Polarity's Guide on Going From 1* to 3* (Updated: 1/22/15)

Comments

• over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    The Hood section:
    so he's a pretty terrible transition character in that he is very weak until he is near max level and has maxed out yellow/black covers.
    Didn't you mean blue, not black?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    locked wrote:
    The Hood section:
    so he's a pretty terrible transition character in that he is very weak until he is near max level and has maxed out yellow/black covers.
    Didn't you mean blue, not black?

Whoops, nice catch!
  • NorthernPolarity
    Added tip in HP spending guide about how PvE/PvP event tokens are a thing.
  • NorthernPolarity
    edited April 2014
    Removed the "Disable the tutorial, using the gears icon on the splash screen, and you can save 50HP that you would otherwise be forced to spend on a Hawkeye or BW cover" tip due to the R51 update. Added some (incomplete) 3* team compositions to the 3* section.
  • over_clocked
    All I see is
    Team Compositions:
    Captain America (Steve Rogers) + The Hood -

[Patch or Punisher] + C. Mags -

LazyThor + Black Panther -
  • NorthernPolarity
    locked wrote:
    All I see is
    Team Compositions:
    Captain America (Steve Rogers) + The Hood -

[Patch or Punisher] + C. Mags -

LazyThor + Black Panther -

Currently incomplete: i'll be working on this when I have random free time.
  • over_clocked
    Oh, sorry, I was looking forward to reading some more of the awesome analysis and thought you forgot to paste it or something.
  • Looking forward to your analysis on Human Torch (and the upcoming Falcon) too!
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Love this guide.

If you have the time--and inclination--can you expand on Lightning Rounds? Is there a general strategy for them that's different than a normal PVP tourney? Why do you say some are more competitive than others--don't they all give the same rewards? I don't understand why these events are such a good way to earn specific covers--if you place high enough you just get a random token or three and are probably more likely to get a black Hood than a red cMags. You also don't mention the Hero Lightning Rounds at all--are there fundamentally any different than the Villain ones? I wouldn't think so other than you're probably even more likely to get a less than ideal cover simply because there are more Heroes than Villains and one generally has more opportunities to collect Hero covers.
  • vudu3 wrote:
    Love this guide.

If you have the time--and inclination--can you expand on Lightning Rounds? Is there a general strategy for them that's different than a normal PVP tourney? Why do you say some are more competitive than others--don't they all give the same rewards? I don't understand why these events are such a good way to earn specific covers--if you place high enough you just get a random token or three and are probably more likely to get a black Hood than a red cMags. You also don't mention the Hero Lightning Rounds at all--are there fundamentally any different than the Villain ones? I wouldn't think so other than you're probably even more likely to get a less than ideal cover simply because there are more Heroes than Villains and one generally has more opportunities to collect Hero covers.

At the point of time the guide was created, Villain LRs awarded their respective covers for placing in the Top 2/8/25 (e.g. if I get Top 2 in a C.Mag LR, I'd be getting one each of his covers rather than 3 Diabolical Tokens). Thus, most people avoided the Loki and Ragnarok rounds because it wasn't worth the time investment to get covers which you already had.

Also, the buff to the Villains was at a whooping 100%, which has now since dropped to 50%.

Currently, they're the same due to their rewards, just that the roster is different. You are right though, there are a total of 12 covers for featured Villains and a total of 18 covers for featured Heroes.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Added HT, 3* team composition sections.

Took out the following tip because of the token change: "PvE/PvP event tokens can also be very lucrative for people making the 1->2* transition. If the 2* characters that you can get from the token are mostly/all high tier characters (for instance, OBW/Thor/Wolvie/C. Storm, which was offered in an actual pack), then spending 200HP on the daily deal for a single token repeatedly can be a really good way of rounding out your 2* roster. Keep in mind that you want to be happy with all of the possibilities, so don't do this if you have a good chance at getting a cover that you can't use. Note that PvE tokens are generally more likely to do this, as PvP tokens will most likely include all possible 2* characters if the tournament is for a single buffed hero. Players making the transition in particular could probably use any of the covers, and so they would gain the most out of buying the tokens."

