Upcoming Change: Tournament Alliance Ranking

124»

Comments

• But in all seriousness, this helps nobody but 5DeadlySTDS. I'm with everyone in that there should be a better advantage to those that finish in the top 10. For regular top 10 alliances like ourselves,that would be better. Oh well, i guess we can start grinding like badasses now.....right Djangos????? No?????
    How do you know the name of our next branch?
    Did you spy on us?
    Actually we nealy named our 4th alliance 5deadlyESTEEDEES instead of 5dc
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    I find this change and the the majority of cross alliance "discussions" in response to it, very telling of the small scale circleJerk that the useful alliance rewards have become. This really changes nothing for the problems with alliances as a whole. Move along folks; nothing to see here.
  • davecazz wrote:
    I think we should have just opened the top bracket to 1-3 for 500 hp. without a big jump in rewards. there is not a huge incentive for playing hard.

although the 1100 point cover is still a good incentive provided you don't own it, you are much more likely grind that extra match if it means an extra 400 hp.

edit: although I feel like anything we say (from S.H.I.E.L.D) is not that credible considering we are the only ones that are losing out to this change.

You aren't losing, you are just sharing with whoever is number two. Does that extra 500 iso you used to get really mean anything? I think Shield has established itself as the best alliance, making everyone else ha e a shot a top prize shouldn't be considered a big "lose" in my mind davecazz, just an opinion.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    Something that really bothers me about the changed prize structure is that you're taking hp away from the overall pool: 1st and second would have gotten 500+100=600 hp total, but under this new structure we're getting 250+250=500hp. If this really was purely an alliance ranking change, the values should be bumped up to 300hp per alliance. I think the general playerbase is already getting a feeling of demiurge starting to nickle and dime us with changes to lr tokens and such, and implementing this change would further reinforce that notion, especially given how that extra hp given to the top alliances can't possibly affect the company's bottom line substantially.

Also, I think all this change would do is that instead of people complaining about shield winning everything, people are going to shift to complaining about shield and 5dv winning everything. I don't see why it couldn't be something like 1st and 2nd get 300hp, 3rd to 5th get 200hp, 5th to 40th get 100hp, and 41-100 get 50hp or something like that. This encourages more competition without affecting lower ranks.

As usual you are the voice of reason. It needs to be broken Down like prize structure, 2-5, 6-10, 11-25,26-50 or something along those lines, i agree there is a feel of being nickel and dimed in the way we have our toys slowly taken away. Don't say too much or they might raise the cost of boosts again...
  • I don't understand why you people don't consider DjangoUnbuffed competition. It breaks my heart. We have been around for 2 months and we have won more than zero but less than 2 events. That makes us great. Way better than those 5x5deadlydiseases. People should be scared of us, and not in the way normal people are scared of us. Yes we like to hide in bushes and frequent girls locker rooms but we can also play a great game. Maybe not this game, but we are unreal at Mario kart. One of these days, everyone will be too busy talking about those pesky SHIELD and 5x5deadlycontagions that we will sneak right up on you like a hungry pervert and win. Granted someone may be away on "holiday" but a wins a win.
    BE WARNED

Like I've tried to explain to you before, you only won when i was on vacation. When i play though, you don't win, and won't win, ever. you want to prove me wrong? Will your teenage horde into top 2 spots of current pve. Prove me wrong. Ill be here all week. Regardless, stop trying to make this thread about people not considering django as the beneficiary of this change and try to provide a useful suggestion instead.
  • We were being pushed by 5DV, so many of us pushed to 1100 and 1200.

Off topic but oh well:

some (and by some I mean one) of us pushed to 1400... coughreckless442cough

I was very impressed by this btw, well done.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    S.H.I.E.L.D wins tourneys because the alliance is full of people who all are individually driven to succeed and essentially have no lives. Since they are in no way motivated (or fueled) by the HP rewards given out for first place, I don't see how this change will have the desired effect. If giving out too much HP is perceived as a cause of imbalance, why not distribute it downwards and replace with top honor with something else?

I don't speak for my teammates, but I don't give a tinykitty about the reduction itself. However, it do think it's pretty awful that the reward structure for a competitive game has been modified SPECIFICALLY because a certain team is winning. It's not like we have our finger on the "easy" button. We win because we dedicate a LOT of time into gameplay. We have no advantage over anyone else. People will say that the HP we win fuels our ability to shield constantly, etc, but this is honestly untrue (as far as our group goes, at least). If all our HP was magically reduced to 0, we would find it elsewhere, adjust our strategy, or if necessary, buy it (not to give D3 any ideas).

