Attack Through Shield Issue

Options
bahamut685
bahamut685 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
Any chance that it's getting fixed anytime soon? I got hit once (and lost points) one minute after using a shield, and again a few minutes later... If it had only been once, I'd have believed the server update issue, despite my checking individual and alliance standings after placing the shield... But since it was at two separate times, I'm tending to consider it a problem.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    This bug provides more revenue. What's the point in fixing that?
  • Unknown
    Options
    I had someone tell me they had hit me and the notification didn't come in for another hour. I think we all greatly underestimate how bad the lag is, especially given everything else that happened today.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm pretty certain it's not a bug, it's more a issue with response time between the server and your client.
    You don't get notified in real time of when you get attacked, normally there's a slight delay. Have you ever been skipping through your queue when a red node appears, but yet you've not been notified that you've been attacked? Same thing.

It takes a while for the server to register to battle so on occassion just after you shield, only then do you get notified that someone attacked and beat you a minute or so previously thus negating the effects of your shield.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Twysta wrote:
    I'm pretty certain it's not a bug, it's more a issue with response time between the server and your client.
    You don't get notified in real time of when you get attacked, normally there's a slight delay. Have you ever been skipping through your queue when a red node appears, but yet you've not been notified that you've been attacked? Same thing.

It takes a while for the server to register to battle so on occassion just after you shield, only then do you get notified that someone attacked and beat you a minute or so previously thus negating the effects of your shield.
    Still, it's something that should be fixed.

Example:

I'm at 1100pts. #1 is at 1120pts (and I know he won't play anymore). I win 1 match and shield for the rest of the tourney, happy of my first spot. Then, later, I get the notification (or don't, if I shut the game), so I'm back at #2.

The description of shield is clear. I'm paying for it with HP. I expect it to be working as intented.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Don't get me wrong! I'm not disagreeing with anyone.

It is an issue and it is annoying.
    I can't see them prioritizing this issue however, if at all.
    The only thing they could do would be to try increase the response rate of server to the client so that you get notified quicker... but I guess until they start spending some of their money on new servers or something then I'm not really sure what else we can expect.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It is a server lag issue. I raised this in a support ticket after it happened a couple of times in one event -- and when my scores changed several minutes after I shielded. The response I got told me that the reason is that the loss was recorded before I shielded, but it did not reach me yet.

I have since learned a few ways of recognizing if that has occurred.

First, if you are at a point where you would get a progressive reward, you will be able to tell if you've been hit before you buy a shield. Regardless of the lag/lack of notification, you will not get the progressive if you've been hit. So if you think you have crossed a threshold for a reward but don't get the notification for the reward, even if the game is telling you that you have the points, you probably don't. So if you were planning on shielding after getting that reward, do another match.

Second, your bracket score tends to update more quickly than the score on your main screen with the nodes. So quickly check the bracket to see if your score there matches what you think it is. If it doesn't match, that may be a sign that you were hit and the server is lagging in giving you the notification.
  • Unknown
    Options
    It is a server lag issue. I raised this in a support ticket after it happened a couple of times in one event -- and when my scores changed several minutes after I shielded. The response I got told me that the reason is that the loss was recorded before I shielded, but it did not reach me yet.
    Of course it's a server lag issue. The aggravating part is that anybody with a bit of experience in client/server programming would have expected it and found ways to circumvent it. That's really not rocket sience, sort of on par with knowing where to place your thumb when hammering in a nail.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Twysta wrote:
    The only thing they could do would be to try increase the response rate of server to the client so that you get notified quicker...
    You always get delays in client/server communication, especially in an environment like this one. Increasing the response rate isn't the answer, you need to design your software in a way that it takes this effect into account. It's quite easy to implement the shield mechanic so that players don't have to suffer the side effects of latency. You just need to be willing to do it.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, actually, I haven't recieved push notifications of attacks at all yesterday, and I apparently got some defensive wins in daken that I never saw a recap of at all
  • Unknown
    Options
    bahamut685 wrote:
    Any chance that it's getting fixed anytime soon? I got hit once (and lost points) one minute after using a shield, and again a few minutes later... If it had only been once, I'd have believed the server update issue, despite my checking individual and alliance standings after placing the shield... But since it was at two separate times, I'm tending to consider it a problem.

Considering they didn't bother even with the Ares bug that takes all 10 minutes to fix I'd say it won't happen in the game's lifetime.
  • bahamut685
    bahamut685 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options

I have since learned a few ways of recognizing if that has occurred.

First, if you are at a point where you would get a progressive reward, you will be able to tell if you've been hit before you buy a shield. Regardless of the lag/lack of notification, you will not get the progressive if you've been hit. So if you think you have crossed a threshold for a reward but don't get the notification for the reward, even if the game is telling you that you have the points, you probably don't. So if you were planning on shielding after getting that reward, do another match.

Second, your bracket score tends to update more quickly than the score on your main screen with the nodes. So quickly check the bracket to see if your score there matches what you think it is. If it doesn't match, that may be a sign that you were hit and the server is lagging in giving you the notification.
    I did both of those things, hit the progression I was targeting (and got the reward), immediately shielded, then checked my standing in bracket, said I had what I had... Then at 2 separate times got notifications of points lost on defense... Ergo, error on their part. But I don't bother with tickets, since the 2 tickets I've ever submitted got (roughly), "Thank you for bringing this to our attention." (with no recompense)