Character rankings 3/2014 edition: the results!

12346»

Comments

• Frailezim
    Frailezim Posts: 68
    Can I ask that we all stop this ranking process. As every time they nuke the top guy.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    lol it's not related. LT will be on top after the Magneto nerf and he will probably be nerfed, too, but not that soon, as he's a money maker. Spidey needs to be nerfed, but what they are going to do to him resembles Ragnification so far.
  • locked wrote:
    lol it's not related. LT will be on top after the Magneto nerf and he will probably be nerfed, too, but not that soon, as he's a money maker. Spidey needs to be nerfed, but what they are going to do to him resembles Ragnification so far.

I use my rag all the time.

...wait... What?
  • Frailezim wrote:
    Can I ask that we all stop this ranking process. As every time they nuke the top guy.

ahahah, but they wait we spend some money on it icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I think now (with new characters, and rip spidey) is a good time to begin another ranking... at least after the end of PVE because I think this spidey change can shake all the board... icon_e_smile.gif
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd give a few weeks to see how sentry shakes out
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    We're also waiting for She-Hulk and Storm (Mohawk). Both have been teased and will probably be the rewards for the next couple PVEs.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    It will probably be something like the following, at least until they nerf Mags and buff Wolverine X-Force. When that happens, The Hood will be the strongest character of the original roster.

1. Magneto (classic)
    2. Wolverine (Patch)
    3. Thor (Modern)
    4. Punisher
    5. Captain America (Steve Rogers)
    6. The Hood
    7. Black Widow (original)
    8. Daken (Classic)
    9. Black Panther
    10. Spider-Man

I would put L. Cap a bit lower (#9 or so), but otherwise I agree with this.

edit: Because stunning is harder with Spider-man nerfed and because Lazy Daken goes well with him, I'd put Hulk at around #5.

With the existence of C. Mags making offense really easy right now (in the jungle with Punpun or anywhere with Patch), I think Hulk's offensive liability makes him significantly worse than BP/LT, who are similar in scarecrow value and actually do things on offense. We'll see if C. Mags nerfs changes this at all, but for now even in the post Spidey-meta I would put Hulk at ~12-17 range.
  • This is my favorite thread on the forum. Looking forward to the next vote. If I had an expectation for when the mags nerf were coming I'd say let's wait, but I think there are enough new characters and covers out to warrant another list.
  • A new ranking every second month is good I think.

Did you keep the previous rankings so we can see how the characters evolve in the ranking ?
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    arktos1971 wrote:
    A new ranking every second month is good I think.

Did you keep the previous rankings so we can see how the characters evolve in the ranking ?
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1789&hilit=rankings
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    The qualities of a hero include: Denial, Stun, Damage, Health, Speed, AP (effects), Shake (the board), Retribution, (board) Control, Healing, Regen, Strike (tiles), Attack (tiles), Protect (tiles).
    The drawbacks include: Weaken (attack team), Drain team, slow

I believe Hulk will increase in rank since he's a bit less manageable with Spidey nerfed. The most powerful abilities are Denial, Stun, Damage, Health, Speed, and AP (effects). Thor (Modern) is likely the highest ranked character now, but I rarely have problems facing him. Thor + BP would seem to be formidable, but they have very little board control and can often be held at bay by nimbler opponents. I covered this to some extent in tricky opponents: cStorm, mStorm, oBW, Hood, Hulk, Daredevil. These are the guys that require special tactics.

Daken gets a higher rank because of his high health, speed, and covering the rare colors so well.

