*** Storm (Mohawk) ***

Comments

• MTGOFerret wrote:
    we're seriously complaining that any 1* is overused? Even back in the days of an actual 2* transition the 1*s were used for a very short period of time.
    Come on, mStorm was and is a huge exception to that. mStorm was on all my teams, ESPECIALLY in pvp, until I made the
    2*-> 3* transition.
  • Impulse wrote:
    Covers reducing AP cost is all but removed from the game. It's unlikely that her red will get cheaper.

Some later cover may add a discount or refund (so first use would cost 9 but next ones cheaper)
  • KevinMark wrote:
    UncleSam wrote:
    I can see Hailstorm doing over 2000 a round at 141 @level5 icon_twisted.gif

Nah, I don't think Hailstorm will scale that good. It would certainly be OP. I also don't think her max Mistress of Elements will cost 5. They seem to have been nerfing cheap abilities, e.g. Ragnarok, Spiderman and CMags is in line.

They don't want to have abilities less than 5 AP. So MoE @ 5 is possible
  • Bugpop wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:
    UncleSam wrote:

Nah, I don't think Hailstorm will scale that good. It would certainly be OP. I also don't think her max Mistress of Elements will cost 5. They seem to have been nerfing cheap abilities, e.g. Ragnarok, Spiderman and CMags is in line.

A possibility but unlikely given that the 2nd level is different.

And the only balancing that they've done and kept pure AP reduction in the ability was IW's Invisibility. Perhaps that was before they had a clear purpose in how ability leveling should work.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    What a coincidence, I was just thinking the other day that what this game sorely needed was a 3* version of my most-hated 1*.

icon_rolleyes.gif
  • hhmm, 9AP for red kind of makes her not so OP. But i guess we will have to see individual upgrades of all her 3 skills, to further determine how good/bad she is...
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    I hope her red gets *some* AP reduction. 9 is just too much for an ability that you specifically want to use near the beginning of the battle. 7 could be okay, 6 would be wonderful.

Honestly though, I felt so certain that this character was going to be something like Patch, you know? I was really looking forward to seeing what cool new thing they were going to do with her. I'm glad to see her red on a 3*, but I wanted it in combination with something new.

I can't remember any recent character that has covers that decrease ap cost-- I thought they moved away from that starting with the Rag nerf. All balances have removed covers with ap decreases as well. (besides invisible woman actually--although I guess it's harder to see what else the covers could do for the invisibility)
  • Riggy wrote:
    Bugpop wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:
    UncleSam wrote:

And the only balancing that they've done and kept pure AP reduction in the ability was IW's Invisibility. Perhaps that was before they had a clear purpose in how ability leveling should work.

I think its possible for Hailstorm to do 2000/round and here's why.

Its fairly obvious from past precedent that the devs **do not** want a high level storm to be able to execute infinite Green/Red loops. Thus the 9 Red cost this time around.

But, think about it. Seriously.

She has Hood level health. As a GOLD character. Think about it.
    Consider how powerful the Hood is to warrant only a 4300 HP pool and then consider Storm at a similar power level. Think about it.
    Think about the power creep in the game since the hood was released, and ponder what could possibly warrant a character in the age of 7-9k health pools for everyone to warrant only 4300 health. Think about it.
    Think about as a glass cannon, her closest competition - Human Torch, with 5075 health, can direct damage for nearly 3000, drop 1000/round in attack tiles, and damage over time for 2000/round. Storm only has 4300 health, which means that her power level must be even higher than this. Think about it.
    Consider that Storm's health pool has to be so low that any number of current characters can all-but-one-shot her from full life at 141 to be considered balanced. Think about it.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Storm is going to melt faces faster than the Ark in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Human Torch does 2900 for 8 Red, at a lower power level than Storm. MoE is likely to be CMags Translocation strong. Average on the board is what... 7-8 tiles of each color? So... that works out to be in the ballpark of 400 damage per environment tile to be in line with Torch's red. If the damage is in the 500/tile range... oh boy.

Looking at the starting values for Storm's red and black against her 1* version, both of their starting values is 4 times the 1* version. If she scales linearly, like all of the golds did outside of Daken (for obvious reasons), then we could be looking at a version of Storm whose red and black are 10-12 times as powerful as their 1* incarnation. That is some scary number potential there.

So, yeah... 3/5/5 with two potentially game-ending abilities, each requiring only 3 matches (as few as 1 with double boosting). Red is pretty much downing someone plus lots of EAP, and Black is a game ender if we are talking about 32 strike tiles at strength 50 or better. That would be impossible to clear off the board in time short of having an immediate board clear ability ready to go the moment she casts Hailstorm. Nice hard counter to World Rupture there as well.

