Serious problem with new PVE joining

It has always been the case that when you joined a PVE, you joined along with the various other people who joined at the same time as you. This was a good thing, because it ensured that whenever you joined, you had a level playing field with the people you were competing against. It was also nice in that you could play the game on your own schedule, and if you were busy one day, you could join the next day, and be equally competitive. Plus, you didn't have to be play the game every 12 hours for a week, you could be more casual.

Last night my sons joined the heroic Oscorp. The first one was placed in a normal bracket, so my second son joined. He was placed in a completely different main bracket where the leader had around 13,000 points. Given that an entire sub run is barely 3,000 points, that means the main had been open for days somehow.

If this is a result of PVE joining by MMR, this is a very serious problem. It means that you can no longer choose your timing, period. If you don't join at the start, there becomes a very good chance that you will have no hope of winning. Effectively, they will have taken the heroic Oscorp points f-up, and made it universal for all of us to enjoy, every PVE. So no more planning the game around your life, now you have to plan your life around the game. Every 12 hours, every day, every pve, no exceptions, or no covers for you.

This of course adds to the fun of mmr brackets for pvp, and massive scaling for everyone. It seems like the new goal is to make the game unfun for as many people as possible.

If this is some kind of one-off bug, please tell me.

I have never been less happy with the game than I am right now.

Comments

• Did your son open the latest sub in Oscorp? Are the points in there no more than 3000 after completing each mission at least once? I only ask because it sounds like one of the players was placed in a 1000-person bracket that already had 900+ people in it. When that happens to me, I also see that the leader has a very high score - but rubberbanding lets me surpass him through normal, non-grinding play.

If that is no longer the case then the devs really have screwed this thing up to previously unimaginable levels.
  • He opened the sub, played everything down to under 100 points, and had under 3,000 points. So the leader had clearly been through multiple refreshes and PVE joining is clearly screwed.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rajjeq wrote:
    He opened the sub, played everything down to under 100 points, and had under 3,000 points. So the leader had clearly been through multiple refreshes and PVE joining is clearly screwed.

Your son will be able to catch up somewhat with repeatable nodes in the main bracket, so I wouldn't worry too much. He might be really behind now, but persistent playing then hopefully will get him a high placement.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Sand boxing.

Someone got kicked. Your son got his spot in the bracket.
  • No, that is not the case. Both of my son's brackets still had more than a hundred spots open when they joined.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Do your sons have similar time put into the game and rosters?

I don't think it's a MMR thing. My wife with 2 maxed 2 star characters and no 3 star characters close to max, yet power alliance members are still at the top of her bracket.

Are there power alliance members in both of their brackets?

It could be as simple as several open brackets randomly adding players with an RNG that just isn't adding to that one open bracket.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    It's the Hogwarts sorting hat, I'm Telling you!!
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, I'm really frustrated that in my overall bracket, the leader is a solid 7,100 points over me. I've placed In the top 25 on the first sub-node and am currently #13 in this one (although I fluctuate from #2-50 over the day). I don't see how bonus missions or sub-nodes, if they're equally available to everyone, will help folks catch up. I've grinded the two sub-nodes to catch up, but I think by doing that, I'm shooting myself in the foot for the final sub-node.

Current overall rankings in my bracket:

#1: 31.3K
    #2-#10: 29.1K-27.4K

#67-#75: 24.3-24.1K (Me: #72 at 24.2K)

I'm not saying that everyone's entitled to first place. However, I've ground my events to win 4/4 prizes or 1-point levels, and I'm at only 77% of the leader's score. There's not much more that I can do to remain in the hunt.

Edit: I can't do math sometimes.