** Hawkeye (Modern) ** [PRE 2014-09]

Comments

• Yeah in this event his beauty is his environment tiles. I leveled him to 23 for survivability and critical matches. Combine that with an avoid that makes wolvie tank (free healing and easy to keep him alive or get his health back up) and hawk makes a great sub in this event for your heavy hitters.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    the moose wrote:
    Yeah in this event his beauty is his environment tiles. I leveled him to 23 for survivability and critical matches. Combine that with an avoid that makes wolvie tank (free healing and easy to keep him alive or get his health back up) and hawk makes a great sub in this event for your heavy hitters.

Got mine up to level 50. Loving this 200% boost. I once had a good red cascade after starting with red AP boosts and placed two simultaneous Blast Arrows. 2 turns later, over 6000 dmg to all enemies. It was beautiful.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    I have a decent Hawkeye (5/5/3 at lvl 20) with a mediocre Wolvie(5/5/3 at lvl 50 - should I rebuild to 5/3/5?) but hadnt considered playing them in The Hunt as my IM40/Thor team have been getting the job done. Who would be best as the third wheel?
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    I have a decent Hawkeye (5/5/3 at lvl 20) with a mediocre Wolvie(5/5/3 at lvl 50 - should I rebuild to 5/3/5?) but hadnt considered playing them in The Hunt as my IM40/Thor team have been getting the job done. Who would be best as the third wheel?

I've been praising Wolvie a lot today in other threads so i feel like he should send my some good swag for all this free promotion. First of all, 5/5/3 is not bad at all. At level 70 he does 1850ish with his red. If you have some strike tiles on the board that number goes up obviously. His heal goes off plenty at level 3. Raise the level on your Hawkeye a little more and on wolvie as much as you can in this hunt event. Let hawkeye get lots of enviro tiles. Set up your party so that Wolvie is directly to the right hand of hawkeye (if a character is forced into the center spot then put hawkey on the left side of your screen and wolvie on the right). Hawkeye will avoid and pass damage to wolvie, who can then heal that damage right back up. Try to match any crits you get with enviro tiles and it makes for a quick and easy match. It so nice to give thor a break and makes it so you don't have to burn through all your heals.
  • MarvelMan
    the moose wrote:
    Raise the level on your Hawkeye a little more and on wolvie as much as you can in this hunt event.

Even at high levels it sounds like he is awfully squishy so where do you feel the line is for leveling vs wasting iso?

Thanks for the tips!
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    the moose wrote:
    Raise the level on your Hawkeye a little more and on wolvie as much as you can in this hunt event.

Even at high levels it sounds like he is awfully squishy so where do you feel the line is for leveling vs wasting iso?

Thanks for the tips!

With his avoid skill he isn't as squishy as you would think. On rare occasions in tough missions where tiles just don't fall my way, Hawkeye is still the last to die. Even if a pyro gets off an attack that damages the whole team Hawkeye still avoids it! Now after this event he may go back to a meh character. I had him at level 23 for the last 5 days of the event and he did just fine. I just leveled him to 43 just to speed up the event a little. Levels come pretty cheap at those lower levels so it doesn't hurt to get him to 30 or so. And you can be pretty sure that many future events will have him buffed again so nothing is a waste. But since you are also trying to level Wolverine or other characters don't go to crazy with the iso on him. Try him out and see if its working for you and then decide how high you want to go
  • MarvelMan
    Thanks moose!

Ive pushed him to 30, and played a couple of Alaska missions with him. Who is your third, and whats the strategy for that team? I think I started goofing up the strat a bit by using my lvl 95 IM40 who stole all the tiles. =)
  • No problem. A lot of the thirds are whichever character they throw in my party. Obviously Thor and IM40 are great. But I've thrown in any random character and its worked just fine. They sit there and look pretty most of the time. As others mentioned though, try to keep Hawks reds blues and purples the best on the board so that when you match a crit with it you get the advantage of his %200 buff. On some of the harder levels you have to strategize a bit and hope for good tile placement, and nuke a lot of stuff with Thor, but most levels is just about matching enviro tiles, getting greens and reds for wolvie, avoid damage so it passes to wolvie, use the occasional blue or red countdown tile for Hawk. My blue and red are still not maxed (keep pulling more purples i don't need) so my countdowns are a little high for my need for imediate gatification. But at level 5 , 2 turns isn't bad. Just play around with it on some of the easier levels and you'll get a good strategy for your team.

Once in a while you will die. It happens even to the best team when nothing falls your way. Nothing you can do about that. But Wolvie heals fast with the tips mentioned and since the third member doesn't matter much you're only out 1 heal if you don't want to wait a couple hours for hawk to heal. I currently have 85 heals. I'm super stingy with them yes, but my team and play style mean I don't burn through them as fast
  • As mentioned, his purple was nerfed some time ago such that whenever bow and arrow guy cartwheels and backflips behind his teammates, the next teammate in line takes *extra* damage. Which frankly seems like a good argument *not* to use this ability (or the character).

