Polarity's Guide on Going From 1* to 3* (Updated: 1/22/15)

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    mags1587 wrote:
    I think Ares could be another exception. He's buffed in a fair number of events (Divine Champions, various PvEs) and he hits really hard when buffed. I've been slowly leveling him up even though I'm solidly in 3* territory after some of my alliance-mates had good things to say about using him in the last PvE where he was buffed.

He's fine as a seed team killer / when buffed, but I would think that leveling another 3* guy to further develop your general roster is a better idea overall. You can consider leveling Ares for a buffed event, but since he's not too useful without the buff, I wouldn't recommend it unless you had like 3+ maxed 3*s already, or was just completely cover starved with 3*s.
  • I like this guide, though I may willfully ignore some of it and continue to level up 2*s that are fun-when-buffed.

It may slow down the 3* transition, but....fun....

also I seem to have poor impulse control so there is that too
  • Black Panther + Lazy Thor is indeed a potent combo, but won't the AI use BP's yellow before LT's?
  • Black Panther + Lazy Thor is indeed a potent combo, but won't the AI use BP's yellow before LT's?
    Yeah in one of the other threads there was a big discussion about LT and 0/5/5 BP being a better defensive team since it can neve screw up the colors. The AI won't always use BP first I don't think, but idk for sure.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Black Panther + Lazy Thor is indeed a potent combo, but won't the AI use BP's yellow before LT's?

Yeah, there is a chance of BP using yellow, but I think the main point of the two is that they're both really tanky, have game ending moves (LT green/BP black), and cover 5/6 of the colors.
    AethD wrote:
    Black Panther + Lazy Thor is indeed a potent combo, but won't the AI use BP's yellow before LT's?
    Yeah in one of the other threads there was a big discussion about LT and 0/5/5 BP being a better defensive team since it can neve screw up the colors. The AI won't always use BP first I don't think, but idk for sure.

I would agree that this is a better defensive team, but I'm generally against deliberately withholding covers from non 1* characters.
  • Yeah, I wasn't recommending it, it was just more of a theoretical better defensive team.
  • The 1* -> 2* transition overview is a little outdated with the tournament reward structure.

I want to discuss the point of having a focused roster vs a wide roster. I'm going to be basing my points around the following two points:
    1) The goal of building a 2* roster is to compete for Top 10s in events to get a good source of 3* covers
    2) The goal of building a 3* roster is to give you the extra oomph to push for that progression reward you previously couldn't reach, or start competing for #1 finishes

Asking myself what approach I should take when raising a roster should basically be me asking myself what the fastest route to the above two points is.

1* to 2* transition

For the 1* -> 2* transition, you recommend a core of 3x85 (or 2x85 + 69 if Daken is part of the core) and I'm wondering why that is. I would think that a 2x85 (or 85+69) is identical to a 3x85 team. 1* and 2* PvP battles are essentially 2v2s with a deadweight 3* acting as a bit of extra HP.

For example, let's say that Bob has a Ares/OBW core. Let's say that Sally has... I dunno say Ares/OBW/Wolverine core. In a Punisher tournament, Bob and Sally will have identical rosters. Pun/Ares/OBW. In fact, for the majority of tourneys this will be the case. If the goal is to get a competitive 2* team as quickly as possible, my approach would be to raise a core of 2, with the 3rd as kind of a side project. Focusing on 2 instead of 3 characters gets you to Point 1 the fastest. For the odd cases where the third would be useful, Bob will be at a disadvantage, but he'll manage to fill in gaps as they come. The point is that Bob will reach the state of having a competitive 2* team first.

Though Bob can become competitive quicker, there are some cases where Sally is advantaged. For example, in a Fearless Defenders tourney, Bob would be severely neutered and he'd have to bring in IM35 as his main man, whereas Sally could roll with Wolverine and just be fine with it. Bob will just have to live with rolling out a team of IM35/M Storm/OBW and take a hit for one tourney, but the point is that he'll have maxed OBW/Ares much faster and start winning 3x3* covers sooner.

