*** Sam Wilson (Falcon) *** (Updated)

Comments

• Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Spidey's passive purple to create protect tiles with Falcon active to create protect tiles.... sounds like a stay away defensive roster in the making.
    They both have pretty low HP though
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Spoit wrote:
    Spidey's passive purple to create protect tiles with Falcon active to create protect tiles.... sounds like a stay away defensive roster in the making.
    Could use Hulk or Punisher to complete the color rainbow
  • Spoit wrote:
    Spidey doesn't have low HP, 5800 is pretty much standard HP. Nitpick over.

Anyway, I think I'll probably want to go with a 5/5/3 build. While it's nice to have an active purple skill, I just don't see his purple being very useful. You put down a lot of fairly weak protect tiles, which will imo hurt the usefulness of his yellow. I'd rather improve 3 of Pun's strike tiles than 3 mediocre defense tiles, that are now only slightly less mediocre.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    What do people think of this one - Falcon/LazyThor/Psylocke.

To begin, you have rainbow actives. Psylocke produces single, high-value strike *and* attack tiles for Falcon's yellow. The best bit, however, is that her blue becomes semi-useful. With a rainbow team, it doesn't matter what AP the tile steals, you can find a use for it. In the unlikely event that you accumulate much more blue AP than you need for Falcon over the course of a match, you have a useful outlet. Thor, of course, just sits and spams his yellow and green happily. As an added bonus, he can even tank red for Psylocke.

I would probably go 5/3/5 Falcon for this build, but if I ever max Falcon, I'm going to open a another slot for a second copy of him to go 3/5/5. A PvP Falcon and a PvE Falcon.

There's not much reason to use a character simply for the sake of using the character.

Lazy Thor is immensely powerful by himself and really doesn't benefit from any kind of special tiles since all his moves already do crazy damage, making contribution from strike tiles relatively little. The Punisher is still strictly stronger than Psylocke even if Falcon very slightly favors Psylocke. However it won't really matter until you have 15 red AP for 2 strike tiles. 1 strike tile + 1 attack tile is no better than just boosting 3 of Punisher's strike tiles since The Punisher starts out with more powerful strike tiles.

I don't really see Falcon fitting a general all purpose team. About the best you can do is pair him up with The Punisher and it might still be lacking somewhere. However he will be strong against certain characters since he can remove special tiles, so he might make sense to sub in when you fight someone like The Punisher or Captain America.

I dunno, LazyThor/Falcon/LazyDaken once he comes out seems like a pretty amazing general purpose team. Think about it this way. You say that Thor is twice as effective as any other damage dealer. Therefore, lets build a team to support Thor! How do we support Thor? Well, Thor wants to match yellow and green and use up all of that precious AP. Daken wants to match green and have someone else use all of that AP. Falcon wants to match yellow and have someone use all of that AP. Therefore, the optimal strategy is:
    1. Match green.
    2. Then match yellow.
    3. ???
    4. Profit.

Add in random blue/purple ability sinks with Falcon/Daken, and I think you have a pretty good general purpose team.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, it really looks like he was built for synergies with lazy daken in mind
  • Spoit wrote:

i was thinking Captain America - cause you know, movie.
  • L45TN7 wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

Falcon boosting Cap's yellow protect tiles would be insane.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    I find it interesting that Falcon's blue can suppress at least one of the strike tiles given by Patch at the enemy
    Sure, it's still more reliable with Punisher than Patch.
    Anyways I am really curious to try him. I can't be sure that he will be well fitted but imo he is the more interesting of the recent characters.

... really, really curious indeed too bad we have to wait icon_e_wink.gif
  • I don't know, I think his synergy with Cap is pretty terrible. 19 yellow before you can get protect tiles out and then you have to match more yellow? Might as well go for the cheaper 12 purple. The 11 blue is cheap but, 3 turns before it converts.

But really, in the end you have 3 of 6 colours dedicated to protect tile skills. A bit overkill you think? I think Hood is the better support choice for Cap.

