PC Steam Launch - Pls read IceX~~

Puritas
Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
So uhh... 1 week into beta with a massive amount of bugs unironed out (including game-breaking connection errors), people being told on the facebook page that there is no current or future plan to link accounts with mobile, and it launches on steam as a full release with "bundle pricing" of $10, $40 and $100???
Massively bad PR move; the Steam forums are so chock-full of hate that bashing the game vs positive response is literally more than a 20:1 ratio.

This has been my favorite game across all platforms for the past few weeks and I really want to see it do well, please consider pulling it from steam until you can change the way it's presented icon_e_sad.gif
I like all other involved players know that this game is unusually not pay-to-win for a f2p game, but if I'd only seen this game with the state of the steam launch I'd have trusted the hordes of screaming morons, gave the game a pass, and never looked at it again.

I mean unless your goal is to shut up the one guy on management who keeps insisting he wants to make a transition to PC, the PR direction it's going will be really hard to recover from.

Comments

• Sometimes you don't get second chances in life...
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    It wasn't the best launch possible, I'll give you that. However, given the download numbers and retention of those new users we're seeing on Steam, I think that people are looking past the "All F2P is bad evil bad bad" people that the Steam Forums are filled with at the moment.

As for the pricing on those packs: They're the same price as what they'd cost if you were to pick them up on mobile. Assuming that we do linking in the future we didn't want to have a situation where the people that have access to the PC version have an innate advantage through being able to access cheaper packs compared to someone who doesn't.
  • From my experience, the general video game populace is quick to judge F2P and casual and especially F2P casual. I wouldn't think too much of it, especially when a reviewer states that he played the game for less than a day then uninstalled.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    IceIX wrote:
    As for the pricing on those packs: They're the same price as what they'd cost if you were to pick them up on mobile. Assuming that we do linking in the future we didn't want to have a situation where the people that have access to the PC version have an innate advantage through being able to access cheaper packs compared to someone who doesn't.

Ah I didn't mean the cost ratio, I meant just showing them as purchasable "DLC" on the store front rather than only in-game - especially when one of the options is $100, it gives a really bad impression to people before they download it.

I'm glad to hear about the user retention, I'd love for it to work out so I can eventually play linked - I sit in front of my computer with a charging cable in my phone playing puzzle quest as it is icon_e_biggrin.gif