Too many events? Community Burnout?

Just want to throw this out there that we might be running into too many events and because of that many of us could be in danger of burn out.

First of all the hunt is super brutal not even considering scaling. a total of 12 subs in 9 days with staggered start and end times that cause you to grind first thing in the morning and then late at night.

Now we have season 1, and I love the concept, PvP is more fun than PvE but we currently have 3 PvP events simultaneously with the 3 hunt subs and they all count toward the season rankings. that means there is no resting even if you already have the covers for the event.

All these events are meaningful, PvE counts toward the first falcon covers and the season counts toward Nick Fury and some pretty good prizes. Time management is quite the challenge in order to figure out how you place well in all these events simultaneously.

What are your thoughts? Is community burnout a concern?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm voting No.

We've had 4-6 events running simultaneously in the past, and usually followed shortly by periods of only a single event running. Both of these situations end up with a different group of people upset. Of course it very much a case of "you can't please all of the people, all of the time", but I think this is much better than the alternative. I play on phone, and I like that when I open MPQ I've got a few options available to me.
  • Mawtful wrote:
    I'm voting No.

We've had 4-6 events running simultaneously in the past, and usually followed shortly by periods of only a single event running. Both of these situations end up with a different group of people upset. Of course it very much a case of "you can't please all of the people, all of the time", but I think this is much better than the alternative. I play on phone, and I like that when I open MPQ I've got a few options available to me.

The issue is not the number of events though. It's looking at so many events and going "dammit, I can't play them because I'll jack up my MMR in PVE and PVP." Scaling really has to be adjusted to not punish the player who plays more, but still allows for casual players to get decent rewards. I'm in the same situation where I'm using my phone on public transportation and I have to wait until 1 hour before event ends to play.
  • I don't think having events all the time is the problem. It's guild competition and season rewards that I'd be worried about causing burnout.

Well, I suppose the combination of the two.
  • Impulse wrote:
    I don't think having events all the time is the problem. It's guild competition and season rewards that I'd be worried about causing burnout.

Well, I suppose the combination of the two.

thats more the point, that we don't have any rest events. before if you had the covers in PvP you could take it easy, but now since they all count toward season rewards, each one is critical and you also want to boost your score higher than you would for even an alliance competition.

and the point with PvE being a chore has to do with scaling mainly, if scaling wasnt an issue, the event would be a lot more fun.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doragon wrote:
    The issue is not the number of events though. It's looking at so many events and going "dammit, I can't play them because I'll jack up my MMR in PVE and PVP." Scaling really has to be adjusted to not punish the player who plays more, but still allows for casual players to get decent rewards. I'm in the same situation where I'm using my phone on public transportation and I have to wait until 1 hour before event ends to play.

The poll is actually about the number of events (as evidenced by the title, "Too many events?"). MMR isn't mentioned anywhere.

I haven't tanked since some time around Dec-Jan (actually, it was probably for the Rage 'n' Ruin tourney for winning Patch covers, whenever that was), so it feels as though my MMR has stabilised to the capabilities of my roster. It seems to me that a lot of people who are concerned about their MMR are the people who continually game their MMR so that they're always the big fish in a small pond rather than trying to compete against a comparatively equal opponent. Maybe there is something to that. It would certainly be interesting if rewards were based on visible MMR tiers, but that's a discussion for another place.

I've been cruising through The Hunt in the 20-50 bracket in my main and coming in, at worst, top 50 in the subs by playing each node once per refresh. Of course it very much a case of "you can't please all of the people, all of the time", but I think this is much better than the alternative. I made a push at the start of Hollowpoint Kiss early and have been sitting in top 10 so far - I might make a final push now and then shield. Maybe the recent events have just lined up better with my commute times.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    24 hours from now will be AWESOME!

Florida, Amazon and Doom all end at the same time.

