*** Sam Wilson (Falcon) *** (Updated)

Comments

• Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    That's a heavily defensive team. They swap Active/Passives, so it gets kind of nuts. Both purples drop Protect tiles. Yellow to buff protect tiles and heal. Blue to eliminate enemy tiles + stun.
  • Katai wrote:
    That's a heavily defensive team. They swap Active/Passives, so it gets kind of nuts. Both purples drop Protect tiles. Yellow to buff protect tiles and heal. Blue to eliminate enemy tiles + stun.

Toss in a 3rd tank to dish damage, like Thor or Hulk... Yikes.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    yeah but you just focus down the damage dealer, and then it's simply a matter of time
    Which is nice if you just wanna annoy opponents through stalling I guess
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, spidey/falcon will be a pretty annoying defense team, especially since they swap active/passives. I guess if you want a rainbow, you'd have to put them with punisher?

I still think that falcon will pair well with cmags. On offense, it'll let you use patch's green a lot earlier, if you have a purple lined up, that usually lets you get at least 1 of the enemy tiles, then you can use cmag's blue to eliminate another 2. Between getting rid of half of them, and the defense tiles, that should reduce the enemy's match damage back down to reasonable enough levels to let falcon's blue do it's thing.
  • Interesting. Just noticed he's got the exact some colors as Spidey. I wonder if then they would make a decent team
    imo no, as it destroys your off and def. Offense is too slow as your only form of damage becomes whomever is invariably a strike tile maker (as I dont see a point to falcon outside of pve without one). Def is too weak as all they have to do is ko the strike tile guy and its game over. Other than lr you don't care how fast the opponent wins and loses really as you are never going 1v1 with your opponent, so all that matters is the outcome and whether or not they attack you in the first place. 2 no damage characters on a team makes me WANT to attack you. As such, I think the team isn't very good.

That said, spidey/falcon/patch is worth running just because of the natural spidey/patch aid. I would rather run mags or a number if other characters over falcon on a spidey/patch team though.

I think obw might be better than falcon humorously. Her blue is likely more effective for pve, his purple is not very good vs. Hers being amazing, and the yellow and black compare favorably ...but on def hers will likely be FAR more annoying due to ap grabbing. Only thing I give falcon over obw is hp.

I won't use him. He isn't bad by Amy means, and in specific teams ehe will work great. He just doesn't give enough offense or def for me to think I'd rather use him over...say lazy thor or punisher. He has to be paired with a strike tile generator, and while I think every team should have one anyway for a number of reasons, I think that his blue and purple aren't good enough to warrant a slot considering he doesn't really COVER any colors. His purple is throw away, just an annoyance on def you likely will almost never see. His blue is much better for pve than anything else, but works rather slowly and should be easy to deal with on def and harder than I would like to make work efficiently on offense. The yellow is the reason to use him, but I'd like to have a character behind him with an active yellow ability (so not just patch's heal).

I think he works best with patches/mag (no black..), patch/l.thor (no black, or good blue/purp), punisher/mags (no yellow), punisher/l.thor (no good purple or blue). In short, I think he forces you to make a team that isn't actively (active moves vs passives) rainbow. Don't get me wrong, he can WORK in a lot of teams. He just isn't a top 5 (might hit #10) character from the current numbers I see.

Edit: I will add though, 1. We don't know how the moves lvl up. Some have been quite startling. 2. The blue affecting cd tiles is huge. It's just not huge for PvP until the game starts having relevant 3*** with countdown tiles.
  • optimiza
    optimiza Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Patch/Doom/Falcon seems kinda fun, right? Falcon pretty much always stays in the back, rainbow coverage, increasing demons/strikes by 40%? This sounds super obnoxious.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Katai wrote:
    I'm surprised Patch Wolverine didn't land anywhere on that list. His strike tiles are already obscenely strong, and having them boosted is a little more than nuts. Of course, Falcon removes the enemy strike tiles you created.

My suggested team would be Patch Wolverine, Falcon, and The Hood. The Hood is great utility (despite being glass) because of his AP steal. He can use his black to drop the countdown on Redwing, or he can use his Yellow to destroy the Redwing tile AND gather more AP.