I think that building a team of 2x85, with a third being invested in every here and there is the best way to transition into 2*. Then for the odd time where a PvP requires 3x85, just put M Storm as your 3rd. What happens is that by the time 2x85 gets maxed, Bob will hit a wall and not be able to spend ISO since 3*s will be useless for quite a while. THIS should be the opportunity Bob takes to raise a backup third for the odd tournament with restricted rosters.

2* to 3* transition

At this stage of the game, you are already competitive in tourneys. Top 10 finishes, while not quite easy, are pretty consistent. At this point, you just want that extra little oomph to either reach top 10 easier, or go for the 900s and beyond progression rewards. At this point, I would argue for having a varied roster. I'm not saying have everyone at L95, but if you had everyone at say L60, your PvPs will no longer be 2 hero teams. You'll actually have a 3rd member of your team contributing to your fights. The reason I think having a varied roster here is better than a focused 2x141 roster is for the following reasons:

1) Getting maxed covers is a slow process. Right now, personally, my best hero is soft capped at L102, so spending all that ISO to get a 3* to L102 does not significantly improve upon my 2x85 roster. So while I'm waiting on getting more covers to go beyond L102, I MAY AS WELL spend ISO to get a 3rd member of the team.

2) Going from 15 to 60, while significant, isn't THAT expensive. Getting a 3* to a point where they outclass 2*s costs a pretty penny and I think that a better win-now strategy is to consistently roll out 90/85/85 teams.

3) Being "stuck" at 2* does NOT slow down cover progression. You can get 3x3*s in PvPs with a 2* roster. Being in constant win-now mode and slowing your transition to 3x141 does NOT hinder cover acquisition at all

4) More bodies to tank in PvE

In summary

For a 1* -> 2* transition, I would go with a focused instead of varied strategy. Focusing on few heroes allows me to win 3x3*s in the shortest amount of time

For the 2* -> 3* transition, I'm already winning the covers that I want to win. Varied strategy does not slow you down at all. In fact, it is a better win-now move than the focused strategy

Keep in mind I'm a 2* player about to make the jump into 3*, so I haven't experienced this transition exactly. I'm in the middle of it
  • You have a lot of good points, but I have a feeling things are going to change again with the new PvP seasons and it'll start being harder to place top 10 consistently with 2* 85s.
    purinxa wrote:
    For the 1* -> 2* transition, you recommend a core of 3x85 (or 2x85 + 69 if Daken is part of the core) and I'm wondering why that is. I would think that a 2x85 (or 85+69) is identical to a 3x85 team. 1* and 2* PvP battles are essentially 2v2s with a deadweight 3* acting as a bit of extra HP.
    You're completely ignoring PvE where you often field 3 character teams.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    purinxa wrote:
    I agree with your reasoning, but disagree with your conclusion, because I think you're missing a critical element: character lockouts. Take the current PVP, for example, Hollowpoint Kiss: due to having a required GSBW, OBW is completely locked out. Thus, the person who focused on a OBW + Ares + AWolv team will be in a much better position for LThor covers than the person who only focused on OBW + Ares.

Also, with nearly nonstop PVEs, the right kind of roster diversity is important. For example, CStorm + MN Mags is a decent team in PVP (great offense, terrible defense), but an absolute monster in PVE. AWolv + Ares, in comparison, is not so good for PVE.
    purinxa wrote:
    2* to 3* transition

At this stage of the game, you are already competitive in tourneys. Top 10 finishes, while not quite easy, are pretty consistent. At this point, you just want that extra little oomph to either reach top 10 easier, or go for the 900s and beyond progression rewards. At this point, I would argue for having a varied roster. I'm not saying have everyone at L95, but if you had everyone at say L60, your PvPs will no longer be 2 hero teams. You'll actually have a 3rd member of your team contributing to your fights. The reason I think having a varied roster here is better than a focused 2x141 roster is for the following reasons:

1) Getting maxed covers is a slow process. Right now, personally, my best hero is soft capped at L102, so spending all that ISO to get a 3* to L102 does not significantly improve upon my 2x85 roster. So while I'm waiting on getting more covers to go beyond L102, I MAY AS WELL spend ISO to get a 3rd member of the team.

