Frequently Asked Gameplay Questions

Comments

• KevinMark wrote:
    What's the deal with secondary (more expensive) environmental abilities? I never used them. Even if I saved up my e-tiles while collecting them, I don't see myself using them even at the end of the game because there aren't enough generated till a game ends. I can see them possibly being used in longer matches with people having over 5k health characters. Is that the case? Maybe maxed 3 star char players are able to use secondary environmental abilities?
    A few times I've had multiplier tiles hit environment tiles multiple times per battle (not intentionally, it's not a good use IMO) and ended up with enough. It was always late in the battle, past the point of mattering, but it was fun seeing them. I eventually want to have used them all at least once just for bragging rights. Doomstadt Gambit might be my last one.
    I don't think having high level characters helps because they do more damage too, so battles don't really end up taking more time.
    gahudahu wrote:
    I am also pretty sure that, assuming all 3 characters have the same environment tiles value (ie 3 for most of the char.), the weakest in terms of level one will get the environment tiles.
    It's definitely not this. Hulk always matches enviro tiles for me and he's my highest level character.
  • Can someone give me a proper explanation of how the PvP shielding works? Last night when the Hollowpoint event hit the 23hr remaining mark I was ranked # 8 and I tossed a shield up since I knew i wouldn't have time to play for any length of time today. I loaded the game up this morning and I was down to rank #30.

I had assumed putting a shield up 1) protected you from being attacked and 2)locked you in place. I assume that I was wrong and it just protects you from being attacked?
  • Yarnosh wrote:
    Can someone give me a proper explanation of how the PvP shielding works? Last night when the Hollowpoint event hit the 23hr remaining mark I was ranked # 8 and I tossed a shield up since I knew i wouldn't have time to play for any length of time today. I loaded the game up this morning and I was down to rank #30.

I had assumed putting a shield up 1) protected you from being attacked and 2)locked you in place. I assume that I was wrong and it just protects you from being attacked?

This just saves you from losing any points. So your placed dropped because everyone above you have more points.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Yarnosh wrote:
    When you're shielded, you're taken out of matchmaking rotation, which means that only people who already queued you up in their nodes before you shielded can even fight you. You also lose zero points for all failed defenses, while still gaining points as usual for successful defenses.
  • In RPGs, tanks shield the team from harm, healers... heal, and mages zap multiple foes.
    In my current go-to team, lvl 77 2-stars Thor should be the tank, lvl 77 2-stars Storm should be the mage, and lvl 66 2-stars Black Widow should be the healer.
    Except it doesn't work like that, because every time I match black or purple tiles I expose OBW, and every time I match any other tile I expose Storm, and Thor never gets hit unless one of the girls dies or gets stunned.
    Is there any way I can "assign" tile colors to a character? I want Thor to get punched, he's got the health for a brawl! icon_e_smile.gif
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    sorcered wrote:
    Is there any way I can "assign" tile colors to a character? I want Thor to get punched, he's got the health for a brawl! icon_e_smile.gif
    Nope. OBW will match what she matches. CStorm will match what she matches. It's all based on each character's tile damage values. Getting your meat shields to tank colors for your supports/glass cannons, and timing color matches to anticipate enemy attacks, is part of the metagame.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    sorcered wrote:
    In RPGs, tanks shield the team from harm, healers... heal, and mages zap multiple foes.
    In my current go-to team, lvl 77 2-stars Thor should be the tank, lvl 77 2-stars Storm should be the mage, and lvl 66 2-stars Black Widow should be the healer.
    Except it doesn't work like that, because every time I match black or purple tiles I expose OBW, and every time I match any other tile I expose Storm, and Thor never gets hit unless one of the girls dies or gets stunned.

Level up your Thor to the point where it starts having a higher score for his 3 colors (Yellow, Red, Green), then he will tank those colors. Thor will never tank his weak colors though (Blue, Black, Purple). That's part of the game, when you are playing, whoever has the highest score for the 1st match will stay in front for the AI on it's next move. In case of a tie, the order you chose them in determines it, (center, right, left.)
  • Here's one. What determines what team my enemies fight when I'm on the defensive? Is it last characters used in event, or what?
  • Here's one. What determines what team my enemies fight when I'm on the defensive? Is it last characters used in event, or what?

Last characters you won a match with. Any changes you make to a character (levels and covers) will not show up on your defensive team until you win a match with them like that.
  • Pwuz_
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Here's one. What determines what team my enemies fight when I'm on the defensive? Is it last characters used in event, or what?

Last characters you won a match with. Any changes you make to a character (levels and covers) will not show up on your defensive team until you win a match with them like that.

Even if you win with a new team, if anyone has your previous team in their queue, they can still fight your previous team. Any time a retaliation shows up in their queue, it's always the team that beat them, so even if you fight and win with another 12 different teams, they still fight the team you beat them with.
  • QUESTION: I still don`t understand how my enemies actually gain and lose APs...! Sometimes they even seem to gain APs when I match tiles/attack, and sometimes they seem to lose APs when I do so. And the way they gain APs from their attacks looks sometimes rather random to me (though I`m sure it`s not).
    Is there any explanation somewhere?
  • Pwuz_ wrote:
    sorcered wrote:
    In RPGs, tanks shield the team from harm, healers... heal, and mages zap multiple foes.

