*** The Punisher (Dark Reign) ***

Comments

• Misguided wrote:
    Shamusyeah wrote:
    I'm thinkin 5/5/3 as well. This character looks amazing. Health isn't terrible, makes strike tiles for black and green, good match damage. And the strike tiles are strong. I hope I win the hunt icon_razz.gif. I'm definitely replacing wolverine with this mean mother.

I don't get what people are seeing here. He doesn't look that good to me. Nice to have an attack on black I suppose, but it makes what, one strike tile? Uhm, so?

Green looks ok I guess, but I prefer wolverine's by far.

Red is probably the most interesting, particularly for use with buffed tanks.

What am I missing?

The molotov (black) generates an attack tile. This is important because it will synergize with the strike tiles and cause damage over time. Also, it isn't a single countdown tile. It generates a new attack tile every other turn, or every turn if it's level 5. That can add up quickly.

Judgement (green) will make a strike tile anywhere, not just red. I think this is his weakest skill, but it works well with the molotov.

Retribution (red) is exciting because of the percentage ability. It basically cuts down the advantage that tanks have over squishier characters. For instance, take two characters with 5000 max health and 10000 max health. If the last 40% (level 5) leaves the character vunerable to instant death, then the 5000 max health is in trouble at 2000 health, which it was anyway, but the 10000 max health is in trouble at 4000 health, where it used to be safe. So it is a way to help fight against a tank, especially in a buffed tournament.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2013
    Nemek wrote:
    Also, the damage is less for Punisher's green because it doesn't look like the strike tiles are exclusive to red tiles.

With Wolverine, there was always some maximum number of strike tiles and you had to actively avoid them (which would hurt any red damage characters.) With Punisher, it looks like it can be on any basic tile, meaning the maximum number of tiles it can affect is really large.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I hadn't realized that.
    Blue Shoes wrote:
    The molotov (black) generates an attack tile. This is important because it will synergize with the strike tiles and cause damage over time. Also, it isn't a single countdown tile. It generates a new attack tile every other turn, or every turn if it's level 5. That can add up quickly.

Yeah, I know the difference, I misspoke, sorry. But I need you to explain the rest of this. Level 5 says the countdown is reduced to one. It doesn't say anything about generating a new tile every turn. If the countdown tile is what spreads the attack tiles, and the countdown only lasts one turn, how can it make more than one attack tile? And what is the countdown duration if it isn't level 5?
  • IceIX explained on first page
    IceIX wrote:
    Mommson wrote:
    Thank you very much ^^ but I have really one other question about his black ability: generates it a countdown tile that is as long there as it isn't destroyed and always generating attack tiles or is it only generating one of them and vanishes?
    It generates one that hangs around and 'ticks' another tile onto the board when it goes off, then resets. It doesn't go away on its own, so it's a definite target for board control or instant matching targeting.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2013
    Ok, I missed that, thank you. I knew I had to be missing something, because it just didn't make sense.
  • Good to see the L5 stats in there. Cheers for that.

At first, I hadn't read the abilities closely and I was concerned this guy would totally undermine Doom. Now it's clear he's a Wolvie strike tile replacement. The character originally sounded cuckoo crazy icon_e_surprised.gif

But he just sounds like a really strong character that won't actually clash with Doom despite having a very similar ability.

3/5/5 sounds like the way to go, because countdown tiles icon_e_confused.gif .

The red is very welcome as a high-health giant killer type ability, and his green gives Wolvie players the upgrade they've been waiting for.
  • It will be interesting if people actually start using Moonstone once high level Punisher's are out in the wild. Before dumping ISO into Moonstone I would want to ensure that if she takes over control of the countdown, that each refresh would also be owned by her. I would suck to take it over and then have it revert back to the original owner once it refreshes.
  • It will be interesting if people actually start using Moonstone once high level Punisher's are out in the wild. Before dumping ISO into Moonstone I would want to ensure that if she takes over control of the countdown, that each refresh would also be owned by her. I would suck to take it over and then have it revert back to the original owner once it refreshes.

I'm not saying the powers/tiles are similar in any way outside of generating countdown tiles but based on the fact that she would take the stun after stealing ironman40s tiles I would think she permanently owns any tiles she takes over and reaps all the benefits/has to deal with all the consequences of owning that tile.

Until another moonstone steals it...
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/5 is my first instinct, but I'm not sure there's a bad build to be had here.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, does his Molotov disappear if he dies?

As a countdown tile, it should. I'll be surprised if it doesn't.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    5/3/5 is my first instinct, but I'm not sure there's a bad build to be had here.