2) Going from 15 to 60, while significant, isn't THAT expensive. Getting a 3* to a point where they outclass 2*s costs a pretty penny and I think that a better win-now strategy is to consistently roll out 90/85/85 teams.
    My transition strategy was to rely completely on my L85 2*s and ignore all 3*s (aside from PVE buffed characters) until I got 10 covers in a worthwhile 3*. Once I got 10 covers in a good 3*, I pushed him directly from under-L30 to L102, and directly replace a L85 2* with him. I did this with LThor, CMags, and BP, and actually pushed Hulk straight from L25 to L130 for the recent Hulk PVP.

Aside from Gold characters, a L60 3* is about as powerful as a L50 2*, so I guess leveling a 3* to L60 has its uses if you only have two L85 2*s, but otherwise, a L60 3* won't see normal, unbuffed use.
  • NorthernPolarity
    purinxa wrote:
    1* to 2* transition

For example, let's say that Bob has a Ares/OBW core. Let's say that Sally has... I dunno say Ares/OBW/Wolverine core. In a Punisher tournament, Bob and Sally will have identical rosters. Pun/Ares/OBW. In fact, for the majority of tourneys this will be the case. If the goal is to get a competitive 2* team as quickly as possible, my approach would be to raise a core of 2, with the 3rd as kind of a side project. Focusing on 2 instead of 3 characters gets you to Point 1 the fastest. For the odd cases where the third would be useful, Bob will be at a disadvantage, but he'll manage to fill in gaps as they come. The point is that Bob will reach the state of having a competitive 2* team first.

Though Bob can become competitive quicker, there are some cases where Sally is advantaged. For example, in a Fearless Defenders tourney, Bob would be severely neutered and he'd have to bring in IM35 as his main man, whereas Sally could roll with Wolverine and just be fine with it. Bob will just have to live with rolling out a team of IM35/M Storm/OBW and take a hit for one tourney, but the point is that he'll have maxed OBW/Ares much faster and start winning 3x3* covers sooner.

I think that building a team of 2x85, with a third being invested in every here and there is the best way to transition into 2*. Then for the odd time where a PvP requires 3x85, just put M Storm as your 3rd. What happens is that by the time 2x85 gets maxed, Bob will hit a wall and not be able to spend ISO since 3*s will be useless for quite a while. THIS should be the opportunity Bob takes to raise a backup third for the odd tournament with restricted rosters.

I definitely agree that getting 2 2*s maxed out is better than distributing the iso evenly across 3 2*s if given the choice, due to the typical PvP scenario that you've described, and have updated that transition section of my guide to reflect that. Thanks for the comment! I disagree with being more hesitant on building up a 3rd 2* though: as HailMary/aethd said, the featured character being one of your core 2*s or PvE events would suggest that having that third character is still pretty useful.
    purinxa wrote:
    2* to 3* transition

3) Being "stuck" at 2* does NOT slow down cover progression. You can get 3x3*s in PvPs with a 2* roster. Being in constant win-now mode and slowing your transition to 3x141 does NOT hinder cover acquisition at all

