*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• So my Magneto is now 5/1/4 and I'm not sure if I should go 5/4/4 or 5/3/5.

How often do people get more than 9 swaps on the purple? On the other hand, the only time I use red is by accident. 3ap for red would make it useable with 1 match.

5/4/4 makes a lot of sense. I currently have 3/1/4, but getting red covers has been tough. The lone red I have was actually my first cover for him. The others came from lightning rounds. I may go 5/3/5 just because the purple is so much easier to get.
  • Misguided wrote:
    So my Magneto is now 5/1/4 and I'm not sure if I should go 5/4/4 or 5/3/5.

How often do people get more than 9 swaps on the purple? On the other hand, the only time I use red is by accident. 3ap for red would make it useable with 1 match.

5/4/4 makes a lot of sense. I currently have 3/1/4, but getting red covers has been tough. The lone red I have was actually my first cover for him. The others came from lightning rounds. I may go 5/3/5 just because the purple is so much easier to get.

I haven't been able to get a purple drop yet... which seems to be the engine that makes this guy so deadly.
  • rabscutle wrote:
    I haven't been able to get a purple drop yet... which seems to be the engine that makes this guy so deadly.

As mentioned earlier, all the purple does is change the positions of blue and red tiles that are already on the board. It doesn't generate any new AP icon_e_sad.gif

It's pretty clear that this guy's blue is hands-down his best ability when you bring it to 5. The only ability in the game right now that can more or less replenish its own AP cost pretty much to full, repeatedly. Probably great for the crazy Bullseye players looking to stack crit tiles too.

There doesn't quiiiite seem to be a clear-cut answer on maxing his red vs. his purple yet, but I'm learning towards purple. If you have a better red damage dealer (Ragnarok), then Magneto's red ability just isn't worth it. If you don't and want to use Magnus as your primary damage dealer, it may make sense to max red for Magnus so he can do Ragnarok-style spammy 2AP attacks.

Otherwise, his purple does great damage when maxed but requires you to have tons of blue and red on the board to use it to its potential. This is hard to do because most other players will be snatching up as much red as possible, and also because Magnus himself uses a bunch of blue.

I'd imagine you'd want to team him up with characters that have good board clear (Ragnarok green, Grey Widow green, etc.), so you can keep refreshing the board with new tiles to keep new red & blue tiles spawning.
  • someguy wrote:

Otherwise, his purple does great damage when maxed but requires you to have tons of blue and red on the board to use it to its potential. This is hard to do because most other players will be snatching up as much red as possible, and also because Magnus himself uses a bunch of blue.

You really don't need that much blue and red on the board, he does 636 damage per swap at max level, so even if there are only 5 of each colour (what happens most of the time i would say) thats already over 3100 damage. I would always go at least 4 points in purple skill and I would also say that it's his main damage ability despite the spammability of red
  • Mommson wrote:
    You really don't need that much blue and red on the board, he does 636 damage per swap at max level, so even if there are only 5 of each colour (what happens most of the time i would say) thats already over 3100 damage. I would always go at least 4 points in purple skill and I would also say that it's his main damage ability despite the spammability of red

Fair enough. 5/3/5 or 5/4/4, then?

Seems like the red is kinda pointless if you don't go all the way to 5...
  • someguy wrote:
    Mommson wrote:

You could go 5/4/4 I mean, 3 AP for his red is one match...But not sure myself and currently not in the situation to decide this, classic magneto and I don't have much luck ^^ after a feeling i would go 5/3/5 and use the red on someone else
  • someguy wrote:
    Mommson wrote:

Using a 5 red modern storm, ever so often using her red, 1 ap before a Thor red, gets me a kill and saves me a ton of lost hp from a tile or something. 5/4/4 and 5/3/5 all close enough in use that I'd go with whatever you get first. If you are buying them though, I'd lean towards 5/4/4 as the damage of the purple is not going to really be affected in most instances since you'll be eating blue and red often and there really are no covers that swap things to red/blue to "combo" with it. The extra 1 ap on red mean you can mix the board twice at the start of a stockpiled match, which might be enough to grab the necessary purples, or have a similar situation to the storm one mentioned. 5 blue is a must, imo, but I'd be willing to hear arguments for a 4/5/4 with certain character set-ups.

Now I just wish the magneto lightning rounds would appear at an hour I was available lol.
  • I'm going for 5/4/4 then.

I've had 3 in purple for over a week and now that I think about it, I usually get between 4 and 6 swaps (out of 7 possible) so I'm guessing 9 swaps max will be enough.