It may be personal preference, but I think 4/5/4 would be worst for me... and it ain't that bad icon_razz.gif
  • ApocryphicV
    ApocryphicV Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    Whilst I liked the cover that is being used. I feel this one would have been fitting too.

portrait_incredible.jpg

All the characters on the cover are featured in MPQ and Iron Man is even wearing his Model 40 armor.
  • Who are people planning to team with this guy?

Right now, he mainly seems like the upgrade that all 2-star Wolvie players have been waiting for, no? Instead of a L85 strike tile character, there will be a L141 strike tile character (who, unlike 4-star Wolvie, actually adds decent damage...104 at max icon_e_surprised.gif )

Like Wolvie, he has a red you'll use rarely (but unlike Wolvie, this red is a definite game-ender when maxed, so you'll want to use it once or twice).

Like Wolvie, his green makes strike tiles.

Like Wolvie, you just pretend he doesn't have a 3rd ability (because again, countdown tiles... icon_e_confused.gif )

I actually feel like Ragnarok will match up decently just to pump this guy's green AP reserves (so you can pump out as many strike tiles as possible). Obviously, Ragnarok's green will be a problem if your strike tiles end up in the center column...

I figure Thor's yellow might be a good match too to generate green but without board clear.

Obviously, he seems like he'll clash most strongly with board-clearing characters like Grey Widow, etc.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    someguy wrote:
    Who are people planning to team with this guy?

Right now, he mainly seems like the upgrade that all 2-star Wolvie players have been waiting for, no? Instead of a L85 strike tile character, there will be a L141 strike tile character (who, unlike 4-star Wolvie, actually adds decent damage...104 at max icon_e_surprised.gif )

Like Wolvie, he has a red you'll use rarely (but unlike Wolvie, this red is a definite game-ender when maxed, so you'll want to use it once or twice).

Like Wolvie, his green makes strike tiles.

Like Wolvie, you just pretend he doesn't have a 3rd ability (because again, countdown tiles... icon_e_confused.gif )

I actually feel like Ragnarok will match up decently just to pump this guy's green AP reserves (so you can pump out as many strike tiles as possible). Obviously, Ragnarok's green will be a problem if your strike tiles end up in the center column...

I figure Thor's yellow might be a good match too to generate green but without board clear.

Obviously, he seems like he'll clash most strongly with board-clearing characters like Grey Widow, etc.

Ragnarok will synergize like crazy with Punisher, and I suspect it might be the tipping point for nerfing Rag once it goes into full effect. Ragnarok will generate green like crazy, Punisher will use all of the green to make 9 strike tiles with relative ease. Then, every thunderclap will use those strike tiles to do extra damage.
  • someguy wrote:

Right now, he mainly seems like the upgrade that all 2-star Wolvie players have been waiting for, no?

Why, when you can use them both and fill the entire board with strike/attack tiles?
  • Misguided wrote:
    someguy wrote:

Right now, he mainly seems like the upgrade that all 2-star Wolvie players have been waiting for, no?

Why, when you can use them both and fill the entire board with strike/attack tiles?

icon_question.gif

Not sure I see why you'd want both...Wolvie's are definitely cheaper but even with Rag, green AP will be limited at some point, no? Punisher's costs 8. Wolvie's costs 3. That's 11.

I'd probably want to use a different character for utility. Spidey to stun so that enough red tiles stay on the board to convert into strike tiles, for instance.

Also, I'd think red tiles on the board would just be limited in supply. I'd want Punisher's (which max out at 104) on the board, rather than Wolvie's (which max out at 89). I assume Punisher's ability will not add new red tiles to the board, only convert existing, similar to Wolvie's.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    someguy wrote:
    Misguided wrote:
    someguy wrote:
    I assume Punisher's ability will not add new red tiles to the board, only convert existing, similar to Wolvie's.

If the description is to be trusted, Punisher's strike tiles are not limited to red tiles at all.
  • Nemek wrote:
    someguy wrote:
    Misguided wrote:
    someguy wrote:
    I assume Punisher's ability will not add new red tiles to the board, only convert existing, similar to Wolvie's.

If the description is to be trusted, Punisher's strike tiles are not limited to red tiles at all.

Duh. You see, I don't actually *read*, per se. icon_lol.gif

OK, that's even crazier. This guy sounds totally nuts now icon_e_surprised.gif
  • Joker117
    Joker117 Posts: 124
    Sooo punisher , wolverine and daken would make a decent strike tile mash up ?
  • Joker117 wrote:
    Sooo punisher , wolverine and daken would make a decent strike tile mash up ?

Wouldn't run Daken. He's way too squishy compared to Punisher. Daken tops out at just under 3K health. Punisher is about twice that.

I'm not convinced about Wolvie. If I get Punisher, I'll give it a shot. (My Wolvie is far from maxed out though...)
  • A wild Loki appears. His black skill is super effective.