My experience with this game (F2P player)

Options
I've been playing this game for 136 days. I have all the 2* and 1* characters I need maxed. My best 3* character is a level 79 Daredevil. Others I leveled are level 53 GSBW, level 66 Hood and a level 64 Pun. I won covers for these in PvPs by getting top 50 or better rank. Due to recent changes to bracketing, I cannot score top 50 anymore. I don't shield and I haven't gone above 800 points ever in a PvP, not that I can. Also, I don't live in North America. Last night I left my score around 620 in Daken PvP. Since I did not need Moonstone covers (top 50 was out of question), I left it there and ended up getting 3 standard token reward below Moonstone rewards covers.

I have 388 hours of gameplay in this according to Steam. I haven't paid any to this game. I think devs are telling me, look you played this much and got 4 3* characters to some level (they are totally useless till you get them to level 100 btw), you cannot win any more 3* covers from PvPs if you are not playing till you reach 900 or more points. I'm not sure about exact numbers because my highest was 800 once and that didn't get me top 50. After that I stopped trying. You need to score more than that if you want only one 3* cover (top 50 reward). Then I say, I don't have time to play that much. You can use boosts to quicken the grind and shield and plan when you play blah blah blah blah. No. I won't. I won't get up at the crack of dawn to play the game.

The game is good until you get to a certain day and after that game starts to put you in difficult brackets and you can't win anymore (1 3* cover is enough for me as a win, top 50). Do you want to win more? You need to grind like crazy (scoring above 800 is grinding like crazy to me) if you are an F2P player and make your way into a 20 people alliance who are as crazy as you with regards to grinding to get some 3* alliance covers. Even if you pay and get enough good 3* characters and level them up then you are gonna get screwed with difficult brackets. Now you need to shield. That didn't work either? Buy more covers with your gold. Buy more boosts.

They had a server **** up in the middle of Iron Man PvP. Solution? Lets extend the season. Yeah, totally the solution that makes sense. I will quit the alliance (sorry guys) after the season ends and play in a more casual manner maybe. I like the game but there isn't much to go on for me now for the reasons I listed above.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    It's been mentioned before but it will be interesting to see what happens for Season 2. If this forum is any indication of the general population of players, a lot less people will be playing as much as they have been. If that results in a lot less people paying for stuff, then maybe the developers have their hand forced.

If I were a betting man though, little changes. Just seen it happen too many times with other games.
  • AlphaNik
    AlphaNik Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I just received a yellow Hood as a daily reward so i must be around day 120. I Have 5 2* maxed, Thor, OBW, Ares, Wolvie and Storm, a level 89 Patch, a 77 Hulk, a 66 Magneto. Now i've been reading about crazy difficult PVP bracket, thing is last 3 tournament were the easiest i've been into. Got a yellow LazyThor cover with around 700 point, likely less. For the first day i've been EARNING point from retaliation. I'don't know if i've just been lucky, if the system consider me not to be a veteran or my rooster is not considered good enough to play in the big league icon_e_smile.gif Thank to a cover from the 5000 point reward in season my Patch is now 102, we'll see if something change
  • Unknown
    Options
    388 hours of gameplay and you don't think the devs are at least worthy of a few bucks in hp so you can afford some shields in pvp?

Don't get me wrong, I have my fair share of complaints but I do think there comes a point where you should be compelled to pay at least a few bucks
  • Unknown
    Options
    For the record the evil bracketing is a pretty recent change (and IceIX played like surprized, we could even think the measure is more accident than design, but they discovered the perfect shielding formula hat way and we have it ever still...)

Before the evil bracketing F2P progress was not really hosed you can look the progress of my roster in the roster snapshots thread, by now I miss maybe a dozen *** covers not counting Lazy Daken.

In the current state I think those who pay (not excessively) are hosed exactly that much while newcomers sit back and enjoy the rigged brackets.
  • Unknown
    Options
    MPQ is like (American) midwestern weather. Just give it a day and it will all be totally different.

icon_e_wink.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    388 hours of gameplay and you don't think the devs are at least worthy of a few bucks in hp so you can afford some shields in pvp?