The only really synergy imo comes from Cap with higher health being able to tank for Falcon. You might say that Cap's Peacemaker always returning blue makes Falcon's passive always available, but 3/5/5 Cap can remove enemy tiles just fine already. Just way too much overlap imo.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Falcon on the surface probably works best with Black Panther. He boosts the strike tiles and defensive tiles of BP. and more than likely BP will be tanking for Falcon on yellow and blue.

However, unless Falcon's blue becomes insane at later levels. I'm assuming his yellow is just going to be % increases per level, and purple will be tile increases and strength increases per level. Blue, you can assume it will allow different types of tiles that Redwing can convert, it will probably allow maybe multiple, lower CD, less AP needed, etc but I really don't see Falcon being much more than a PvE character. Or a defensive team place holder in PvP.
  • L45TN7 wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

Yeah don't forget Steve Rogers has blue protect tiles as well as yellow ones, so yeah Falcon & Capn in a team with one other (Thor, OBW, IM40) or go with some other combination for fun. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • NorthernPolarity
    JusticeB wrote:
    L45TN7 wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

Yeah don't forget Steve Rogers has blue protect tiles as well as yellow ones, so yeah Falcon & Capn in a team with one other (Thor, OBW, IM40) or go with some other combination for fun. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Cap doesn't seem like he synergizes with Falcon very well. Cap's yellow is never going to be used at 19AP, so we're talking only about his blue defense tile, which has a lot of anti-synergies with Falcon.
    1. It's super slow. You need 12 blue AP to even cast the blue, and then you need to wait 3 turns before it actually sows up on the board.
    2. Cap only spawns one tile. Falcon's yellow affects 3+ tiles, so you aren't getting full value out of the ability if you're only impacting 1 tile.
    3. Boosting Caps tile doesn't really do much for you. Damage in this game is either small (match damage) or large (ability damage). Cap's tile is already strong enough to prevent all match damage, so the only thing boosting it will do for you is to prevent more ability damage, which doesn't really matter that much since preventing 100 more damage from an ability that does 2k damage is miniscule.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    If Cap places a countdown tile on top of Falcon's Redwing countdown, does that force redwing to come back and take out another enemy tile?
  • He'll have solid synergy with BP for sure. Yellow both lays out and increases strike tile strength. Blue lays out defense tiles and removes enemy tiles. Throw in a LT and you've got a nice rainbow team in place.
  • NorthernPolarity
    He'll have solid synergy with BP for sure. Yellow both lays out and increases strike tile strength. Blue lays out defense tiles and removes enemy tiles. Throw in a LT and you've got a nice rainbow team in place.

I'm not as convinced about his synergies with BP. The problem I see is that BP uses yellow/blue abilities to make the tiles. If you think about how a game would play out, lets say you wanted to use falcon to boost BPs strike tiles, which is the main application I see here since its generally better to boost strike tiles than it is defense tiles. This means that you need to make 3 yellow matches to get enough yellow for BPs tiles since you want strike tiles out ASAP, but that leads to 3 wasted Falcon triggers. This also means that you probably exhausted the board of most yellow matches, meaning that afterwards you would have a more difficult time finding yellows to boost the strike tiles. BPs blue doesn't seem that great either due to the same reasoning as Cap's blue: it takes too long to get going (2 turns after you get 9AP for a single, weak def tile and you need to wait 6 turns before you have 3 tiles to maximize Falcon's yellow) and boost defense tiles isn't necessarily useful since all it would be doing is preventing ability damage. Matching blues also makes it harder to get redwing online, but thats probably less of an issue since you only need 6 blue tiles on board to get him working in later levels.

Falcon definitely feels harder to evaluate than most characters because he actually doesn't work that well with any character that creates special tiles. He works best when the character produces 3+ offensive tiles (so boosting them will always have a good impact on the game) for relatively cheap AP costs that aren't yellow. He also wants a yellow user that can use the residual yellow AP gained from matching yellow for his passive. Phew, so many requirements for the character: I like it icon_e_biggrin.gif .
  • He'll have solid synergy with BP for sure. Yellow both lays out and increases strike tile strength. Blue lays out defense tiles and removes enemy tiles. Throw in a LT and you've got a nice rainbow team in place.

