*** Sam Wilson (Falcon) *** (Updated)

Comments

• Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Has anyone considered 4/4/5? I wonder if that significant increase in defense tiles would be worth only 5% less boosting
  • Aside from what's already been said, mostly by Riggy, I actually really like this ability. So I might strive for a Falcon the next time he's offered as a reward. Previously I was meh about the covers they were offering during The Hunt. Now I can't wait for a blue Falcon cover...if it's attainable for me... icon_e_confused.gif
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Redwing animation should include a poop imo.
  • After playing the second simulator node I love Falcon just because he turns high-level Muscle into a tiny kitten, instead of, well, a tinykitty . And you don't even have to level him!
  • Spoit wrote:
    Has anyone considered 4/4/5? I wonder if that significant increase in defense tiles would be worth only 5% less boosting

In the very near future (Patch R52) they will be changing it from the straight percentage to a scaling static amount (ie +5 buff at lvl 15, +75 buff at lvl 141) so until that happens it impossible to say as the effect of 5 yellow covers vs 4.

Daken / Falcon FTW. One Green Match by enemy, One Yellow match by you and like some sick magic trick 2 nasty strike tiles 2nd turn.
  • Redwing animation should include a poop imo.

I think his purple one would be more apt... first time I saw it I thought Falcons birds crapped all over my board.

Also am I the only one that thinks nom nom nom would be the perfect sound effect for redwing eating the tilse? or maby a pacman type sound.

I play with my sound off so don't know what the effects are.
  • dragma wrote:
    I play with my sound off so don't know what the effects are.

They used crow/raven sound effects. It bugs the hell out of me.
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    If the enemy team also has Falcon, seems like it could turn into a perpetual Redwing cycle.

Turn 1: Enemy places a strike tile.
    Turn 2: Your Falcon converts it to countdown.
    Turn 3: Enemy Falcon converts your countdown.
    Turn 4: Your Falcon converts the enemy countdown.
    Repeat until someone matches the tile?
  • Infrared wrote:
    If the enemy team also has Falcon, seems like it could turn into a perpetual Redwing cycle.

Turn 1: Enemy places a strike tile.
    Turn 2: Your Falcon converts it to countdown.
    Turn 3: Enemy Falcon converts your countdown.
    Turn 4: Your Falcon converts the enemy countdown.
    Repeat until someone matches the tile?

Redwing only activates each turn, so while it'd be pretty funny to see what basically amounts to doing nothing happening each turn, it's not an infinite loop.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Riggy wrote:
    user311 wrote:
    Is there a kindergarten version of the explanation for this ability? If I have 18 purples are you all saying that I cannot use this ability twice in a row; or make 2 yellow matches in a row? I just dont get it. Why would someone use this red ability if it creates a CD where the other abilities are unusable? I guess I need to move over to the character thread and read everything. I previously just thought this tile blocked the opponents Falcon abilities.
    Redwing is a passive ability - it triggers at the beginning of your turn and only if a) you have 8+ blue mana, b) there is an enemy tile that could be targeted by the ability, and c) you do not control a Redwing countdown tile. When it triggers, the valid tile in question is converted into a Redwing countdown tile, which acts as a cooldown (the ability won't trigger until that countdown expires). The cooldown can be reduced by removing the Redwing countdown tile (i.e. matching it away, Hood's black, Captain America overwriting it, etc.).

I'm not sure why you mention the matching of yellows - that's a separate ability and can happen as often as you match yellows (if you use Cap's yellow to place 3 shields and immediately make 2 of them into matches, Inspiration will trigger twice and will buff that third remaining shield twice).

Edit: I think I mis-read part of your question. The cooldown created by the Redwing ability only affects the Redwing ability; it has no effect on Falcon's other 2 abilities.

Just a small clarification here based on messing with this ability: matching a countdown tile does not merely "reduce" the count down; it eliminates it. Redwing will convert another enemy tile your next turn, provided you have the blue stock.
  • Agreed. Seriously. Like, Falcon could be used as an attack deterrant character just for the inspiration animation.
  • I was just doing the simulator against him and he used the passive and the countdown timer showed up. Then he matched it and on the next turn he redwinged again... that's a little unfair. There should be some penalty for not getting the timer to 0.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    What's unfair? It's a very powerful ability, if the enemy team gets to that much blue first.
    It needs to be distinct from all the other CD abilities where if the CD is destroyed you're screwed (oh LC how you suffer from this).
    Don't forget that most of time the CD cannot be matched away that easily and thus you have a few turns before enemy Redwing returns (blue is and should be a contested colour, at least you need to monopolize it when fighting Falcon and having any kind of special tiles on your team).
    If you run lazyThor (buffed MN Thor)/oBW, let them pile blue all they want though (if you haven't stolen it all already).
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Yep. If someone matches away the Redwing countdown tile, they could just as easily have matched the original special tile anyway.
  • So R52 is here, but it appears that static scaling for Falcon's yellow hasn't come along with it.

IceIX, can we expect the change to be made soon?
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Instead of Modern, Falcon's tag now reads Mighty Avengers.

Verily.
  • Lycra wrote:
    So R52 is here, but it appears that static scaling for Falcon's yellow hasn't come along with it.

I wonder if they are re-thinking it. Static buffs + Daken = Scary.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rorex wrote:
    Lycra wrote:
    So R52 is here, but it appears that static scaling for Falcon's yellow hasn't come along with it.

I wonder if they are re-thinking it. Static buffs + Daken = Scary.
    Even with his own protect tile move, changing from % to static would be scarier icon_e_surprised.gif
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    Posted Falcon's upcoming change as an announcement. Reposting here for ease of reading.

Falcon: Inspiration
    Old ability:
      Inspiration - Yellow Passive
      Falcon spreads his wings, motivating his teammates as he swoops into the fight. When the team makes a yellow match, Falcon improves the strength of 3 friendly Protect, Strike, or Attack tiles by 10 percent.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Improves friendly tiles by 15 percent. Level 3: Improves friendly tiles by 20 percent. Level 4: Improves friendly tiles by 25 percent. Level 5: Improves friendly tiles by 30 percent.

New ability:
        Inspiration - Yellow Passive
        Falcon spreads his wings, motivating his teammates as he swoops into the fight. When the team makes a yellow match, Falcon improves the strength of 2 friendly Protect, Strike, or Attack tiles by 7.
        Level Upgrades
          Level 2: Improves friendly tiles by 8. Level 3: Improves friendly tiles by 10. Level 4: Improves friendly tiles by 13. Level 5: Improves 3 friendly tiles by 13.
        Max Level: Improves 3 friendly tiles by 79.

As announced earlier, this ability needs to go to a static increase instead of a percentage. The percentage works great for scaling but works horribly for the character himself since it means that keeping Falcon at lower levels so that he doesn't tank any of the tiles is advantageous. Percentages also have the disadvantage of being great for high powered Strike/Protect/Attack tiles but fairly useless on low powered ones such as Storm (Modern)'s Hailstorm. Making the increase static instead of a percentage fixes these issues by allowing the value to scale by Falcons level. This means that it's important to level Falcon up to get more advantage from this skill. It also creates a strong reason for players to use Falcon with other characters that use lower powered tile placements as opposed to having him be at his strongest when dealing only with characters like Doom or Magneto.
      • This both makes his purple a lot better and makes 5/5/3 more attractive. How ironic!