Don't get me wrong, I have my fair share of complaints but I do think there comes a point where you should be compelled to pay at least a few bucks

I won't speak for this guy but I can say that I don't spend money simply because the value is so bad. Unless you are using only 3 hr shields, which still requires a lot of good timing, you are getting ripped off imo.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    I'm F2P, on Day 123, and I don't consider myself a "grind like crazy" player. I do like figuring out optimizations, though. I happened to help build a great alliance, and we all generally like to score high. So, with some token pull luck and alliance rewards, I've got 4 L141s, 2 L128s, and 4 maxed 2*s. I'm not F2P due to some deep philosophical mantra, but simply because I haven't felt the need to spend money yet.

While I've consistently been in crazy brackets where T10 consistently required 1000+ points (and one bracket where 1004 got me #19), do you have any screenshots of your bracket that required 1100 for Top 50? That's a whole new level of insanity.
  • Unknown
    Options

Well, I wanted to get some roster space at the start but I couldn't. I don't think anyone is interested into why, so I will put it in spoilers. Just feeling the need to defend myself.
    I don't have an income. I don't pay for my internet. I tried to get a bank card that I can spend online with just for this game matter of fact. Turns out I can't do that since I don't have an income even if when I put money in the card. Banks here don't allow it. This is the short version. I've gone to the bank and called them numerous times to figure out why Steam wasn't accepting my card number. I made a complaint via e-mail after I nearly gave up. They called me back and told my card didn't have online features even though it said "you can buy with this card" on it. Just not online.
    And yes, I was compelled to pay. I wanted to.
    HailMary wrote:
    I'm F2P, on Day 123, and I don't consider myself a "grind like crazy" player. I do like figuring out optimizations, though. I happened to help build a great alliance, and we all generally like to score high. So, with some token pull luck and alliance rewards, I've got 4 L141s, 2 L128s, and 4 maxed 2*s. I'm not F2P due to some deep philosophical mantra, but simply because I haven't felt the need to spend money yet.

While I've consistently been in crazy brackets where T10 consistently required 1000+ points (and one bracket where 1004 got me #19), do you have any screenshots of your bracket that required 1100 for Top 50? That's a whole new level of insanity.
    I consistently scored at least 600 in every PvP starting from when I could and I told you about my roster. Not everyone in my alliance scores 600, so we don't make top 100 often. Btw, I don't have a philosophical mantra for not spending either. I don't know about the numbers. I exaggerated a bit. I will edit my post. Most I scored was 800 and that didn't get me top 50. As I said before, I don't have any kind of resources (time and money) to go above that. If others want to comment on it like you, they're welcome.
  • Unknown
    Options
    KevinMark wrote:
    Well, I wanted to get some roster space at the start but I couldn't. I don't think anyone is interested into why, so I will put it in spoilers. Just feeling the need to defend myself.

You can buy Steam gift cards at Walmart/CVS/Target.
  • Unknown
    Options
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:

You can buy Steam gift cards at Walmart/CVS/Target.
    Those must be American brands. We don't have those here. I looked into buying them before as well.
  • HailMary
    Options
    KevinMark wrote:
    Most I scored was 800 and that didn't get me top 50. As I said before, I don't have any kind of resources (time and money) to go above that.
    Ah, yep, several Djangoliers have encountered the same thing. It's pretty crazy, especially when 800 was an easy Top 5 less than a month ago.
  • Unknown
    Options
    So you've played near 3 hours a day for 4 months on this game and have no 100+ 3 stars? Something seems suboptimal here. I have played similar amounts of time, so I feel you should have something like a cover maxed Punisher (they gave him out as easily reachable PvE progression rewards several times) or something to pump iso into to get you to the next level in PvP. There's a billion OBW/Punisher teams in every PvP tournament and they can be a **** to face.
  • Unknown
    Options

LOL, you want a disgruntled player, who can't advance and is ready to quit, to line the devs pockets with more $$$$$$$$$$$??
  • Unknown
    Options
    HailMary wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:
    Most I scored was 800 and that didn't get me top 50. As I said before, I don't have any kind of resources (time and money) to go above that.
    Ah, yep, several Djangoliers have encountered the same thing. It's pretty crazy, especially when 800 was an easy Top 5 less than a month ago.