I'm not as convinced about his synergies with BP. The problem I see is that BP uses yellow/blue abilities to make the tiles. If you think about how a game would play out, lets say you wanted to use falcon to boost BPs strike tiles, which is the main application I see here since its generally better to boost strike tiles than it is defense tiles. This means that you need to make 3 yellow matches to get enough yellow for BPs tiles since you want strike tiles out ASAP, but that leads to 3 wasted Falcon triggers. This also means that you probably exhausted the board of most yellow matches, meaning that afterwards you would have a more difficult time finding yellows to boost the strike tiles. BPs blue doesn't seem that great either due to the same reasoning as Cap's blue: it takes too long to get going (2 turns after you get 9AP for a single, weak def tile and you need to wait 6 turns before you have 3 tiles to maximize Falcon's yellow) and boost defense tiles isn't necessarily useful since all it would be doing is preventing ability damage. Matching blues also makes it harder to get redwing online, but thats probably less of an issue since you only need 6 blue tiles on board to get him working in later levels.

Falcon definitely feels harder to evaluate than most characters because he actually doesn't work that well with any character that creates special tiles. He works best when the character produces 3+ offensive tiles (so boosting them will always have a good impact on the game) for relatively cheap AP costs that aren't yellow. He also wants a yellow user that can use the residual yellow AP gained from matching yellow for his passive. Phew, so many requirements for the character: I like it icon_e_biggrin.gif .

That's a good point. More damning than having to get 8 yellow then match more yellow, is that his strike tiles get placed on yellow, now that I think more about it. Falcon/LDaken/LT it is then!
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, remember Falcon's blue isn't really free, as it requires a minimum amount of blue AP to work. I disagree with myself from earlier, that BP is probably not going to be a good pairing since you have to match yellow to cast yellow to get the strike tile. Patch, Daken, Frank, Psylocke are good a parings for strike tiles, and there are the obvious defensive guys, BP, Cap, Bullseye, Magneto.

Now you also want someone with yellow to match, and from the postings I agree, L.Thor is probably the best combo. You get green, yellow, red. I think unless we get a hybrid strike tile/defensive tile creator you are either going to be using Falcon as on offensive booster or a defensive booster.

Offensively
    Falcon,L.Thor, Psylocke. (this is if you are going for full rainbow)

Defnsively
    Falcon, L.Cap, Black Panther--literal tank team,

Hybrid
    Falcon, L.Cap, Punisher. This will give you a mix of offensive and defensive tile boosts
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I'm surprised Patch Wolverine didn't land anywhere on that list. His strike tiles are already obscenely strong, and having them boosted is a little more than nuts. Of course, Falcon removes the enemy strike tiles you created.

My suggested team would be Patch Wolverine, Falcon, and The Hood. The Hood is great utility (despite being glass) because of his AP steal. He can use his black to drop the countdown on Redwing, or he can use his Yellow to destroy the Redwing tile AND gather more AP.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Katai wrote:
    I'm surprised Patch Wolverine didn't land anywhere on that list. His strike tiles are already obscenely strong, and having them boosted is a little more than nuts. Of course, Falcon removes the enemy strike tiles you created.

My suggested team would be Patch Wolverine, Falcon, and The Hood. The Hood is great utility (despite being glass) because of his AP steal. He can use his black to drop the countdown on Redwing, or he can use his Yellow to destroy the Redwing tile AND gather more AP.

Copy pasted from before: I actually don't think Patch/falcon is going to be that good. The thing with Patch is that if you're making yellow matches after rage, then you're getting hit with opponent's rage tiles. The whole point of Patch tiles is for you to C. Mags spam them to death immediately afterwards. It also seems overkill since once you rage, you shouldn't need any extra help to win with that spam. Patch is also going to be laying down 6 green tiles with 5/3/5, which means that redwing is going to take forever to clear out the tiles. I think the team you proposed would just be too squishy. You zerker rage them, remove a single tile with redwing, and then proceed to take heavy damage from the rest of the strike tiles that you give them. Patch really needs defensive support to mitigate his tiles, and I don't think that Falcon does enough in that respect. If you're going 3/5/5 Patch, then you might as well be running Punisher who synergizes much better with Falcon imo.
  • Interesting. Just noticed he's got the exact some colors as Spidey. I wonder if then they would make a decent team