She is going to be scary.
  • Riggy wrote:
    Bugpop wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:
    UncleSam wrote:

To be fair, how else are you going to improve Invisibility? Make her more invisible? I guess she could create 1-5 invisibility tiles, but having to get rid of 5 tiles feels like it would be too strong.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eh, the damage from the red is pretty much just frosting on the cake. Unless it does some crazy numbers (or has non-damage aspects on leveling 3-5), I'm almost certainly going 5/3/5
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    A thread on new Storm and no one complained about having yet another green/red/black character? icon_lol.gif
  • locked wrote:
    A thread on new Storm and no one complained about having yet another green/red/black character? icon_lol.gif

Cuz its storm
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh man, it just came to me in the shower. Finally, the perfect defensive team.

Mohawk/Hood/OBW. The ultimate AP generation/steal team. Almost perfect rainbow, with the only overlap being black, both of which don't matter as much.

Who do you target first? If the AI gets 9 red, 8 purple, or 10 green before you get a kill, it's basically over. And that's with Hood stealing AP. AND if OBW gets 9 blue, you're set back 1228 damage.

I can see this team looking like an easy win, but generating a lot of defensive victories.
  • over_clocked
    scottee wrote:
    Oh man, it just came to me in the shower. Finally, the perfect defensive team.

Mohawk/Hood/OBW. The ultimate AP generation/steal team. Almost perfect rainbow, with the only overlap being black, both of which don't matter as much.

Who do you target first? If the AI gets 9 red, 8 purple, or 10 green before you get a kill, it's basically over. And that's with Hood stealing AP. AND if OBW gets 9 blue, you're set back 1228 damage.

I can see this team looking like an easy win, but generating a lot of defensive victories.
    From 2* rosters, sure. I think most 3*s can survive a few loops if they don't get bored to tears. OTOH Mohawk black will probably be very deadly.
  • over_clocked
    Well, that was my feeling, too. Folks are either excited to have a great moveset at 3*, or too annoyed at having another lazy character to bother with the colour palette.
  • Bugpop wrote:
    locked wrote:

Cuz its storm

It's a given that the lazy gold characters repeat colours and indeed repeat everything and suck. Boo hiss.

Not going to be bothered writing it out every time. At least this time it's only the lazy version of a 1* character so you're not having to repeat 85 levels worth of iso and 13 3* covers just to get to the point it's equal to the character you already have,
  • Is this thread necessary? Do we not have one in the character area yet or something?

Anyway, she doesn't seem op at a glance to me.
    -Low hp
    - hard 9 (you will not see character lower thier ap cost every again btw...so don't expect it ever again no matter if they lazy someone of not) for her red hurts its old use as a spam tool and likely turns it more into a utility damage tool,
    -green was great back in the day, but now that the color green holds the strongest abilities in the game atm using 10 ap to earn random ap and a cascade doesn't seem so amazing. Sure, if you run her for her red/black and you go with no other greens the move is fine, but its not the amazing move it once was...good...just not my first second or third choice on green.
    -bkack...we will need to see how it scales. I would assume we are looking at somewhere between 700-1100? If so that will be great, but its also not entirely out of the ballpark for black abilities given bp massive multi hitting direct damage or ht' black. (As an aside, doom's black seems a tad underpowered, but that's probably mostly due to being a 2 cover character. If that ever changed it would scale up to being a little more on par).

I don't know, I just don't see the op-ness besides on oasis...and that more about oasis than anything else (and I am sure they will nerf it ay some point. Heck, I assume its the whole reason they messed with the enviornment nodes in thier recent update).
  • Her offense is going to be superb but that's why she's in the lowest HP class. If not for the two guys with way too much HP that also do way too much damage, she'd be pretty balanced overall. I'd say she's much better designed than The Hood, the other character in the same HP class. She's going to pack a huge punch but you can still deal with her if you're careful.

I think Storm/Daken/Sentry could make some interesting overkill, like Mistress of the Storm followed by World Rupture + Sacrifice and see how many of the 16 CDs the other side can defuse. It's probably not a great team but overkill is fun!
  • Lyrian wrote:
    If she scales linearly, like all of the golds did outside of Daken (for obvious reasons), then we could be looking at a version of Storm whose red and black are 10-12 times as powerful as their 1* incarnation. That is some scary number potential there.
    I didn't follow the numbers on Lazy Daken. Does his strike tiles scale linearly in comparison to his original version? I think devs did some balancing on his scaling to prevent him being too powerful. I expect her getting the same treatment. You compared her to Torch. His green needs AP every turn doing 2000 damage, so there is that. His black doesn't but it does around 1000 damage with strike tiles. Also, Torch is not a utility character like MStorm. He is an offensive character. Furthermore, Storm doesn't need any upkeep to do damage with her attack tiles unless they changed her abilities on higher levels.

But keep on hyping yourself and work hard for her covers later to buy them with HP icon_e_smile.gif
  • I just saw the new cover for Storm(Mohawk). Last time we got Fabio, now we get Grace Jones?