*** Storm (Mohawk) ***

Comments

• TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    Black May just be her best move. Remember that her goal is board control. In the current meta of strike tiles, she denies them with he'd black or destroys them with her green. As it stands, the only reason to level her is for the 1k/turn damage of black (which outclassed Doom directly)... or more but still bad health.

May use her but I won't sell my 1star Storm yet and not leveling her for awhile.
  • This certainly is not the Storm I was hoping for. Sure she goes up to 141, but here powers are not as nice as the 1* version due to cost, and didn't add any variation at the 5 cover top-end. But it is nice to have a 3* that I won't be obsessed over getting covers for, so I can take a break in more PvPs.

Just wish I didn't work so darned hard for a week to get her three covers. Hopefully She-Hulk will be more interesting, and there will be a PvE event for Storm before she is released, such that I can undo the scaling damage I did to get Storm.
  • john1620b
    john1620b Posts: 367
    edited June 2014
    Am I the only one glad that this Storm is not overpowered like Thor and Sentry? I find the recent power creep of new characters one of the most frustrating changes they've been making. Not to mention, if she had been upgraded like LazyThor was, everyone would be seeing her in PvP *all* the time -- and consequently would be complaining how annoying she was to fight.

I rather like the increased damage on the red ability, although it would be nice to have it a bit cheaper. Still, assuming an average of 9 environmental tiles on the board, that's 1728 damage for 9 AP. Add in the likely cascades, and it's not a bad ability for the cost, in my estimation.

Even without the 5 AP red ability of her 1* counterpart, you know she'll still be pretty great at AP generation and cascade generation. Personally, I would find fighting a 141 LazyStorm just as annoying (if not more so) than fighting a 141 Hood. Whenever I fight a 1* Storm, once she gets an ability off she always seems to get cascade after cascade, leading to a bunch of AP generated, and then more ability usage. Pairing her with the right high-damage characters will likely still be quite a strong team.
  • The only reason she had any value defensively was her low cost Red. Without that, she becomes a total liability in PvP with her small HP pool. Her black might be good, but an opponent will kill her off before she even gets it off.

So, in my mind, she's a "B" team support for PvE enemies. Which isn't saying much.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    One question I have is for her black does each item use the strike tile. Think about Lazy Daken and Stom combined 3 black matches 3 green matches game over!!

In reality she could pair well with black Banther with her Red so you can get more yellow strike tiles out on the board, but the problem is Black Panthers best ability is black and it looks like the same will be said for Storm.

Overall I think she is best for PVE where she can shake up the board with red and green and spam the board with black.
  • john1620b wrote:

I rather like the increased damage on the red ability, although it would be nice to have it a bit cheaper. Still, assuming an average of 9 environmental tiles on the board, that's 1728 damage for 9 AP. Add in the likely cascades, and it's not a bad ability for the cost, in my estimation.

You do realize that Rodgers does twice the damage,returns most the AP and has twice the HP right?

I'm sorry but her red is a joke now.
  • MTGOFerret wrote:
    john1620b wrote:

You do realize that Rodgers does twice the damage,returns most the AP and has twice the HP right?

I'm sorry but her red is a joke now.

I don't agree. Two red matches can be done in 2 turns, 3 are going to take 3 or 4, but usually I don't expect my 4th before the 6th turn. This means that by the time shieldBro throws his shield, our Lady of the Tempest could already have downed one of the opponents.
  • Thinking more on it, she needed to be 5800 HP. That small change would have made her a lot more viable.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    I think she's fine as she is. Lightning Strike is the main reason to use her, and it's unchanged. The low health is appropriate considering how scary Lightning Strike can be. I place her right in the middle of the 3* characters, alongside Steve-R.
  • TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Thinking more on it, she needed to be 5800 HP. That small change would have made her a lot more viable.
    Either that or 6ap red.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Thinking more on it, she needed to be 5800 HP. That small change would have made her a lot more viable.
    Either that or 6ap red.

That would have made her as OP as her 1* counterpart is.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    For all the haters. The reason her Mistress of the Elements isn't 5AP is because they don't want the infinite turn she can create on Forest and Possibly Desert boards. We all know, red, forests, 5AP every color, green, destroy the board, red again, forests, cast green again, destroy the board, cast black 2 times and wait.

I give the benefit of the doubt that D3 has some plans. I think L.Storm fits a purpose. The fact that her red no longer costs 5 tells me something is coming regarding enviro tiles and that 5 AP was way too low a cost, in addition if the BP buff on yellow ever comes you can't have MotE too cheap for that as well. Hailstorm while not perfect, does help teams deal with Sentry on some level.
  • Well, if you trust IceIX, they are going balance the environmental tiles soonish. Which means whatever advantage she gains from forest/desert will soon be gone.