While I think Patch will be okay, Falcon will end up tanking yellow, that's a problem since he's gonna be a little squishy. So while Patch has decent strike tiles, he will be opening up Falon or Hood in your example to yellow, so that is why I don't see them being all that great. If you use Thor who should tank yellow I believe then you might be alright.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Note that as long as Falcon is not fully leveled, it's not him but Patch who will match yellow while Falcon will stay in the back.

I often play Patch and I agree that Falcon is not optimal with Patch: Patch abilities are meant to be deadly without any buff.
    When I play Patch I try to use his green and red abilities at the end of the match to avoid suffering from the strike tiles I kindly gave to the enemy... But I'm sometimes forced to use 'berserker rage' or even 'best there is' early to get rid of a too dangerous enemy. If I had Falcon, he would immediatly suppress one of these strike tiles (given that I have enough blue of course). Seems maybe not a lot but it may be worth it?

Well, certainly sub-optimal with Patch, but I will definitely test these two when I'll can icon_razz.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Let me preface this is just going off assumption that yellow will just get higher percentages as you level up, that blue will affect more tiles at less AP needed, and maybe a lower CD, and that purple will be a mix of increase of tiles created as well as strength. Assuming this, 5/3/5 will probably be the best build and from the discussion thus far I think people need to reassess what Falcon really is.

Falcon for all intents and purposes is really just a booster, who will get rid of tiles occasionally and throw up a defensive wall. Falcon is NOT!!! going to win you games you would have normally lost, but he will allow you to win games faster and help you take less damage, essentially a spiderman without a stunlock icon_e_smile.gif

Unless you are solid PvE only with him, going 5 blue is probably not going to be the most effecient option just because it's so situational (I'm assuming blue will let you convert CD tiles as you level) Thus it leaves you with my assumed 5/3/5. So in order to max him out you want characters that will get the most out of his yellow, the big problem is that Falcon is probably going to be tanking yellow in some lineups when you go to match yellow. Right now the only guys that can tank for Falcon assuming they are in a 1 or 2 spot and Falcon in the 3 is BP, Captn, Spiderman, Hood, Invisible Woman. Of those 5, IW is more than likely not high enough for most, Spiderman is too much overlap putting all the damage dealing on your third guy. The Hood is too squishy, that basically leaves you with BP and Captain America. BP if you have no other way to create strike tiles is counter productive, since you will have to match yellow to get yellow to cast strike tiles, to then match more yellow to boost that yellow strike tile. That basically leaves you with Captain America as a yellow tanker, and that means you are going to have to really rely on your third guy to generate strike tiles.

Of those you have Patch, Punisher, Psylocke, Daken. Daken further deprives you of offense, Patch, really limits your colors, Psylocke will interfere with the AI using her stuff over Captain, which is where Punisher comes in. I said before, the best all around team for Falcon is probably a combination of Falcon/Punsiher/Cap. You'll get the benefit of uber shields off of Caps Blue, and if Falcon's CD timer stays at 4, you will be able to have Falcons' passive activate, throw a shield, have it come back, for enough blue, to active Falcon's blue again. Yellow matches will allow Cap to tank while beefing up Punisher's strike tiles that go everywhere. The only confilit is red and how the AI will probably use Punisher's Retribution before Cap's shield but that's not all bad. Plus you cover the rainbow in actives. Purple--Falcon, yellow, blue, red --Cap, green, black, red--Punisher
  • I suspect his yellow is likely to be way overpowered but since yellow basically has one good ability in the game (Thunder Strike), this is probably okay as it'd promote some more color diversity, and further since his yellow is passive this still provides no outlet for yellow, and lazy Thor, the character with the best yellow move, has no synergy with Falcon's yellow whatsoever, so I guess it actually works.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seems like the only thing leveling him up will effect is his purple and tile damage, so as long as you have someone with even tertiary color coverage, keeping him in back shouldn't be too difficult
  • Spoit wrote:
    It seems like the only thing leveling him up will effect is his purple and tile damage, so as long as you have someone with even tertiary color coverage, keeping him in back shouldn't be too difficult

He already has low hp though. He will be a joke kill on defense (for a 3***) if you don't. Honestly, I see very little reason (for PvP) to use falcon over, say, the new dakan once he drops. Dakan/falcon doesn't work. Way too many passives to be a good choice imo and requires you to either use thor to use the yellow and green you are collecting or use another strike tile maker to use the green but let the yellow be wasted. As such, in my head, dakan AMD falcon are competing for a roster spot. So the comparison is:

Yellow vs green:

Dakans green helps add damage faster, puts more tiles on the board, and doesn't require something to already be down. Plus gathering green is much better atm than gathering yellow. Falcon though can also help add damage to def tiles as a bonus.