Blue is really deadly with buffed characters because of the crit buff. Those buffed crit matches are usually around 2-3k but I've gotten as high as 12k damage. One thing that I've noticed is that crit tiles work in T and L matches to create new crit tiles. With blue at 5 AP I can usually quickly raise it even higher as you often get 6/7 tile matches and get extras from clearing rows.

I have a C. Magneto/Rag/G. Widow team and it works great. Like I said, the only time I use red is if I click on Magneto instead of Rag by mistake. Where I think the 3AP red will help is if Rag goes down or can't be used in a match. I've had a situation recently where I lost Rag due to a huge cascade and had one turn to take off 5k health with Magneto or lose. It was fun because blue is very versatile and red helps loosen up a bad board.
  • Bainee
    Bainee Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    So my Magneto is now 5/1/4 and I'm not sure if I should go 5/4/4 or 5/3/5.

I have gotten quite a few 10+ swaps on his purple. If there are enough red on the board you can create your own blue tiles to add to the damage. My highest is just over 21k damage in the lightning rounds. It one shotted the opponents MAX lvl Rag.

I went 5/3/5 with him as I figure I will pair him with Rag and his Red does more damage for the same cost.
  • While we're talking about how the purple skill has variable damage, lets not forget his red skill is in the same boat - its damage is based on how many Red/Blue/Yellow tiles are on the board. The more Red/Blue tiles are on the board, the higher the chance it will do higher damage - but this isn't even guaranteed. The skill could very hit all the non R/B/Y tiles, or even environmental tiles.

If you're just considering damage, 5/3/5 probably makes better sense, even without figuring in Rag.

I think what people really should be considering is that you often want to contest reds to prevent the AI from getting to them, and having a good outlet for your reds helps maximize offence while you're essentially matching defensively. Of course you can throw this out if you're pairing him with Rag, but there are probably times you might be forced to run him without Rag. Although based on the current crop of tourneys, this isn't likely.
  • Also consider that 9 swap Translocation practically 1-shots everyone except Rags, IM40, and boosted characters.
  • I just ran a 3/1/5 Magneto, level 82 in a Lightning Round, and with the buff and a friendly board he did 13095 in one shot to a Ragnarok.

And he has plenty of room left for leveling.

So there's that.
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    I have a level 5/3/5 Mag and in these buffed lightning rounds I just collect purple and blue. The blue spams crit tiles and if necessary balances against red for the max purple ability. When it goes off I take down 20k+ Rags like they're Lvl 1 Widows and it goes off nearly every round I play. The AI generally doesn't compete for purple for some reason unless it is a clear four match. I usually have enough to fire the MT off by turn 6 latest and more often than not turn 4.Trust me you have a Rag problem Mag is the answer.
  • I'm at 5/3/4 right now with a purple in my collection pending. My question is how often does the difference between lv 4 and lv5 come into play? Does the ability require 13 red AND 13 blue on the board to fully go off?
  • Twanbon wrote:
    I'm at 5/3/4 right now with a purple in my collection pending. My question is how often does the difference between lv 4 and lv5 come into play? Does the ability require 13 red AND 13 blue on the board to fully go off?

Yes, to get more than 9 swaps, you would have to have 10+ red and 10+ blue.
  • Twanbon wrote:
    I'm at 5/3/4 right now with a purple in my collection pending. My question is how often does the difference between lv 4 and lv5 come into play? Does the ability require 13 red AND 13 blue on the board to fully go off?

You can only swap as many times as the lowest number of tiles of red and blue. So 5 red and 15 blue = 5 swaps
  • Don't think this is mentioned anywhere, but the damage per swap increases from skill level 4 to 5. I just put my last point in Purple and it went from 296 per swap to like 342 per swap.
  • Twanbon wrote:
    Don't think this is mentioned anywhere, but the damage per swap increases from skill level 4 to 5. I just put my last point in Purple and it went from 296 per swap to like 342 per swap.

I think there are quite a few skills that have undocumented damage increases like that.
  • Twanbon wrote:

You can only swap as many times as the lowest number of tiles of red and blue. So 5 red and 15 blue = 5 swaps

Ive had it swap like 15 reds with 2 blue before
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    Twanbon wrote:

Ive had it swap like 15 reds with 2 blue before

I thought it was limited to the lowest common denominator as well, but I only have it at level 3 right now so I'll have to try to test. If you had only 1 red and 1 blue would level 5 skill swap them 13 times? Or is it limited to the highest common denominator? Either way, makes a 3 red, 5 blue, 5 purple by far the most powerful build in my book.