Stun state also counters bow and arrow guy's purple. If his teammates are stunned, he can't cartwheel and backflip behind them and he takes the hit in the face. If he's stunned, he can't cartwheel and backflip and he takes the hit in the face.

His blue is very damaging and the stun is scary in theory, but it works off a countdown tile, and with R42, countdown tiles get frozen once their owners get stunned.

His red is possibly a little more relevant now that C. Storm's yellow was nerfed, but come on...is this really the best red damage ability any of us can muster for a team? icon_redface.gif

Beyond that, he's just this really squishy guy that doesn't have C. Storm's damage potential or Thor's tankiness. I still say he's not worth the bother, even with a 200% buff. icon_e_confused.gif Just IMO, but I have yet to see anything that would change my mind, and I include the recent Bow and Arrow Guy vs Bow and Arrow Guy weekend tournament in that.
  • someguy wrote:
    As mentioned, his purple was nerfed some time ago such that whenever bow and arrow guy cartwheels and backflips behind his teammates, the next teammate in line takes *extra* damage. Which frankly seems like a good argument *not* to use this ability (or the character).

Stun state also counters bow and arrow guy's purple. If his teammates are stunned, he can't cartwheel and backflip behind them and he takes the hit in the face. If he's stunned, he can't cartwheel and backflip and he takes the hit in the face.

Thank you for pointing that out. And in a normal tourny event where stuns can happen he might be junk. In this pve event where only Venom can stun, it really doesn't come into play very often. And my comments were based on a team using him passing damage to Wolverine. So Even if that Pyro attack manages to take wolvie out, he can be healed up in 15 minutes. I don' think i would have Hawk avoid to another character like thor that takes 8 hours to heal. I'm not saying Hawkeye will be useful on all teams, but when any hero gets 200% buff, its pretty easy to make good use of him
  • It's not so easy if you have other high level characters; particularly if they have boosts as well (such as in this PvE tournament). As an example, I don't think he matches well with the previously mentioned L94 IM40 unless you pump a silly amount of ISO into him.

In this particular event I would find it hard to recommend spending resources on Hawkeye over ANY of the other buffed heroes -- Thor, IM40, Spidey, or Black Widow Grey Suit. All are actually useful outside this tournament, although only Thor is easily available to all players.
  • I have also been loving the 200% buff on Hawkguy for the Hunt.
    I currently have him at lv40 with 4/5/3. I'm still learning team building strategies so I was pretty much training what ever covers came up as I pulled them.
    My question is should I go 5/5/3 or 4/5/4?

Sidenote: I've been lurking the forums for a couple of weeks. Started playing about a month ago. Seems like a pretty cool community and I think I'll stick around.

Also, The Moose's suggestions post from the other day sounds awesome. Props.
  • I would go with 5/5/3. Their is almost always a good amount of purple tiles on the board so that his purple passive always goes off. If you really want him to not take any damage at all, then go ahead and put another purple into him, but just remember that when he is the last one on your team, you won't be getting the benefits of his maxed red and blue abilities, while his purple would be completely useless. It's up to your strategy, good luck
  • I would say in your case you should definitely go 5/5/3. I think his Blue skill is much more used than his Red, I have a 5/4/4 myself at lvl 70 and have to say that's also a good build in my experience but you can't do this anymore. There are a lot of characters with better red skills but not so many with better Blue skills atm so 5 in blue is very important. As stated above, he avoids nearly every time with 3 purple and with 4 purple I can't avoid like 1 time in 50 matches or so.
  • It's also important to note that Hawkeye has relatively low attack numbers for red/blue. So outside of boosted scenarios, he prolly won't be out in front all that often.
  • Awesome. Thank you all for your advice. I was kinda leaning towards the 5/5/3 build.
    Now I just have to pull one more Blue.
  • Is it me or did MH get nerfed in the most recent patch? Prior to the patch if I was doing a fight in The Hunt (where MH is boosted 200%) if I got a critical match with pink I'd do somewhere around 4000 damage. Now it seems like it's between 1000-2000. What gives?
  • trojanguy wrote:
    Is it me or did MH get nerfed in the most recent patch? Prior to the patch if I was doing a fight in The Hunt (where MH is boosted 200%) if I got a critical match with pink I'd do somewhere around 4000 damage. Now it seems like it's between 1000-2000. What gives?

The nerfed all crit matching on buffed characters.
  • trojanguy wrote:
    Is it me or did MH get nerfed in the most recent patch? Prior to the patch if I was doing a fight in The Hunt (where MH is boosted 200%) if I got a critical match with pink I'd do somewhere around 4000 damage. Now it seems like it's between 1000-2000. What gives?

Before the buff was applied to both the damage per tile and to the crit multiplier, so the 3x buff became 9x. This is for all characters, not just Hawkeye.
  • I've got a lvl 82 hawk. For a 2** he does me very well with my max thor, but he will be replaced when I get my 3* spider leveled. His blue countdown has saved me a number of times vs high level rags. Often he is the last m man standing when I fight harder opponents but the 4 turn stun with a red countdown tile is a nice finisher.

I didn't have many characters leveled tho, and I got his covers maxed faster than storm.
This discussion has been closed.