, without making a match or using any other opportunity within the confines of the game's rule system to generate the missing 1 yellow AP, the AI still had Ares use his 10 yellow AP Sunder skill.
  • I've seen this with 2 characters. Ares (Sunder) and Juggs (Headbutt). The sunder bug seems to be limited to PVP and the Juggs bug in PVE. I watch every move and check the Opp's AP each turn to know if I should put a tank player in from to take the hit.
  • russreid91
    russreid91 Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    I know that there were no goons present when it happened to me. I believe that mine have all been during PvP events.
  • _RiO_
    Thinking back; I've seen this happen with OBW's purple as well, iirc.
    Also in PvP...
  • Ive seen thor pull off TWO call of the storm knowing for sure he didnt have 15 green ap for both times
  • I have seen this happen too with the AI pulling off a big move after only one turn; and that one turn wasn't a cascade heavy move. Happened on PVP
  • AI's AP counter doesn't update till it's your turn. It's pretty dumb but that's how it works. Example; maxed Jugs have 3 red AP. He gets an extra turn via a single 5-match or a special match in a cascade and now has 6 or more red AP. His counter still shows 3 red AP. He uses Headbutt. His turn ends. Now his AP counter updates showing the total amount of AP he has after he used his skill.
  • _RiO_
    KevinMark wrote:
    AI's AP counter doesn't update till it's your turn. It's pretty dumb but that's how it works. Example; maxed Jugs have 3 red AP. He gets an extra turn via a single 5-match or a special match in a cascade and now has 6 or more red AP. His counter still shows 3 red AP. He uses Headbutt. His turn ends. Now his AP counter updates showing the total amount of AP he has after he used his skill.

The issue here is that we have enemies pulling skills out of their top hat at the start of their turn, when the counters are stable, and without performing a match or having a grunt present to raise AP, while clearly not meeting the minimum AP requirement for the skill.

In other words; the AI CHEATS.
    (And with the current track record and reputation of both developer and publisher, I would not be one bit surprised if this were to end up an intentional mechanic meant to curb winning streaks...)
  • I didn't come across it. It would be good if you reported it to support as well.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Man, good to know that I'm not crazy! I've seen this a few times and each time I had to tell myself that I was suffering of confirmation bias because there was no way the AI could be "cheating". In particular, I remember losing a pivotal battle towards the end of the Psylocke PvP when she spammed Psi-Katana each turn and I only saw her team making black matches twice.
  • I've noticed this a lot. With me it's always Thor, though it could be others, Thors has just been the most noticable. The most memorable time was just after the Ai tream in PVP got a cascade, Thor used his call of storm, which I was fine with even though they only had 2 green ap it was possible they got enough green AP, but then Thor used it AGAIN, and after using it twice they still had 5 green ap left. That was the worst one. Most other times though Thor has just used it when they didn't have enough Ap and then still have way to much AP left over after using Call of storm.

A lot of players are more than likely experiencing this, but don't realize it because they don't pay attention to the other teams AP and put it down to bad luck. It's a pretty bad bug that seems isn't just regulated to one character but seems like me may be a bug with the actual AI.
  • It's him, Thor, and obw. I've seen obw steal 4 ap each with recon which should cost 10 or 11, but it only cost her 8.
  • jonatslee
    jonatslee Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    I've gotten hit by Ares' onslaught without it adding any green ap to my pool. icon_mad.gif
  • Just got hit by ares green twice without him making a single green match. No goons, just cheats.
  • jonatslee
    jonatslee Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Just got hit with the ultimate cheat!
    Cold Snap, requiring 102 environment AP, within the first 3 turns.
    All these complaints vs Ares is nothing compared to this.
  • Adding my latest weird happening on this subject: Black Panther activated his team attack with nearly no black mana and killed my entire team!

I was keeping a close eye on his mana and even though I don't remember exactly how little he had, I'm positive he wasn't close to 12 black, the fight had started just recently and he had 2-3 mana in the other colors and nothing more than that. Seriously...someone must be cheating!

Can anyone linked to D3, IceIX or anyone else, please confirm what this sh*t is all about???
  • I posted this on another thread, but since the topic is ongoing I'll repeat my experience.

I start a PVE match. I don't remember the lineup but I know there were no goons, just Juggernaut and two other Dark Avengers. My first turn - I make a match. The computer's first turn - Headbutt.

0 AP in all colors. 0 matches made. That's some **** right there.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, I only have anecdotal evidence, and no footage, but on the last few hours of the Gold Thor tourney, I've been railed by 3 Punisher Molotovs in a really short timeframe.

I know OBW has Espionage steal, but Pun was still releasing more AP than he was collecting, and I'd think OBW's steal would get overwritten by Pun's black level.

I hate to have to track the AI's AP on each turn (on Android, I have to swipe over to see the AP) but I really feel I got jobbed rather than just got caught napping.