4) More bodies to tank in PvE

I dunno about this. It costs you 30k iso to level a 2* character from 6 to 60, so assuming you had 3 2*s at 85, leveling the 3 other useful ones (ares/thor/obw/wolvie/mn mags/c. storm/daken are the 6 gotos) would cost you 90k iso, which is more than half of the iso needed to get a 3* to 141. I feel like once you get into this stage of the game, you are going to be more iso constrained than you are going to be cover constrained. From experience, you can make ~200k iso a month if you play every day in a hardcore fashion. This means that it takes an entire month of iso farming to max out a single character, 2 months to max out two, whereas you can probably get the covers to max out 2 3* guys in a month. As a result, I think its good to be frugal with your iso. The level 60 2*s are nice, but I don't see them really helping you at all in PvP. PvP is all about bringing your best 2/3 guys to the table. Putting up weaker guys are a huge liability on defense and will cost you a lot of time/hp spent on shields from attacks and such. You could argue that they're good for climbing up the first 400-500 points of the ladder, but you risk being exposed to other people seeing your weaker team after you switch to your stronger team, and you can solve that problem by just splitting up your playsessions so you grind up with your A team the first goaround, and go for placement the second time. I guess they do help you in PvE more, but I don't think that's worth delaying your first 3* by 90k iso. I guess I see leveling up more 2*s as winmore: sure it's nice, but I doubt that they'll make a serious impact on your roster since you'll just rely on your 3 2* 85s most of the time. Since iso is the limiting factor for players as they hit 3* territory, I think it makes more sense to ramp up your 3* team as fast as possible since it'll make winning that much easier and less expensive shield wise. I was able to stay at ~850 points without shielding at all with my 3*s: I doubt you could do the same with 2*s.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    What I took from his 2* to 3* argument is that he would prefer to battle in PvP with a consistent 60+/85/85 team than a 23/102/85 team for most tourneys and once in a blue moon (or LR) get to field 102/85/85. He is completely ignoring PvE however, where having the 100+ 3* char is going to help place in the top of your bracket with much less effort.

My current issue is whether to prioritize bringing LCap from 110 to 141 or Punisher from 81 to 115 first (or LThor from 92 to 115+ after Hollowpoint KIss)
  • NorthernPolarity
    mohio wrote:
    What I took from his 2* to 3* argument is that he would prefer to battle in PvP with a consistent 60+/85/85 team than a 23/102/85 team for most tourneys and once in a blue moon (or LR) get to field 102/85/85. He is completely ignoring PvE however, where having the 100+ 3* char is going to help place in the top of your bracket with much less effort.

My current issue is whether to prioritize bringing LCap from 110 to 141 or Punisher from 81 to 115 first (or LThor from 92 to 115+ after Hollowpoint KIss)

Ahh, I see now. I think the issue there is then that you're spending 25k iso to level up a 3* potentially every PvP tournament. While that might help you do better in the tournament, I think that you can get by with a 20/85/85 for a few weeks and just spend the iso on getting your 3* maxed out instead, as the 3* will allow you to consistently place better in every following tournament.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    From experience, you can make ~200k iso a month if you play every day in a hardcore fashion. This means that it takes an entire month of iso farming to max out a single character, 2 months to max out two, whereas you can probably get the covers to max out 2 3* guys in a month.

How is this possible? I've been playing for 3 months and with the exception of Lazy Cap I don't think I've ever seen enough covers to max a 3* available to win in a month.

Lazy Thor is well over a month old and the Hollow Point PVP is either the third or fourth opportunity to win his covers. Same goes for Panther, Psylocke, and all the other relatively new characters. Unless you're buying covers or getting extremely lucky with token pulls I don't think it's possible to cover max a 3* character in a month.
  • NorthernPolarity
    vudu3 wrote:
    From experience, you can make ~200k iso a month if you play every day in a hardcore fashion. This means that it takes an entire month of iso farming to max out a single character, 2 months to max out two, whereas you can probably get the covers to max out 2 3* guys in a month.

How is this possible? I've been playing for 3 months and with the exception of Lazy Cap I don't think I've ever seen enough covers to max a 3* available to win in a month.

Lazy Thor is well over a month old and the Hollow Point PVP is either the third or fourth opportunity to win his covers. Same goes for Panther, Psylocke, and all the other relatively new characters. Unless you're buying covers or getting extremely lucky with token pulls I don't think it's possible to cover max a 3* character in a month.

