*** Loki (Dark Reign) ***

Comments

• Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    buddy2034 wrote:
    Posted in the Sim event thread, but I'll ask here too. Does trickery have a limit to tiles affected? I only got about half of Falcon's protect tiles and wolvie's strike tiles to convert and was wondering if it was an error or if I can only change so many. Thanks for any insight.

I don't think so. I just submitted a bug report about this. In the past, I've fought daken/bullseye with him and the board was basically filled with enemy tiles... then, with trickery, it was filled with my tiles. Something is going awry.
  • hhmm, dun think got bug for this trickery skill, though i never really use him that often. Anyway, loki is a very under-rated char now i guess, though i kind of like him too.
  • I'm thinking of 5/5 for the build, Either that or 5/5. Any thoughts?
  • KLoganR wrote:
    I'm thinking of 5/5 for the build, Either that or 5/5. Any thoughts?

You fool everyone knows 5/5 is the only relevant build icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I'll say...Loki does have one HECK of an awesome use.

If you are against daken or patches. he's amazing. You turn 8 strike tiles into your own protect tiles. ALL of the tiles. now he's situational, wimpy, lackluster on offense but with some luck can be very good. Still not a top tier pick but not completely dumpster pick either. That being said. I wish his purple brought more to the table. or his black would fire off faster. having both skills be 5 would be perfect.
  • I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the required Loki in the Simulator. He actually proved relatively useful in those fights. Especially once when he turned a massively boosted IM35's shield tiles into strike tiles. Getting the strike tiles was great, but just clearing the shield tiles was awesome. I think Loki might have some uses, after all. Still pretty bad for general pvp, though.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find his purple ability undeniably useful. It's cheap and generally lines up like-colors near one another, if not into match-3s.

I used him to great effect in the Simulator by partnering him with buffed Ragnarok and Lazy Thor. I'd hoard red for Ragnarok until Thor's yellow was full, then bust off several of Ragnarok's red followed by Thor''s yellow. The green cascades were legendary, and once I was done I'd fire off Loki's purple to re-arrange the board and (usually) scoop up whatever green was left. I'd have enough green to power Thor's green ability 2-3 times and utterly destroy any foes who were still standing.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    If Loki got a third skill, this guy would seriously be top notch support. I'm thinking most people would just have 3 in purple, black still to me though costs 2 AP too much. I think Loki could be up there with Hood and OBW in terms of support if they would just give him a nudge.
  • This may be OP, but it could be a cool new mechanic:

Poisonous Thoughts (passive): Loki's manipulation leaves the enemy team weakened and confused. The enemy team cannot gain more than 9 AP of any one color in a single turn.

Level 2: cannot gain more than 7 AP
    Level 3: cannot gain more than 5 AP
    Level 4: cannot gain more than 4 AP
    Level 5: cannot gain more than 3 AP

This would make him kinda like the Hood. Low HP and some situational skills combined with a good defensive passive.
  • this is my idea

purple power randomly swap only red yellow green tiles,
    this would by chance either help or disrupt thor's progress

that or,
    matches as a result of purple power gets a damage boost, by % or +static number per match

another skill could be difficult to program but it's,
    changes the appearance of all colors on the board, for x number of turns
    i.e. red appear black, black appear blue etc. opponents matching red get black AP instead

the easier way i suppose would be opponents generate random AP
    i.e. opponent match 3 red, get 1 AP in 3 random colors

subsequent levels increase number of turns active, or number of colors involved, etc.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Loki isn't a great character, but I wouldn't say hes bad either. Using his purple when there is an unusually high concentration of 1 - 2 colors gives an extremely high chance of multiple matches and cascading. This means pairing him with any color creators creates a great combination. You will have a bad experience with him if you are spamming purple when it is available vs when your chances of matches increase. Note that characters who destroy tiles instead of swapping is less effective because you cannot control color variables in this way. He is also great for resetting the board when there aren't any preferred matches.

At a very modest price of 5 purple and a black that is strong towards specific characters, I think you have a character who is at least moderate in his usefulness.
  • MerC 47 wrote:
    KLoganR wrote:

I can see that. I've heard people are not leveling him up past 115, so I'm thinking that all push him as a 5/5 but keep him at 115. Thoughts?
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    If Loki got a third skill, this guy would seriously be top notch support. I'm thinking most people would just have 3 in purple, black still to me though costs 2 AP too much. I think Loki could be up there with Hood and OBW in terms of support if they would just give him a nudge.
    honestly, depending on how useful the hypothetical 3rd skill would be, you really can get by with a 4 in black, to bring it to 12 ap. Though yeah, since mid-swap matches don't count, 5 in purple is pretty much a waste as well
  • I would rather see a 4**** Loki than see the current Loki get a new move/buff. Heck, or just a variant 3*** Loki. He kinda needs too much of an overhaul than just a "buff" ...unless that 3rd move is getting a green forest fire lol. Actually, with green as a top 3 giving him a move kinda like patch's green would both be pretty cool AND make his black be more useful.