I was around 850 in the recent Lazy Daken event that ended last night. I finished outside the Top 50. I obviously wanted to score a Lazy Thor cover, but ended up with a Moonstone instead. I'd rather have gotten 3 standard tokens. This game is becoming more and more of Pay to Win game more than ever..
  • HailMary
    Options
    MikeHock wrote:
    I was around 850 in the recent Lazy Daken event that ended last night. I finished outside the Top 50. I obviously wanted to score a Lazy Thor cover, but ended up with a Moonstone instead. I'd rather have gotten 3 standard tokens. This game is becoming more and more of Pay to Win game more than ever..
    Well, MPQ progression has always required investment in one or more of the following ways: time, effort, money. It's just requiring more from mid/high-tier players, which is indeed a problem.

People currently in the 2*-3* transition are being screwed over much more than before, and I do feel for them: as a firmly 3* player, I've felt how much harder PVP now is, and it's a regular topic of discussion in Django's chat. It royally sucks, but I wouldn't reduce it to a simple "it's P2W now" statement. As I said, I'm F2P, and I'm still doing pretty well using only earned HP for shields.
  • Unknown
    Options
    HailMary wrote:
    MikeHock wrote:
    Well, MPQ progression has always required investment in one or more of the following ways: time, effort, money. It's just requiring more from mid/high-tier players, which is indeed a problem.

People currently in the 2*-3* transition are being screwed over much more than before, and I do feel for them: as a firmly 3* player, I've felt how much harder PVP now is, and it's a regular topic of discussion in Django's chat. It royally sucks, but I wouldn't reduce it to a simple "it's P2W now" statement. As I said, I'm F2P, and I'm still doing pretty well using only earned HP for shields.

I've got some high level 3*s and am finding PvP a farking joke. I'll have to spend much more time & effort and likely more Hero Points to yeild a single cover. I've scaled back playing so much, but I wanted a Lazy Thor cover so I tried and ended up wasting my time and effort climbing the ladder and I'm not doing it again.
  • Unknown
    Options
    HailMary wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:

Went to bed shielded at about 900 in the last event and placed 30. Woke up... top 100 award - shouldn't have bothered with a shield.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I am also a mostly-F2P player (I shelled out $5 for a roster slot to save one of my first 3* covers from a standard token...it was Rags, so didn't help me much) on Day 130ish.

The bracketing change is somewhat illusory - everyone wants to attribute their difficulty to that, but it's likely that overall scores have risen across the board as the number of people in each PvP continues to increase. I understand being upset that rewards are now more difficult to come by, but consider it a challenge to get better, perhaps?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Alarron wrote:
    I am also a mostly-F2P player (I shelled out $5 for a roster slot to save one of my first 3* covers from a standard token...it was Rags, so didn't help me much) on Day 130ish.

The bracketing change is somewhat illusory - everyone wants to attribute their difficulty to that, but it's likely that overall scores have risen across the board as the number of people in each PvP continues to increase. I understand being upset that rewards are now more difficult to come by, but consider it a challenge to get better, perhaps?

We'll see during the first PvP event after this season ends but I don't think the bracketing change is illusory at all. There are still brackets where 700 for the first place is the norm, they just don't have any veterans in them.

And by "getting better" you mean spending more HP on shields? Because there's little to no skill involved in this game, so not a lot of room for improvement when you need 1k points to get a couple 3* covers and after 700 you lose 80 points for every 20 you make.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Alarron wrote:

Scores are definitely up from the season, but it's not at all illusionary. IceIX posted on the forums that bracket formation gives a "gentle push" to put players who've played a similar number of days together.