Is tanking still useful?

Options
NighteyesGrisu
NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
edited April 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
So with the Matchmaking changens a while back, I noticed that tanking didn't really affect my matches as much as it used to...I get super-weak teams up to a certain point, then a bit of mix of weak and mid-tier teams and then suddenly killer teams.

So the question is: With these changes, is tanking still useful and/or needed? I haven't tanked these LRs, even competed in one for the hell of it (yay two star wolvie :/), so I guess I'll find out soonish icon_e_wink.gif

Comments

• It still work to a certain extend. At least you get to start off against people with weak team as oppose to start off with people with ridiculous team. Starting off with weak team also mean less retaliation loss(also more chance of defensive win) and you get to higher point faster.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I came to this conclusion as well.. If i didnt tank i begin the pvp with mid level teams instead of the usual weak teams.. As i make my push the treshold where i encountered lvl 141 teams seemed to be around 600 pts instead of 800-900 pts when having managed my mmr.. Tanking has been defintely toned down but its still useful..
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yet no matter what I do to my me you seem to be in my bubble francky.
  • yesterday when I was around 700 in punisher it offered mostly 141 teams (skipping middle ground really), and after tanking some LR it mixed in much lower teams too. So it seem still having an effect. Though I don't skip too much so it may be just coincidence too.

Probably less point to overdo it, but with the **** LRs it's coming natural anyway.
  • Keep in mind that a lot of people(almost every one in the forum) know how to tank and do so quite often. With every one tanking we have a bunch of people with high lvl character in the low MMR. So it is not strange that you re getting match with highly level opponent even though you tank a lot because the other guy also tank a lot and you are both in the same MMR. The MMR is pretty mess up right now, it doesnt really mean anything. Though tanking still have a benefit as it lower you MMR and some time you get to face new player with 1* team.
  • i tanked my roster in shield training mid LR. I got a non max * team, then an almost max ** team, then it was back to normal high level guys. so killing 20 max level heroes gets you 2-3 easy matches. before it'd let me swing at ** teams all day.
  • franckynight
    Options
    Copps wrote:
    same here.. weird.. You give me sweats as i spent my isos to avoid you... but sometimes you are too "juicy" to pass up (no homo.. icon_e_biggrin.gif )..
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    Copps wrote:
    same here.. weird.. You give me sweats as i spent my isos to avoid you... but sometimes you are too "juicy" to pass up (no homo.. icon_e_biggrin.gif )..

Neither of you avoided me! (Though, I definitely avoided you). Last night's Hood was the only LR I actually played all 1.5 hours of. Managed to sneak into top 2 behind Copps but you guys didn't make it easy icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • franckynight
    Options
    Meto5000 wrote:
    Copps wrote:

Neither of you avoided me! (Though, I definitely avoided you). Last night's Hood was the only LR I actually played all 1.5 hours of. Managed to sneak into top 2 behind Copps but you guys didn't make it easy icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Generally, i try to avoid forum goers but sometimes i got only them in my queue.. so it turns into a retal war.. i know i'm in for some serious trouble when i enter the war room.. icon_lol.gif
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    Meto5000 wrote:
    Copps wrote:

Generally, i try to avoid forum goers but sometimes i got only them in my queue.. so it turns into a retal war.. i know i'm in for some serious trouble when i enter the war room.. icon_lol.gif

I'm still learning forum names but I try to do the same. It was funny, as I skipped all the crazy powered up 200+ teams I would get non max 85 teams in the mix. I think the group of us were in a weird MMR zone where there were a bunch of tankers and a bunch of normal players with corresponding MMRs. I hit this one guy with a 23 hood, non-maxxed OBW and 85 Thor at least 6-7 times during the event.

Sidenote: I used a slight variation of teams for the event, and was wondering what people thought was more reliable to generate skips. ~100 Hood, 141 Thor, 85 OBW or replace OBW with ~130 Cap. I noticed more attacks on the OBW team, but wasn't sure if it was just a fluke.
  • franckynight
    Options
    ^ i think its more a question of "are you worth the time ".. we all know we can be beat by anyone anyday.. but if you're 25-30 pts worthy i go for it, obw or not.. (except if i can find a more squishy team of course..)