Character rankings 3/2014 edition: the results!

Comments

• vudu3 wrote:
    Those patch notes are crazy!

No daily rewards
    20 level for abilities
    You could upgrade abilities for 1* heroes with Iso
    Magneto without Magnetic Translocation

It's like we're not even playing the same game now!

165 days later and I'm still not used to the daily reward, surprises me everytime.
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    vudu3 wrote:
    20 level for abilities

I remember that change, not too long after I started. Holy hell it seemed like it was gonna be impossible to lvl up characters before!
  • Here is my take-away from the results:

Top 4* character: Invisible Woman (only 2 choices, sooooo..... icon_e_confused.gif )

Top 3* character: Spider-Man (Classic, not KickMe)

Top 2* character: Black Widow (O.G. baby! Time for some espiostrike action!)

Top 1* character: Storm (ModStorm <3s FL! icon_e_biggrin.gif )

Bottom 4*: Wolverine (X-Force? Try X-Farce!)
    Bottom 3*: Daredevil (But ranked higher than bottom 4*!)
    Bottom 2*: Spider-man (*blonk* ....Huh...achievement unlocked...Best AND Worst. 25 points icon_lol.gif )
    Bottom 1*: Yelena Belova (exactly where she belongs icon_eek.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_cool.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif )
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    My opinions (and some collected from the forum) for any newcoming readers:

LazyThor has occupied a top 3 spot for good (along with Spider-Man and classic Magneto). The funny thing is that all three are likely to be nerfed for various reasons.
    Human Torch is a great offense player but probably only belongs in top 15 due to being a huge liability on defense.
    GSBW has fallen with LT's arrival (is still great as a green battery).
    Captain America (Steve Rogers) is solid if slow and surely belongs to top 10.
    The Hood should belong to top 6, imo, due to amazing synergy with a ton of characters and being great against LT, BP, LC which are a big thing now. Also some actually good CDs added to the game worth of using Intimidation on them (LC).

If top three are Spidey, LT and cMagneto with insertion of LT, #4 is probably still Patch, #5 Punisher (not Panther due to having only one good skill) and #6 Hood (folks admit that the best strategy is often to simply stun the Hood, his passive is that strong).

We shall wait and see how Falcon and lazyDaken influence the rankings (Daken will most definitely make a beeline for top 10).
  • locked wrote:
    My opinions (and some collected from the forum) for any newcoming readers:
    We'll do another round of rankings in about a month once there've been a few more new characters, but in the meantime, my thoughts:

- Thor is definitely top 5 but I don't have him in my top 3. Too slow for my liking, although I guess there's not a whole lot of difference between top 3 and top 5.
    - Human Torch's defensive liabilities are overrated. Top 10 for me, definitely potential for building a roster around.
    - I never liked GSBW that much, so she's exactly where I had her before.
    - Top 10 for Cap sounds about right. Above the Psylocke/Punisher tier but not quite as game-breaking as the Magneto/Spider Man tier. Hood in top 6 is about right too, although I don't think he's gotten that much better; we just had him underrated last time.

Based on what we currently know, I'd guess Daken lands in the top 5 and Falcon will be somewhere at the bottom of the top half.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    I don't like LT myself at all but all the buzz is about him, we had BP at top 4 simply for his black which has a drawback (that was a mistaken ranking but still).

LT has massive damage, health points, self-synergy, synergy with other characters, is AI-friendly, since his abilities don't have drawbacks. A bit slowish, yes, but pretty sure he is now an A-team member for a LOT of people. I have never seen a limited character get maxed this fast.

Who would you place at #3, Patch? Punisher?
  • Yeah, BP was pretty overrated in the last round. Although you do have to consider that there's still really not very much competition for black, so that helps bump him up.

Anyway, to be clear, I think Thor is very good, for all the reasons that you mention, but my issues are that he's slow, and I don't actually think he plays that well with other characters. He's so strong that you want to maximize his strengths, so yellow and green, but what's out there that actually helps generate either of those? Nothing comes to mind for yellow, and for green:

- Hulk, but on defense there's a good chance Hulk uses his green, which is a disaster
    - BWGS, who's terrible on defense and squishy on offense
    - Ragnarok, but if he uses his green it's even worse than Hulk's, and there's a good chance the AI saves up for Thor's red instead, which defeats the whole purpose
    - Hood/OBW, which is great, but you really need both to make Thor fast, and the events where you can play all three are pretty limited

Thor is good enough where you can just stick him on a team and deal with the slowness because when he gets enough AP it's lights out, but that's not really my style. I have Patch in the top 3 and I suspect I'll have Daken at #4 once he lands.
  • Yeah, BP was pretty overrated in the last round. Although you do have to consider that there's still really not very much competition for black, so that helps bump him up.

