Tourney suggestion: Gather purple

OK, hear me out icon_e_wink.gif (sound of people stampeding out the door)

Right now, we have only one victory condition in game: kill the other guy.

How would people feel about a temporary event / tourney format where the objective was a race to match XX tiles of a certain color from tiles instead? First player to match XX purple tiles (100?) wins the match.

I suggest purple because AFAIK there is no ability in game that generates purple. (Forest Fire generates red, Magneto Marvel Now generates blue, Rag/Thor generate green, Thor generates yellow, Doom generates black.) Not right now, anyway.

This type of format would definitely favor board-clear so your Grey Widows and arguably your Ragnaroks and even Marvel Now Magnetos might get a leg up. Stun would also be of importance to make sure you get the extra turns needed to set up matches.

This may not be a perfect idea, but it would help add variety to the game because:
- It ignores the high health (and looong matches that you spend whittling down the health) of your Ragnaroks and Model 40s
- It favors and rewards skillful puzzle matching, which seems de-emphasized with the current top dogs of the meta (boost + Ragnarok)
- It would be an equal(ish) opportunity competitive format for both newbies and veterans (Having a level 141 Spidey would give no advantage over the guy who's still running C. Storm)
- It would ignore boosts (assuming the objective was "Match XX purple tiles," not "Collect XX purple AP")
- It would add a different victory condition, and hopefully some much-needed variety

Comments

• I like parts of the idea. It would translate to an ISO-8 grab and go fight pretty well. Unfortunately, Many characters would be unplayable. Stun characters would be really OP. You'd have to have some sort of steal mechanic, such as 500 damage steals a match. That way the attacking is still there, but the focus is on the Purple.

It also might work better as a mission type in PvE. Have it take place in a special environment against an invunerable enemy. Instead of purple, have environment tiles (different look maybe) as the collectable. The only way to attack and kill the enemy is with a full environment ability.
  • I would prefer an event like, try to do the most damage you can in X turns
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    I would prefer an event like, try to do the most damage you can in X turns

That should be a PVE event against one of Marvel's many megabosses. Pick one (Apocalypse, Thanos, Galactus, Onslaught).

Not saying it's a bad idea at all, but there might be balance issues, since certain characters would be more attracted to winning that kind of format, almost magnetically attracted.
  • Blue Shoes wrote:
    It also might work better as a mission type in PvE. Have it take place in a special environment against an invunerable enemy. Instead of purple, have environment tiles (different look maybe) as the collectable. The only way to attack and kill the enemy is with a full environment ability.

I really like this as a PVE event vs. a Big Bad Boss type.
  • someguy wrote:
    OK, hear me out icon_e_wink.gif (sound of people stampeding out the door)

Right now, we have only one victory condition in game: kill the other guy.

How would people feel about a temporary event / tourney format where the objective was a race to match XX tiles of a certain color from tiles instead? First player to match XX purple tiles (100?) wins the match.

Like the idea; the one thing to note is that this _particular_ format makes high level Modern/Original Black Widow and Yelena pretty powerful, as well as The Hood with any blue power.

Those could be countered by either adding the suggestion of steal w/ damage or just make it a priority to down those characters.

This is somewhat similar to some of the modes in PQ1 and PQ2 where you had to match a certain number of things to complete the level.

Alternately, this could be used as a perpetual PvE mode "Street Fight" type thing.
  • A tourney where Loki would actually be useful? Sure why not. g.Widow would also dominate. Maybe Moonstone.