Magneto (classic)
    Control, Damage+, Speed, AP, Shake-up, Protect
    Thor (Modern)
    Damage++, AP, Health, Shake
    slow
    up
    Hulk
    Health, Retribution, Damage, Shake
    weaken
    up
    Human Torch
    Damage+, Speed
    drain
    up
    The Hood
    Denial+, AP, Shake
    low health
    up
    Captain America
    Control+, Damage+, Stun, Health, AP+, Protect
    slow
    up
    Daken (Classic)
    Regen, Strike, Speed, Health
    up
    Black Widow (or)
    Denial+, AP, Healing
    up
    Black Widow (grey) --- Damage, Control, AP, Shake
    low health
    up
    Wolverine (Patch)
    Regen, Damage+, Strike
    weaken
    down
    Punisher
    Speed+, Shake, Strike
    down
    Black Panther
    Damage+, Strike, Protect
    slow
    down
    Spider-Man
    Healing, Protect, Stun
    down
    Sentry
    Damage, Shake, Strike
    weaken+ ---- down
    Psylocke
    Speed, Strike, Attack, Denial
    Storm (classic)
    Retribution, AP, Stun, Damage
    Storm (modern)
    AP, Control, Shake, Attack
    Magneto (MN)
    AP, Shake, Control, Damage
  • I would say Classic Magneto's ranking is too high for the simple reason that he is pretty terrible on defence. On offence i'd rank him number 1, on defence he's arguably less irritating than even OBW with his purple being the only skill of real note. He's too reliant on tile placement and strike tile synergy to be of any use in the AI's hands.

While I realise defensive wins are something of a non-factor most of the time anyway because they happen so rarely I would say C.Mags has almost no skip factor. He doesn't threaten damage to the degree of other heroes, his health isn't high enough to use too much of your time and he certainly doesn't fill you with fear of potentially losing altogether thanks to a sufficiently large cascade. He doesn't even offer the irritation factor you can get from Hood or OBW when they steal your AP if the board doesn't offer you a quick way to kill her. I suppose the most you could say is his animations take a long time and that's a BIT annoying.
  • over_clocked
    But who could possibly be #1 besides cMags?
    He ****-pulls the most ridiculous games at 300 health, which isn't to say that's the way to be, but oh man. If we get the game to the point of 'you take damage and lose 2/3 of your characters no matter what you do and who you field', sad panda. Pyrrhic victories are fine... Once in a while.
  • locked wrote:
    But who could possibly be #1 besides cMags?
    He ****-pulls the most ridiculous games at 300 health, which isn't to say that's the way to be, but oh man. If we get the game to the point of 'you take damage and lose 2/3 of your characters no matter what you do and who you field', sad panda. Pyrrhic victories are fine... Once in a while.

You forgot to add "on offence". If you're losing to an almost dead C.Mags wiping your team on defence then.... err.... I dunno what to say really. If it's a combined ranking then, while Mags might be number one on offence, L.Thor is probably a better overall hero if you're considering defence and skip potential as well , both of which C.Mags seriously lacks.

Also I would question the idea of him being strong individually. In a team with no strike tiles his only ability that helps with a quick win is purple. Red is pretty meh without strikes and his blue is, I suppose useful if you can get crit tiles out of it. Add in strikes though and, despite his slow animations, you can get the quick wins the current meta requires.

Finally, a cascading L.Thor combo can do far more than a lone C.Mags, ESPECIALLY in the hands of the ai and it doesn't matter who he's paired with as long as they aren't stealing his colours for abilities.
  • over_clocked
    I agree that LT is 'better overall' - by all means. It doesn't mean he's as fun to play. I think that in a game, fun factor is a little bit more important than skip factor. That's individual but the forum polls showed that Mags is considered the most entertaining character by far.
  • locked wrote:
    I agree that LT is 'better overall' - by all means. It doesn't mean he's as fun to play. I think that in a game, fun factor is a little bit more important than skip factor. That's individual but the forum polls showed that Mags is considered the most entertaining character by far.

Im with you I think L Thor is the best character int he game due to damage, HP and AI ease of use on D.

I also agree Mag is the most fun to play in the game. I hope D3 sees posts like this when they consider the future of the game. We need more characters that are as interesting to play and less nerfing of those characters.