Anyway, to be clear, I think Thor is very good, for all the reasons that you mention, but my issues are that he's slow, and I don't actually think he plays that well with other characters. He's so strong that you want to maximize his strengths, so yellow and green, but what's out there that actually helps generate either of those? Nothing comes to mind for yellow, and for green:

- Hulk, but on defense there's a good chance Hulk uses his green, which is a disaster
    - BWGS, who's terrible on defense and squishy on offense
    - Ragnarok, but if he uses his green it's even worse than Hulk's, and there's a good chance the AI saves up for Thor's red instead, which defeats the whole purpose
    - Hood/OBW, which is great, but you really need both to make Thor fast, and the events where you can play all three are pretty limited

Thor is good enough where you can just stick him on a team and deal with the slowness because when he gets enough AP it's lights out, but that's not really my style. I have Patch in the top 3 and I suspect I'll have Daken at #4 once he lands.

And I hate that at max the Hood tanks yellow for Thor icon_neutral.gif
  • I am fearful and frustrated that we might soon have a Lazy Daken that will be a top 5 character in the game. Devs, there is still time to undo this madness.
  • i was just reading this again and missed it the first time but magneto's red can't destroy special tiles outright - just through cascading icon_e_wink.gif
  • Will there be an April edition soon?
  • grimeon wrote:
    Will there be an April edition soon?
    I think we will have a june edition... April is too soon...
  • mischiefmaker
    mischiefmaker Posts: 932
    Look for the next installment to happen some time late next month. There haven't been too many big changes in the meta lately, so it doesn't really make that much sense to do another edition with only 4 new characters (Thor, Cap, Torch, Falcon).
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Should probably also wait until after the promised nerfs / buffs.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can't wait to see where Steve Rogers and falcon will be at on the new list.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, this close? Wait to see how daken and 1 cover Nick fury shake out
  • So we're 2/2 on the champs getting neutered icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    It will probably be something like the following, at least until they nerf Mags and buff Wolverine X-Force. When that happens, The Hood will be the strongest character of the original roster.

1. Magneto (classic)
    2. Wolverine (Patch)
    3. Thor (Modern)
    4. Punisher
    5. Captain America (Steve Rogers)
    6. The Hood
    7. Black Widow (original)
    8. Daken (Classic)
    9. Black Panther
    10. Spider-Man
    11. Black Widow (grey)
    12. Hulk
    13. Thor (Marvel Now)
    14. Psylocke
    15. Human Torch
    16. Ares
    17. Falcon
    18. Doctor Doom
    19. Iron Man (Model 40)
    20. Nick Fury
    21. Storm (classic)
    22. Storm (modern)
    23. Magneto (Marvel Now)
    24. Wolverine (yellow)
    25. Daken (Dark Avengers)
    26. Ragnarok
    27. Invisible Woman
    28. Loki
    29. Captain America (modern)
    30. Hawkeye (modern)
    31. Black Widow (Modern)
    32. Daredevil
    33. Juggernaut
    34. Moonstone
    35. Iron Man (Model 35)
    36. Venom
    37. Wolverine (X-Force)
    38. Bullseye
    39. Hawkeye (classic)
    40. Bag Man
    41. Yelena Belova
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nick fury all the way down at 20? Blasphemy!

I'm skeptical how useful he'll really be until he gets his other covers, unless you spend hundreds of dollars maxing out his purple, the lower level cap is going to be pretty darn limiting
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    It will probably be something like the following, at least until they nerf Mags and buff Wolverine X-Force. When that happens, The Hood will be the strongest character of the original roster.

1. Magneto (classic)
    2. Wolverine (Patch)
    3. Thor (Modern)
    4. Punisher
    5. Captain America (Steve Rogers)
    6. The Hood
    7. Black Widow (original)
    8. Daken (Classic)
    9. Black Panther
    10. Spider-Man

I would put L. Cap a bit lower (#9 or so), but otherwise I agree with this.

edit: Because stunning is harder with Spider-man nerfed and because Lazy Daken goes well with him, I'd put Hulk at around #5.