Ohh, how about this:

Chaos
    Green

Passive- whenever green is matched place one green enemy defense tile and one purple friendly attack tile for every 10 green ap owned prior to the match. Attack tile @max is 88 damage. Def tile at max is 44 damage. Max tiles of each allowed is 5 at max.

Logic: you have diff damage on the def and attack so that Loki has a damage bonus regardless. The enemy tiles though mean Loki can use his black with a purpose basically every match now! On top of that, to add some lore, the green is the enemy tile as a counter nod towards thor, who is green heavy and therefore the tiles are destroyed by thor...simultaneously indicating that Loki is out to get thor (thir has to destroy the protect tiles to match green) and to indicate thor beats Loki by seeing through his illusion (as illusion, his black, would make those attack tiles). Att goes on purple because it blocks enemy def tiles..Loki is one step ahead. Effectively its a weird weaker (1tile vs. 2) of dakan's green that combos with his black to become rather devastating over time.

On top of that, make his black swap but also add 5-15% depending on the lvl .
  • KLoganR wrote:
    MerC 47 wrote:
    KLoganR wrote:

I can see that. I've heard people are not leveling him up past 115, so I'm thinking that all push him as a 5/5 but keep him at 115. Thoughts?

People aren't leveling him past 115 because that's his max level.
  • Selenium wrote:
    KLoganR wrote:
    MerC 47 wrote:
    KLoganR wrote:

People aren't leveling him past 115 because that's his max level.

Hey, look up in the sky! See that little black dot above your head? How high that could be? 10 km? 20?

That's how high that joke flew above your head. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Having just endured a medium level (lv118) Patch and Loki combination on Simulator 7 multiple times, I can say with absolute confidence that the AI plays an absolute blinder on defence - consistently popping the black just after beserker rage is pretty devestating unless you've got a board changer/destroyer ready to negate it. Playing a lv138 Ragnarok, lv129 Lazy Cap and lv125 Ares I barely survive.
  • Having just endured a medium level (lv118) Patch and Loki combination on Simulator 7 multiple times, I can say with absolute confidence that the AI plays an absolute blinder on defence - consistently popping the black just after beserker rage is pretty devestating unless you've got a board changer/destroyer ready to negate it. Playing a lv138 Ragnarok, lv129 Lazy Cap and lv125 Ares I barely survive.

The problem is the goon feeding them both Black AND Green tiles. With him gone the match isn't that hard. From what I've seen the AI waits for Loki to be ready to unleash both abilities in sequence. So basically deny black, kill the goon FAST and the match should be over soon.
  • I suspected the Goon was playing his part, but the AI was unusually impressive with the ability timing considering how bad it tends to play on nearly every other occassion. Admittedly all it really meant AI wise is a conditional statement along the lines of "If opponent tiles exist then use, if not then don't use". Still, that's the important thing and it's good to know that if you leave the team on defence then it wont mess things up too much.

Given my appauling defensive track record (mainly due to lack of decent levelled chars) I think that a Loki, Patch, OBW (I guess not Hood due to the chance of him popping his black before Loki) combo could suprise a few people thinking it's an easy target? OBW and Loki's purple overlap might not be ideal if the AI prioritises Loki's purple but otherwise there's no red/green problems with Patch and OBW's black being passive doesn't cause problems either.
  • ChopsB wrote:
    This may be OP, but it could be a cool new mechanic:

Poisonous Thoughts (passive): Loki's manipulation leaves the enemy team weakened and confused. The enemy team cannot gain more than 9 AP of any one color in a single turn.

Level 2: cannot gain more than 7 AP
    Level 3: cannot gain more than 5 AP
    Level 4: cannot gain more than 4 AP
    Level 5: cannot gain more than 3 AP

This would make him kinda like the Hood. Low HP and some situational skills combined with a good defensive passive.

It's not a terrible idea but I think it needs to be applied to total AP earned per turn. That way you could limit the devastation of *epic* cascades. If level 5 limits total AP generation in a turn at 9-10 AP.

I've thought about Loki a lot as I like him.

Change to Trickery:

Trickery - Black 4 AP
    Loki’s trickery turns the enemy’s tools against them, converting 1 enemy Protect tile to friendly Strike tile and enemy Strike tile to friendly Protect tile.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Can convert 1 additional enemy tile at a cost of 1 AP more.
    Level 3: Can convert a total of 3 tiles at a cost of 1 AP more per tile.
    Level 4: Can convert a total of 4 tiles at a cost of 1 AP more per tile.
    Level 5: Converts all enemy tiles at max cost of 12 AP. [Alternative: Can now also convert Attack tiles]