Winner: dakan

Self heal vs high cost purple def:

here is nothing stopping you from match damaging falcon down whenever you want really. You can take him last as he can do nothing once he has nobody to help him deal damage, you can take him first as his hp is low, and you can take him 2nd whenever you build up a tiny nuke because again, low hp. The purple will likely never drop on def, and on offense it will not happen often except maybe in some pve high lvl enemy situations for the most part. Self heal is self heal. Stops dakan from being the first attack choice and requires nuking.

Winner: Dakan

Passive blue vs. ?

If dakan does get another ability, I can only imagine it will do damage. For PvP damage>falcon's blue most likely. If there isn't one then dakan simply becomes an easier to lvl AMD cheaper iso cost option allowing you to put iso elsewhere. No winner, but it is what it is.

So yea, dakan>falcon. Falcon needs to do Moe than just give me a strike tile buff to be worth it. We will see though. For all we know his moves get crazy as they lvl or have a huge % boost somewhere. I doubt it, but until then I reserve the right to completely change my mind lol.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I suspect his yellow is likely to be way overpowered

That's a shocker.
  • The way he's structured now, he's probably too weak to use for PvP on a regular basis. Maybe to help boost through fights and then switching to a stronger teammate to prevent retals. His low hps make him an easy target.

Now, for PvE, he has many benefits. Since he's less likely to die early, this will give you time to get all his abilities out.

For me, PvE is more about board control and burn. Rarely is it about damage mitigation. Those lvl 200+ goons are going to 1-shot sniper your hero anyways right through any shield tiles you put up.

In that instance, I can see how he helps by making your strike tiles stronger so you can kill faster, and by removing CD tiles.

For those reasons, under the assumptions Phaserhawk laid out, I would say 5/5/3 or 5/4/4 will be the way to go. It will depend on what level of blue is needed to remove CD tiles (I suspect 4 or 5). Purple is only going to reduce damage, which again, for me is the least important.
  • Is it just me or does his purple seem to work against his yellow?

Say for example your running the Punisher/Falcon/Cap suggested above. You play judgement and get your 3 strike tiles. So every yellow match from here on out is going to substantially increase your strike tile strength. However if at any point you use bird strike (assume at lvl 5 you get 17 protect tiles) you now have 20 tiles. So (assuming inspiration only ever affects 3 random tiles) your odds are now 15% of buffing a strike tile. Even if it at lvl 5 it goes to 5 random tiles its only 25%.

Thus the bird strike substantially reduced the effectiveness of inspiration. Unless Inspiration effects all tiles (I doubt this) or select tiles by lvl 5. Given that 5/5/3 will be a better build. As either you wont want to use his purple (to avoid unneccesarily reducing the chances of buffing strike or attack tiles) or you will want to run him with someone with a cheaper active purple.

In short hurry up and give Dr Doom a cheap purple ability so I can run a Dr.Doom/Falcon/Cap team and have full Falcon offensive coverage and decent defense.
  • Falcon might as well just say 'goes well with Punisher' on the character description. The yellow should extrapolate to 70% increase to 3 tiles at level 5, so that means after a Judgment is on the board, each yellow match you made is like having 70% of another Judgment in terms of strike tiles. This is incredibly powerful though it's currently okay because yellow has a serious lack of useful abilities outside of Thor so having another character where you've to actively worry about yellow is good for game balance. Of course he also has a usable purple, which will greatly help in the matchup against OBW. Not that his purple is that great, but being able to use up your purple AP makes it possible to actually deny them, because otherwise your purple AP is just Espionage fodder. I see no reason why you'd ever want to put additional special tiles of any kind once something like Judgment is on the board. Getting 70% more on your strike tiles is easily the best choice. Maybe occasionally you'd want a 70% boost to a Captain America or Spiderman's protect tile, but it'd be difficult to have all these characters in at the same time for PvP due to the fact almost always one guy is required in PvP.

