PvE scaling should be based on PvE points

Options
I think the biggest problem with scaling is that people are always thinking there's someone out there that's having it easy compared to what they're doing, and whether this is actually true or not it sure doesn't help the game since nobody really understands how the scaling works. We certainly seen a lot of cryptic attempts to try to lower it in order to gain an edge. I propose a system where your personal scaling is just your personal PvE score. I'll assume for now that we're talking about two characters with identically strong roster simply because I really don't know what the game does to try to account for difference in roster strength. Let's take Bullseye 3, which is the highest level mission in The Hunt. We can simply have its scaling to be like:

Total PvE Points //// Level of Bullseye 3 enemies

0/100
10000/175
50000/250
90000/325
130000/395
170000/395

These points are designed assuming that the 170K progression mark is meant to be hard to reach but reachable. This means the closer you get to the 170K mark the harder it gets. The pace of the missions getting harder is exactly equal to how much progress you're making. It doesn't matter if you beat 10 missions worth 4K each or 40K missions worth 1 point each, your levels get scaled by 75 for both of these actions since the net result is that you gained 40K points. So there would be no need to worry about beating the enemy in a certain order or purposely taking damage or any weird tricks. Yes, there might be a very small advantage to wait until later (since your enemy starts lower before you beat the mission that's worth a ton of points), but since your scaling immediately increases in proportional to how much PvE points you got, it'd still be pretty hard to leapfrog.

This also allows you to eliminate community scaling. This is because if the missions turn out too easy, people would quickly rubberband each other and then everyone will get a ton of points for beating the missions, and then everyone's personal rating will be increased significantly due to having more PvE points, and you'd be closer to the progression rewards.

Comments

• This also curves the rewards away from the casual player. Remember that most of the people that play MPQ are casuals, and taking a large number of rewards away from them is not very feasible from a business standpoint. There is certainly a need to change community scaling, but that will be fixed once spidey and cmags get their long needed nerfs.
  • This also curves the rewards away from the casual player. Remember that most of the people that play MPQ are casuals, and taking a large number of rewards away from them is not very feasible from a business standpoint. There is certainly a need to change community scaling, but that will be fixed once spidey and cmags get their long needed nerfs.

Nobody has been getting anywhere close to the top progression rewards in the last few events. Things really can't possibly go much worse.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    This also curves the rewards away from the casual player. Remember that most of the people that play MPQ are casuals, and taking a large number of rewards away from them is not very feasible from a business standpoint. There is certainly a need to change community scaling, but that will be fixed once spidey and cmags get their long needed nerfs.

Nobody has been getting anywhere close to the top progression rewards in the last few events. Things really can't possibly go much worse.

Please, please don't tempt them icon_e_wink.gif
  • Just thought I'd share my experience. All it really comes down to is when you join the event. I joined the hunt on Friday, scored less than 30k points, and ended up in the top 20. I couldn't even clear all the missions because I have no torch, lazy Thor or Steve. I learned a valuable lesson that I thought I already knew....buffed characters are the difference between doing well in events and losing to level 269 hammer goons lol! That and getting into a casual bracket icon_e_wink.gif
  • Moving the topic to suggestions, leaving a shadow in place to shift traffic there.