Level up your Thor to the point where it starts having a higher score for his 3 colors (Yellow, Red, Green), then he will tank those colors. Thor will never tank his weak colors though (Blue, Black, Purple). That's part of the game, when you are playing, whoever has the highest score for the 1st match will stay in front for the AI on it's next move. In case of a tie, the order you chose them in determines it, (center, right, left.)

So if I have a level 85 cstorm and 85 OBW and I want OBW to tank blue, I would need her to be center or right spot with cstorm behind her?

Currently keeping cstorm at 84 since I didn't want to lose espionage in case I did it wrong.
  • Pwuz_
    Jabort wrote:

So if I have a level 85 cstorm and 85 OBW and I want OBW to tank blue, I would need her to be center or right spot with cstorm behind her?

Currently keeping cstorm at 84 since I didn't want to lose espionage in case I did it wrong.

Yes, because they tie in terms of their blue tile strength when maxed, whoever is set as the primary will take Blue. Center before Left, Left before Right.

There aren't many times that two characters will tie on dominant colors like that though. Usually one character will be stronger for a particular color, even if it is a dominant color. Like Wolverine & Thor; both are dominant Yellow, Red, Green; but Thor is matches Yellow & Red since his are 45 & 50 respectively against Wolverine's 39 & 45 for the same colors. Likewise Wolverine always matches Green since it's his most dominant match 50 vs Thor's 39 for Green. Those two are situations where you need to keep one unleveled if you wanted one to match everything to protect the other (i.e. if you wanted Wolverine to Tank Yellow, you would have to keep Thor at or below 75 & for level 74 & 74 keep Wolverine placed closer to the Center.)
  • What all can a co-commander do in Alliances? I am the Commander of an Alliance (I created it) and someone is asking me to promote them. So what all could he do if I did? Any chance of me promoting the person just for him to turn around and kick me out of Alliance or anything like that?

Thanks in advance.
  • Bloody Sky wrote:
    What all can a co-commander do in Alliances? I am the Commander of an Alliance (I created it) and someone is asking me to promote them. So what all could he do if I did? Any chance of me promoting the person just for him to turn around and kick me out of Alliance or anything like that?

Thanks in advance.
    They will have the same privileges with you. Thus, yes, I think they can kick you back but I'm not %100 sure. It's been a while I quit my commander status and my alliance.
  • Bloody Sky wrote:
    What all can a co-commander do in Alliances? I am the Commander of an Alliance (I created it) and someone is asking me to promote them. So what all could he do if I did? Any chance of me promoting the person just for him to turn around and kick me out of Alliance or anything like that?

Thanks in advance.
    KevinMark wrote:
    They will have the same privileges with you. Thus, yes, I think they can kick you back but I'm not %100 sure. It's been a while I quit my commander status and my alliance.

I don't think Commanders can be removed at the gamer level. I've read that if you want to kick out a Commander, the Alliance's creator needs to contact MPQ (using the envelope icon at the opening screen) and request a manual remove.

Just left an alliance this morning as non-participating Commanders weren't being removed and the dead weight was killing our standings. Maybe the creator was one of them.
  • I don't think Commanders can be removed at the gamer level. I've read that if you want to kick out a Commander, the Alliance's creator needs to contact MPQ (using the envelope icon at the opening screen) and request a manual remove.

Just left an alliance this morning as non-participating Commanders weren't being removed and the dead weight was killing our standings. Maybe the creator was one of them.
    Right. I just remembered after reading your post. We couldn't remove an inactive commander and waited for him to leave himself. Commanders can't kick other commanders unless they changed it recently.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor
    When you make 2 match 3s with the same tile swap, how is it decided who is left to defend at turn end?

Doesn't happen often, and it's probably a perception thing, but it "always" feels like when I have 1 character with severe low health and I want them to hide they seem to be the ones promoted to the front despite the other match 3 being for my higher health character.

I've not done the detective work - but assuming it would be either higher match damage or position in roster.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    The one you click/tap on determines the character that does the match.
    E.g. I run maxed Punisher, oBW and Hood. I do a double black/yellow match by clicking the black tile. The match goes to the Punisher despite the Hood having the same value for yellow that Punisher has for black.
    If I do a double black/env match by clicking on the black, I get 3 black and only 9 EAP, despite Punisher having a 4x EAP multiplier. But if I click on env when doing that match, I do receive 12 EAP (and non-maxed damage on black).
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor
    locked wrote:
    The one you click/tap on determines the character that does the match.
    E.g. I run maxed Punisher, oBW and Hood. I do a double black/yellow match by clicking the black tile. The match goes to the Punisher despite the Hood having the same value for yellow that Punisher has for black.
    If I do a double black/env match by clicking on the black, I get 3 black and only 9 EAP, despite Punisher having a 4x EAP multiplier. But if I click on env when doing that match, I do receive 12 EAP (and non-maxed damage on black).

Ahh that explains it and probably explains the subliminal defense damage issues I've been experiencing. Usually I tap on the colour that I really want the AP for, but that can belong to a character that's been in the firing line for longer. EG having CStorm Blue with a Daken Purple - I want the blue AP so would tap it blindly hoping Daken jumps in front to tank but he belligerently stays behind ... now need to break the habit.