Earlier characters took less than a month I believe. Even so, Psylocke covers have been given out 5 times now, and BP/LT covers are at 4 sets a piece now. If you look at the characters in 2-3 month intervals, my statement still holds: you'll have 4-5 characters maxed out in 2 months, as opposed to 2 characters each month, so you should still be iso constrained as opposed to cover constrained.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Lazy Thor and Panther have been given out 3 times each, not 4. The current Hollow Point Kiss tourney is #4 for Lazy Thor. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6311

I'm not trying to be an argumentative bastard and I have nothing but respect for you and your guide but with few exceptions it doesn't seem like it's realistic to get enough covers to fully max a 3* in a month.
  • NorthernPolarity
    vudu3 wrote:
    Lazy Thor and Panther have been given out 3 times each, not 4. The current Hollow Point Kiss tourney is #4 for Lazy Thor. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6311

I'm not trying to be an argumentative bastard and I have nothing but respect for you and your guide but with few exceptions it doesn't seem like it's realistic to get enough covers to fully max a 3* in a month.

I don't really see you as one, bringing up valid points is always good. If you look at that thread you linked me, 4 sets of Psylocke/BP (creator missed a tournament that gave one, so 4 sets have been given out) covers have been given out in the span of a month (lazythor took 6 weeks). While this is technically 1 cover off from maxing out a 3*, I would say that the trend is consistent enough to say that you can almost max out a 3* within a month.
  • mohio wrote:

Yeah, this is my main argument. My thinking is as follows:

Assume that L100 3* is equivalent to L85 2*. Bringing a 3* to 102 basically replaces your 23/85/85 team with a 23/102/85 team. The 102 in the second team is roughly equivalent (a bit better in my experience) to the 85 in the first team. You've spent all that ISO to reach exactly where you were before. Your team isn't much better than before.

With my method, instead of 23/102/85, you'll consistently be rolling out 90/85/85 teams. If you believe that PvP Top 10s will get harder, I would think my method would be BETTER than waiting on 141s (or 115s even), as sending 90/85/85 teams is a better win now move than sending 23/102/85 teams.

I wrote my post backwards. I wrote about 3*s first and now I'm jumping back to 2*

My points ignore PvE mostly because I don't know how it works and it seems to depend more on how you've managed scaling than it does roster strength. The reason I ignored the third leg during the 2* transition is that in most cases, M Storm is a better 3rd than any 2* in PvE.

Roster lockouts (say Heroic events) is probably the time where I would start thinking of leveling that 3rd 2*. In the above example, I would concentrate on 2x85 Ares/OBW combo, then when the Heroic Venom or the Wolvie tournament started, I would have taken THAT opportunity to raise the 3rd 2*. There are many examples of how a 2x85 team would be screwed, and the 3x85 team can absorb the impact better (though even the best 3x85 teams can be screwed, see the Dark Avengers tourney). The GSBW and Fearless Defenders are good examples of how an Ares/OBW team can be gutted. "Deal with these oddballs as they come" is my answer to this, but I understand that running a team of IM35/MStorm/OBW is a kinda poor way of dealing with it. You'll take a hit during these tourneys. I'll concede that but I also believe that a 2x85 approach could win you all the other tournaments faster

On a closing note, I'd like to share something that strengthens your point and weakens my own. Cap is my 2nd fav Marvel character and as such I went against my own ideas and leveled him up to 102. According to my reasoning this is a complete waste; I'm basically trading a 2* character for a 3* that's basically a 2* in strength. And I spent so much ISO doing so. HOWEVER, today I got a Cap yellow from a Heroic token drop. This brings his cap up to 115, bringing him into "clearly better than 2*" territory. Right now, my win now move is to go with the focused approach and ignore everything I said about rolling out 90/85/85 teams
  • NorthernPolarity
    purinxa wrote:
    mohio wrote:

Yeah, this is my main argument. My thinking is as follows:

Assume that L100 3* is equivalent to L85 2*. Bringing a 3* to 102 basically replaces your 23/85/85 team with a 23/102/85 team. The 102 in the second team is roughly equivalent (a bit better in my experience) to the 85 in the first team. You've spent all that ISO to reach exactly where you were before. Your team isn't much better than before.