Added LR changes to the todo list.
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    The frequent question: who do I level next?
    When you've made the 3* transition-- are there 2* characters that are still worth getting up to 85 vs. getting several 3* characters to their soft-cap, or level 100, or maxing?

Personally I'm thinking I've got a 100 punisher, a 56 2* Thor, 45 CsTorm, and fully covered 6 MNMag. My team is usually 141 Patch and rotation of featured characters, 86 Spidey,85 OBW.

Anyway, suggest that mid/end-game feature some thoughts on this.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Wobby wrote:
    The frequent question: who do I level next?
    When you've made the 3* transition-- are there 2* characters that are still worth getting up to 85 vs. getting several 3* characters to their soft-cap, or level 100, or maxing?

Personally I'm thinking I've got a 100 punisher, a 56 2* Thor, 45 CsTorm, and fully covered 6 MNMag. My team is usually 141 Patch and rotation of featured characters, 86 Spidey,85 OBW.

Anyway, suggest that mid/end-game feature some thoughts on this.

Added some lightning round tips, added tip for this question, updated the 2* vs 3* placement award thing.

Thanks for the feedback, that was a common question that i've been getting but forgot to update guide with:

Now that I have a core team of 3 2* characters, are there any other 2* characters that are worth leveling up to max level?
    Generally no. Once you transition into 3* territory, you are never going to use your 2*s again outside of them being required/buffed in events, so I think it's more important to save your iso (you need 170k to get a 3* to max) for the 3*s because anything a 2* can do, a 3* can generally do better. One exception to this rule is OBW. Although she isn't the best in defense due to her really low hp, the fact that she can heal (which no one except spiderman can do, which you wont get until much later) and can steal hp (which doesn't depend on level) means that she'll last well into your 2->3* transition, so you should consider leveling her up if you have the covers for it.
  • You mean steal AP. HP Steal would be brutal icon_razz.gif
  • NorthernPolarity
    purinxa wrote:
    You mean steal AP. HP Steal would be brutal icon_razz.gif

Ahh, nice catch.
  • Thanks for creating this guide Polarity, its helped me out with creating my roster, and I will help with improving the guide whenever I can.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Now that I have a core team of 3 2* characters, are there any other 2* characters that are worth leveling up to max level?
    Generally no. Once you transition into 3* territory, you are never going to use your 2*s again outside of them being required/buffed in events, so I think it's more important to save your iso (you need 170k to get a 3* to max) for the 3*s because anything a 2* can do, a 3* can generally do better. One exception to this rule is OBW. Although she isn't the best in defense due to her really low hp, the fact that she can heal (which no one except spiderman can do, which you wont get until much later) and can steal hp (which doesn't depend on level) means that she'll last well into your 2->3* transition, so you should consider leveling her up if you have the covers for it.

This makes me sad. icon_e_sad.gif I have a fully covered Ares sitting at level 6--his only crime was being late to the party.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think Ares could be another exception. He's buffed in a fair number of events (Divine Champions, various PvEs) and he hits really hard when buffed. I've been slowly leveling him up even though I'm solidly in 3* territory after some of my alliance-mates had good things to say about using him in the last PvE where he was buffed.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    vudu3 wrote:
    This makes me sad. icon_e_sad.gif I have a fully covered Ares sitting at level 6--his only crime was being late to the party.
    Heh, same here. I'm gonna put some Iso into him when I have a solid L141 lineup, though. He's high-damage, and he's fun to play. Also, I think his animations are second only to Torch in terms of prettiness.
  • over_clocked
    I had 4x maxed out 2*s prior to obtaining the final Ares cover (oBW, Wolvie, Thor and cStorm), I still maxed him. Partly because he is very good (3 active abilities, and the best one in a dump colour, natch) and comboes ridiculously well with Hood/oBW, partly because he was buffed at the time, partly because there was an event incoming where he would be needed (Dark Avengers only tournament).