Like Dave said, we welcome competition -- that's what makes the game fun! It would be boring if 5DV or Django wasn't always pushing us. There may be some kind of perception that we are some kind of dark brotherhood, scheming and handing out DKP and demerits for performance. The truth is far less exciting. Yes, we chat and discuss strategies, but there is no structure or established expectations to speak of. At times we win events without even discussing them simply because each person puts in 100% in for their own reasons. Aside from the occasional ritual sacrifice or blood offering, there is nothing that distinguishes our group from anyone else's.

Anyhow, this isn't a Jachdo anger post, It's just my 2 cents on the matter. If the change ends up helping other teams be more successful and makes folks happy, I'm good with it. I just hope Demiurge considers addressing issues like this through positive incentive rather than by penalizing success.
  • I don't care about a reduction, but the same prize for first and second rubs me the wrong way.

Isn't going to stop me from pushing for top spot, but there should be a distinction in rewards even if its minimal.

I think everyone agrees the homogenous reward for 3-50 should be addressed on priority. That's just laughably poor structure.

0fed89a3-60c9-4a0b-9a39-1ed0866d0b34_zpsfd6d6eb5.png?t=1398049355
  • I'll just throw in my $0.02 here too and agree with what most people have already said:

It sucks how their changes to balance the game are at a detriment to the community decreasing the HP given out in events. The rewards in this game have shrunk considerably lately with the loss of 50 HP at 400 or 500 tokens in tournaments, selling covers no longer generates HP, and now 3-star cards for alliance rewards are limited to the top 100 instead of 250.

I think if anything they should have more sub divisions without reducing the overall HP given out. There is no point from 100-51, and 51-20, what if there was 25 more HP at 75-51 that would increase the amount of playing.
  • If the goal is to encourage more competition at the top, two or three spots with different rewards would be great.

Regardless of the what the goal is, though, they took 2000 HP out of the prize pool. This is on the heels of the Hunt taking over a thousand Falcon covers out of the alliance prize pool.

Alliances were a huge income stream in this game. Now that the established alliances are at or approaching 20 members (and the paid expansions are stopping), the prizes are going to disappear?
  • I'm guessing that, now that they've forced everyone into alliances, they're going to scale back rewards. I'd also expect that they're about to start "letting" alliances go to 25 soon. Them they'll scale prizes back a bit, but argue that more covers are going out so it's actually better, even if the covers are going to the people that need them the least and will all be sold (I wouldn't be surprised if - of the 60 GSBW covers SHIELD is liable to get - less than 5 get actually used).

Then they'll scale prizes back again, but force alliance expansion again, and keep going with this until alliances don't have a size limit, and expansion slots are 5000 HP. It's hard, if not impossible, to come up with a "too cynical" explanation for the alliance system.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    I'm guessing that, now that they've forced everyone into alliances, they're going to scale back rewards. I'd also expect that they're about to start "letting" alliances go to 25 soon. Them they'll scale prizes back a bit, but argue that more covers are going out so it's actually better, even if the covers are going to the people that need them the least and will all be sold (I wouldn't be surprised if - of the 60 GSBW covers SHIELD is liable to get - less than 5 get actually used).

Then they'll scale prizes back again, but force alliance expansion again, and keep going with this until alliances don't have a size limit, and expansion slots are 5000 HP. It's hard, if not impossible, to come up with a "too cynical" explanation for the alliance system.

I think if they started putting extra covers in the top 1-5 slots you'd have more of a point about SHIELD selling off covers. The top alliances will always be more likely to sell off covers that aren't brand new. If there are more covers going to alliances and SHIELD is selling their's off, it's still better since SHIELD members would be getting them and selling them off anyways as individual awards.
    I get that you don't like alliances, but that's just your preference. As a member of a good alliance (not top tier, but not terrible) we've been able to get more covers for people who normally might not finish high enough to get 2 covers and help them grow.
    Alliances might be worse for you, but they're hardly worse for everyone playing as long as they rotate which colors are available as which type of prizes.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Pardon me if someone else has already said it and I missed it, but doensn't this change effectively 'steall' 100hp from the alliances (well, effectively 2000hp per event)

Before 1st + 2nd got 500+100 = 600
    Now they just get 500 together....

IMO it should have been 300hp for both or maybe 375/225 to still give an incentive for alliances to win