Flood of rewards: good

Last minute frenzy trying to be best in all 3? Not so much.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moral wrote:

48 hours from now. Don't try to take away my Saturday. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Moral wrote:

thats not all,

true enough that Doom, Savage, and florida all end at the same time. but don't forget that Alaska ends that morning.
  • I'm having trouble devoting enough time for every event. I'm starting to consider to leave the game completely. I know about entering events late and stuff but still attaining a good rank (one 3* cover) in PvP and a decent rank/points in every PvE sub and maintaining those take too much time.
  • I'm just aiming for good enough at this point. I think I can keep primarily hitting essential nodes and keep to 20 (I'm ~#8 right now). But if I'm going to have to kill myself playing this for top 20, I'll just let the third cover go.

Luckily for for me for the PVP, I don't need any blue Mags covers.
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    I like having all the events the problem is that there are a lot of long term rewards tied up into all of them as well as the timing needing to be perfected. We all know with the state of rubber banding that if you can't play in the last two hours you are screwed although maybe less with death by scaling as it is getting harder and harder for the masses to grind points near the end so I think you could actually come top 20 by grinding a lead 4 hour out.

All that said I seem to still be pushing every event right now so I'm not burnt out yet but I can see that could be a problem down the road.
  • Seasick Pirate
    Seasick Pirate Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I would like to see the Season Events put into a new tab. I think this would alleviate the feeling of being overwhelmed seeing all the events all at once.
    PROLOGUE / SEASON 1 / FEATURED EVENTS
    This would make navigating all open events a little easier.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    I voted "passing phase." The current event schedule is rather intense, but once this glut of new covers passes (with the release of UberDaken), things should hopefully calm down a bit. Remember a a couple weeks ago, when there was only one event for a day or two, and people were getting fidgety? Pacing is an issue, but I think the current pace of "events you have to do if you want new covers" will fade pretty soon. Seasons will matter to alliances that are right at a major rewards cutoff (e.g. Top 100), but aside from that, I don't see them making too much of an impact.

Also, I"m looking forward to Episode 4.5, whenever that arrives.
    Moral wrote:

'Tis the s---storm before the calm.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    I would like to see the Season Events put into a new tab. I think this would alleviate the feeling of being overwhelmed seeing all the events all at once.
    PROLOGUE / SEASON 1 / FEATURED EVENTS
    This would make navigating all open events a little easier.
    I would welcome this feature: I don't like having to do some horizontal scrolling
  • I like the ridiculous number of subs at staggered times in The Hunt. It feels really fair. I get screwed on Noon weekday end times, but a lot of people get screwed on the midnight ones so this seems to screw everyone fairly (well not quite everyone, I understand both these odd times are kinda odd for a lot of Europeans). It places less emphasis on timing that one sub perfectly, and more on just playing the game. You have more margin for error; screw up the timing on one sub, but oh well there are still a bunch more to go.

It's far less stressful to build a lead and maintain it. If you lose the lead it really feels deserved as the guys behind you just played more and caught up. I like knowing that if I'm #5 in my bracket, I might fall to 15 or 20 instead of jumping back and forth from #5 to #200.

As for the "I HAVE to play this event, not because I like it but because I HAVE to to compete," yeah I agree. I don't even like PvE (this one has been OK structure-wise though the scaling is bonkers) and I'm playing it just because I know Falcon is gonna be relevant. I really liked what they did with BP where they handed out BP in the PvP event that ended at the same time as the PvE, so you can kinda pick and choose how you want to earn your covers.

The Seasons thing is a really cool addition. The stress comes from the fact that the alliance prize is just too good and it stresses people out. If it was like... Heroic 10 packs instead I think we'd all be like "Hell yeah packs for not doing anything" but with Nick Fury covers on the line we all feel obligated to compete with all we got. I'm personally not gonna change the way I play, but I now have this one extra little stress on my mind. This is gonna sound completely whack but I hope Season 2 has worse Top 100 alliance rewards. It would do a lot to remove any possible community burnout