** Black Widow (Original) ** [PRE 2014-06]

Comments

• Ok, thanks for the answers, gonna keep her with 3 purple covers instead of 4.
  • ya, i think she still does the extra damage no matter what (with level 4 and/or 5 of cause), as long as the tile is her icon. The stealing is aside of that i guess.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    It's something I have asked to be worked on - not the abilitiy, the description.
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6449
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have grown to love my fish netted lady for months now, but alas I find myself dealing with her limitations. I have steadfastily defended and ran a 3/5/5 OBW without ever second guessing, but have found myself recently either not needing her, or finding this build to be lacking. Some may ask, how have you outgrowng OBW, she is a staple. Alas my young men and women, you too will soon outgrow her and not because you fell in love with a spider and here's why.

--The first reason you begin to outgrow your OBW is when you get a high level 5/5/3 Hood. He's simply a better, especially with 3* Cap.

--The second reason, everytime you have her in a team comp she almost never has any colors but purple anymore therefore her blue becomes less effective and your strike tile damage bonus you once had is all but gone. This is when I got my Punisher maxed, she no longer matched on black thus greatly reducing her effectiveness

--Third, when her heals don't heal for much, and you start to notice yourself not using her heal when CD tiles our out because you don't want to cast a suboptimal heal. At this point I realized that 5 in blue was wasteful since I was treating it as a lvl 1-4 heal.

So I am at the predictament do I leave well enough alone, or do I try to optimize her for my 3*'s and try to get a little more use out of her? That's hard. She works great with Patch, but other than that, anyone else other than Thor steals a color from her. She is no longer a damage dealer for me except Purple. I think she may find some use with 3* Daken but I don't know.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    So I am at the predictament do I leave well enough alone, or do I try to optimize her for my 3*'s and try to get a little more use out of her? That's hard. She works great with Patch, but other than that, anyone else other than Thor steals a color from her. She is no longer a damage dealer for me except Purple. I think she may find some use with 3* Daken but I don't know.

I've long grown out of my OBW and never use her unless she's buffed for a PvE event. She's too squishy to play with the 3* crowd and her healing can't keep up with a character who has 6000-9000 health. It's too bad too, because her colors are a perfect rainbow fit with (Lazy) Thor and no one else out there has her combination of color.
  • over_clocked
    I find her a fine damage dealer even with purple only, it's not like she has too much health to be in front often. I do tend to match purple often though.
    In a Punisher/Patch/LT/the Hulk/HT comp she can have two colours to herself.
    She's good for quick pushes with strike tile characters, so there's that.
    If you tend to run massive tanks like LT, the Hulk and BP, of course her heals pale. I'm fine with her healing my Punisher and Hood.
  • Chalk this up to description confusion, and also misinformation. I thought OBW did damage at 3 covers (which I had) but she only starts to do damage at 4 covers (which I did not have). I agree with locked, the description for espionage could be better at the 4 and 5 cover levels.
  • She does the extra damage if you have 4 and above covers of the black. It is not related to stealing. She does the extra damage whether opponent has AP to steal from those colors or not. Description is clear. If OBW doesn't have the highest value on purple, blue and black then Espionage and extra damage won't work. Obviously. The problem is, must be "was" now that R52 has been released, AI triggered Espionage even if she didn't have the highest damage on those three colors in her team.
  • Kingofpopcorn
    Kingofpopcorn Posts: 65 Match Maker
    I noticed that OBW usually doesn't steal AP from enemies.
    I juste made a bucnh of tests with a friend and we are sur that
    My ennemies had black APs but when I made black matches nothing happened.
    Sometimes it works somtimes don't.

Do you experience the same issue ?

EDIT : I juste tried 14 times on blue and black tills and it did'nt worked a single time while it's working for AI.
    My OBW is 5/5/3 @lv85. I should be able to steal black, blue and purple tills EVERYTIMES.
  • Is your OBW tanking that color? I mean, does she have the greatest damage in your team for black? Otherwise the stealing won't happen.
  • Kingofpopcorn
    Kingofpopcorn Posts: 65 Match Maker
    It's true Doom is stronger in these colors.
    So that's why...

Merci icon_e_smile.gif
  • I got OBW's black cover today from battling in the Krackadoom event, maxing it at 5/5

Now my OBW is currently 1/2/5. I so hope i can get that purple color to 3 so I can start using her more in PvP
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 374 Mover and Shaker
    Ok, so what's up with Fishnet Black Widow healing her normal damage, and then additional damage if there are no countdown tiles on the board when she's your enemy (like in the God of Lies tourney right now).

She heals TWICE as much if you don't have a countdown tile, verses if I use her, she just increases the countdown tile by +2 and no healing.

WTH is that about?!?!?

(Sorry if she had a topic, I didn't see one on the front page).
  • With 5 blue covers, Widow's blue power will heal for 100% with no countdown tiles on the board, and will heal for 50% + increase the countdowns by 4 if there are countdown tiles on the board.
    Since yours is only increasing the countdowns by 2, it sounds like your Widow only has 1 blue cover. That'd be the difference.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, the thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5676
  • Eyris6
    Eyris6 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    What's the thought on 3 vs 5 purple OBW? Currently mine is sitting at 5/2/1, and obviously I'll get more covers, but I was curious. 4 purple is obviously the bad middle ground, but at 5 it seems like it might have some use in the OBW mirror matchup? Or is it just universally bad?
  • Eyris6 wrote:
    What's the thought on 3 vs 5 purple OBW? Currently mine is sitting at 5/2/1, and obviously I'll get more covers, but I was curious. 4 purple is obviously the bad middle ground, but at 5 it seems like it might have some use in the OBW mirror matchup? Or is it just universally bad?

I believe that at 5 it costs more purple to pull ofmnthe color steal that is why people run 3 on retcon instead so they don't have to take forever to pull off the move

My widow is now 2/2/5 I'm planning to get her purple to 3 and keep it there so her ap cost will only be 8
  • over_clocked
    11 purple AP is doable on offense against enemy oBW, but it's certainly risky too if they get even a single purple cascade. Even if you could steal purple later, your team has probably already suffered too much from enemy's cheap Recon. On defense, most people just laugh at 5 purple oBW (deals less damage due to often having only 3 in black, the steal not so lightning fast). Sad but true!
  • locked wrote:
    11 purple AP is doable on offense against enemy oBW, but it's certainly risky too if they get even a single purple cascade. Even if you could steal purple later, your team has probably already suffered too much from enemy's cheap Recon. On defense, most people just laugh at 5 purple oBW (deals less damage due to often having only 3 in black, the steal not so lightning fast). Sad but true!
    Depends on the matchup, if the opponents team is oBW/Thor/? 5 purple is usually a good counter as if you're focusing on purple, even if they get there's off you can often steal back before they get any scary abilities off. If they're running punisher or something, it doesn't work as well.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    My OBW has 3 purple covers. As a general rule of thumb, if I'm facing a team that has an OBW with 3 purple covers I usually try to take her out quickly. If she has 5 purple covers I can leave her until the end as long as I make sure to match all purple tiles. I don't feel safe letting her hang around if she only has 3 purple covers because it's too easy to get a lucky match or two for the 8 necessary AP.
This discussion has been closed.