I'm guessing his yellow will be nerfed by the time there are at least 4 3* with a decent yellow ability so that it is no longer necessary to put such a powerful ability on one color just to make up for its total lack of use. Prior to lazy Thor, you pretty much always want your opponent to match yellow because it's basically useless and that's just not good for balance.
  • I thought Captain Americas buddy was falcon... This guy looks like bagman
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Falcon might as well just say 'goes well with Punisher' on the character description. The yellow should extrapolate to 70% increase to 3 tiles at level 5, so that means after a Judgment is on the board, each yellow match you made is like having 70% of another Judgment in terms of strike tiles. This is incredibly powerful though it's currently okay because yellow has a serious lack of useful abilities outside of Thor so having another character where you've to actively worry about yellow is good for game balance. Of course he also has a usable purple, which will greatly help in the matchup against OBW. Not that his purple is that great, but being able to use up your purple AP makes it possible to actually deny them, because otherwise your purple AP is just Espionage fodder. I see no reason why you'd ever want to put additional special tiles of any kind once something like Judgment is on the board. Getting 70% more on your strike tiles is easily the best choice. Maybe occasionally you'd want a 70% boost to a Captain America or Spiderman's protect tile, but it'd be difficult to have all these characters in at the same time for PvP due to the fact almost always one guy is required in PvP.

I'm guessing his yellow will be nerfed by the time there are at least 4 3* with a decent yellow ability so that it is no longer necessary to put such a powerful ability on one color just to make up for its total lack of use. Prior to lazy Thor, you pretty much always want your opponent to match yellow because it's basically useless and that's just not good for balance.

Punisher, Gold Thor and Falcon is probably the best combination for Falcon, great color coverage, powerful strike tiles and a really good yellow ability. But I doubt I am going to use Falcon in the future. We have a lot of 3* now, and is very difficult to stand out between all of them...
  • Phaserhawk
    Polares wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Falcon might as well just say 'goes well with Punisher' on the character description. The yellow should extrapolate to 70% increase to 3 tiles at level 5, so that means after a Judgment is on the board, each yellow match you made is like having 70% of another Judgment in terms of strike tiles. This is incredibly powerful though it's currently okay because yellow has a serious lack of useful abilities outside of Thor so having another character where you've to actively worry about yellow is good for game balance. Of course he also has a usable purple, which will greatly help in the matchup against OBW. Not that his purple is that great, but being able to use up your purple AP makes it possible to actually deny them, because otherwise your purple AP is just Espionage fodder. I see no reason why you'd ever want to put additional special tiles of any kind once something like Judgment is on the board. Getting 70% more on your strike tiles is easily the best choice. Maybe occasionally you'd want a 70% boost to a Captain America or Spiderman's protect tile, but it'd be difficult to have all these characters in at the same time for PvP due to the fact almost always one guy is required in PvP.

Punisher, Gold Thor and Falcon is probably the best combination for Falcon, great color coverage, powerful strike tiles and a really good yellow ability. But I doubt I am going to use Falcon in the future. We have a lot of 3* now, and is very difficult to stand out between all of them...

Thor is counterproductive, you'll match yellow, get get green to cast? Why would you waste CoTS to cast Judgement? I don't see that combo being very good. Again assuming we all kinda know what Falcon will end up as. Punisher/Cap/Falcon are the most all around best usage. You have the rainbow, you have a tank for yellow to protect Falcon, he will only be exposed on the purple, and in this combo matching yellow will boost Punishers strike tiles, attack tiles and captains' defensive tiles all the things you want. This is easily and without question the best team to utilize Falcon with
  • Phaserhawk
    Polares wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

Thor is counterproductive, you'll match yellow, get get green to cast? Why would you waste CoTS to cast Judgement? I don't see that combo being very good. Again assuming we all kinda know what Falcon will end up as. Punisher/Cap/Falcon are the most all around best usage. You have the rainbow, you have a tank for yellow to protect Falcon, he will only be exposed on the purple, and in this combo matching yellow will boost Punishers strike tiles, attack tiles and captains' defensive tiles all the things you want. This is easily and without question the best team to utilize Falcon with