But I think 9AP for it is fair. It does a good chunk of damage and majorly shakes up the board (allowing for AP collection off of that).

I just think her low HP makes her an extreme defensive liability. She will be near non-existent in the PvP game. Especially once they remove any environmental advantage she may currently enjoy.
  • Phaserhawk
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Well, if you trust IceIX, they are going balance the environmental tiles soonish. Which means whatever advantage she gains from forest/desert will soon be gone.

But I think 9AP for it is fair. It does a good chunk of damage and majorly shakes up the board (allowing for AP collection off of that).

I just think her low HP makes her an extreme defensive liability. She will be near non-existent in the PvP game. Especially once they remove any environmental advantage she may currently enjoy.

But hood has one of the lowest HP in the game and he's a top notch character, allbeit Storm does not have the AP denial like he does. But Storm is a 4350 pt shield that is going to cause problems if she is not dealt with first, thus delaying focus on your other 2, much like what Hood does. Her sole purpose is board destruction and annyoance, where Hood's is denial and delay. She's a support character. Falcon's another that slows the other team, while defending you, and beefing up at the same time.
  • Unknown
    edited June 2014
    Hood has the most powerful passive in the game, so there shouldn't never be any comparison between the two. So his low hp's are more than justified.

I view this character more as a support-offense character. Similar to Psylocke, Doom or Dakan.

I'm not even sure you have to focus on her first either. Especially if she is running with BP/LT, you would want her around to make the AI pick LStorm's green/black ability if it ran into some cascade luck.

Most people will just focus on her first out of habit and because her HP's are so low. Not out of any fear of her turning the tables on a match.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    john1620b wrote:
    Am I the only one glad that this Storm is not overpowered like Thor and Sentry? I find the recent power creep of new characters one of the most frustrating changes they've been making. Not to mention, if she had been upgraded like LazyThor was, everyone would be seeing her in PvP *all* the time -- and consequently would be complaining how annoying she was to fight.

Even without the 5 AP red ability of her 1* counterpart, you know she'll still be pretty great at AP generation and cascade generation. Personally, I would find fighting a 141 LazyStorm just as annoying (if not more so) than fighting a 141 Hood. Whenever I fight a 1* Storm, once she gets an ability off she always seems to get cascade after cascade, leading to a bunch of AP generated, and then more ability usage. Pairing her with the right high-damage characters will likely still be quite a strong team.

I'm with you on this. I'm glad that she's not as OP as I originally thought she would be.

In fact, the release of Sentry and Mohakw Storm renewed (somewhat) my faith in D3 in releasing balanced characters. Thus far, Lazycap, Falcon, Ldaken, Sentry, Mohawk storm have been pretty balanced thus far, each with their strength and weaknesses.. They are adding more variety to the 3* without adding characters that dominate the meta. This is good in my opinion.
  • Mistress is a major board shakeup and one that, in theory, you can also figure out ahead of time to see what cascades are possible. It's probably too complicated but you can at least wait until you can see that some cascade opportunities exist. Comparing to Captain, the fact that his red returns all but 1 AP is probably some kind of mistake (seems like the guy assuming he's supposed to do 2* Captain damage) but even then, there's a world of difference between 4 and 3 match 3s. With Mistress you usually get significant EAP on presumably forest/desert, which is still pretty broken, and destroying the environmental tiles themselves leads to a significant board shakeup. If you're expecting someone who can hang with Sentry you'll be disappointed. At Storm's HP, if she can hang with Sentry then her red needs to do about 8000 damage, because Sentry can kill her with one World Rapture as long as Daken is around (and this also harms other team members) so the reverse has to be for there to be balance, and of course that'd be rather ridiculous.

Until there's significant change to how PvP is done you're not going to see too many viable characters at the top even if they're balanced because of the limited selection (forced featured character gives you only 2 other choices, which greatly limits intersting team compositions), and currently there's nothing remotely balanced about the characters so it's even more dominated by the 5 or so top/broken tier guys.
  • i've been trying to mix and match lately, but it does seem that if you want to be competitive in pvp you're saddled with feature + (pick two) patch, cmag, LT, punisher, and hulk for def.in addition you have 90% who are in love with OBW. I don't see it because she dies too quick for my taste, but that is most of what you see.
  • Phaserhawk
    PvP is simple. Sentry/Daken and then it doesn't matter.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    She looks perfectly balanced to me. Red takes 3 matches instead of 2. Otherwise, just ramping up *1 Storm's health and damage would have been majorly OP. This basically breaks the endless chain, but still makes her very powerful offensively. Sounds like people are basically complaining because they expected her to be OP and now are mad that she's not.

Also, I do think she gets a ramp up when they adjust the enviro tiles. They said desert and jungle weren't necessarily broken, so I'd guess that they're only going to buff the other terrains, but not nerf those two. That would add additional power to Mohawk.