With my method, instead of 23/102/85, you'll consistently be rolling out 90/85/85 teams. If you believe that PvP Top 10s will get harder, I would think my method would be BETTER than waiting on 141s (or 115s even), as sending 90/85/85 teams is a better win now move than sending 23/102/85 teams.

I wrote my post backwards. I wrote about 3*s first and now I'm jumping back to 2*

My points ignore PvE mostly because I don't know how it works and it seems to depend more on how you've managed scaling than it does roster strength. The reason I ignored the third leg during the 2* transition is that in most cases, M Storm is a better 3rd than any 2* in PvE.

Roster lockouts (say Heroic events) is probably the time where I would start thinking of leveling that 3rd 2*. In the above example, I would concentrate on 2x85 Ares/OBW combo, then when the Heroic Venom or the Wolvie tournament started, I would have taken THAT opportunity to raise the 3rd 2*. There are many examples of how a 2x85 team would be screwed, and the 3x85 team can absorb the impact better (though even the best 3x85 teams can be screwed, see the Dark Avengers tourney). The GSBW and Fearless Defenders are good examples of how an Ares/OBW team can be gutted. "Deal with these oddballs as they come" is my answer to this, but I understand that running a team of IM35/MStorm/OBW is a kinda poor way of dealing with it. You'll take a hit during these tourneys. I'll concede that but I also believe that a 2x85 approach could win you all the other tournaments faster

On a closing note, I'd like to share something that strengthens your point and weakens my own. Cap is my 2nd fav Marvel character and as such I went against my own ideas and leveled him up to 102. According to my reasoning this is a complete waste; I'm basically trading a 2* character for a 3* that's basically a 2* in strength. And I spent so much ISO doing so. HOWEVER, today I got a Cap yellow from a Heroic token drop. This brings his cap up to 115, bringing him into "clearly better than 2*" territory. Right now, my win now move is to go with the focused approach and ignore everything I said about rolling out 90/85/85 teams

It's really just whether or not you want the short term advantage vs the long term advantage I think. If you roll a 60/85/85 team, that 60 is only going to be useful once every month or two, and then you have to keep on investing into more and more 60s. With the 20/100/85 approach, that 100 is going to be with you for all subsequent tournaments. Even though it's not as big of an advantage than having the 60, that incremental advantage adds up over time, so I think it's worth doing that for a character that you're going to use for all upcoming events.
  • Jezzail
    Jezzail Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    First of all , thank you to NorthernPolarity and all the other valuable contributions.

After lurking a bit and posting a timid thread for PvP support I think I wanna join the discussion.

I kind of don't get how you can focus on relevant covers to max out your dudes.
    I pulled Castle quite luckily in my early days, and for being a huge fan I pumped everything into him. Since the last One Man Army i have him maxed and he melts faces everywhere he goes. Yet I still have the problem of several 3*s only at 7 or 8 covers.
    My GF and me are playing sometimes hardcore and farming ungodly and founded an alliance and blabla.

Though I'm not put off by the idea of spending money ( working adult yaaay ) I hesitate to spend 7k+ to get my next valuable or complimenting 3* for my punpun as playbuddy.
    Being European I also fight the problem of having PvP end at 5 in the morning, which is not cool and though spending the HP for shields I still only place within the top 25.

I just do not see how I can hit the critical 10 covers for any of the 3*s ( I have every 3* with atleast one Ability and 4 with all 3 yet between 3 and 7 covers )
    And tbh Tokens are an awful way to win 3*s. I pulled more stuff from the Standard ones, then let's say the PvE or PvP awards. ( Btw. I pulled 17 Moonstone covers till now, 3/4 are the red ability, anyone the same problem?)

Teach me masters!
  • Hi OP,

Good guide, thanks for posting!