Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

Unknown
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
Does anyone else play this? I just got it last week and love it despite only playing solo so far. I'll definitely be ordering some of the expansions and can't wait to try it out with some friends.

My only previous experience with deck builders was Dominion but I do love strategy games in general: Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Settler's of Catan, Kingdom Builder, Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, etc...

I would definitely recommend it to any marvel fan that enjoys these types of table top board games (or Dominion).

Comments

• LordWill
    LordWill Posts: 341
    Hey there.

You could try out my site and see if you get any takers. My site helps connects gamers together. D&D, Magic the gathering, or whatever game you are into.

You can post that you are looking for more players in your area. The site is totally free.

I just upgraded the site over the past 3 weeks, still working on it as I have changed the way it works and using Google maps now as the format. So its not all polished yet since the upgrade. It's working and functional.

http://www.rpggamefind.com
  • Marvel Legendary is pretty fun, although it suffers from what i see as a thematic problem. Each player is building a deck out of a team of super-heroes, so it never feels as if you're controlling a specific Marvel toon. The Resident Evil Deck Building game (now dead) was also an excellent deck-building game in which each player had his or her own character and built a deck for that character. It also didn't (totally) use a randomized supply pile; the random helicarrier recruitment options in Legendary make the strategy and competition in the game very uneven.

Still fun to play, mind you. Emma Frost and Gambit are probably my faves from the base set.
  • Moon 17 wrote:
    Marvel Legendary is pretty fun, although it suffers from what i see as a thematic problem. Each player is building a deck out of a team of super-heroes, so it never feels as if you're controlling a specific Marvel toon. The Resident Evil Deck Building game (now dead) was also an excellent deck-building game in which each player had his or her own character and built a deck for that character. It also didn't (totally) use a randomized supply pile; the random helicarrier recruitment options in Legendary make the strategy and competition in the game very uneven.

Still fun to play, mind you. Emma Frost and Gambit are probably my faves from the base set.

If you're looking for a (non-Marvel) superhero building tabletop game, I recommend you check out Heroes of Metro City

http://www.heroesofmetrocity.com/
  • Hey Beezer, I didn't realize you boardgamed! My Rajj and Ferret are all table-toppers, as well, though we live on opposite sides of the country.

Rajj loved Legendary; I really want to try it. I tried the DC Deckbuilding game with my daughters, but it felt 'off' somehow. I thought it was fine, but just didn't grab me.

Also, Sentinels of the Multiverse is supposed to be quite fun.
  • Beezer - someday I will show you who the true ruler of Catan is!
  • dlaw008 wrote:
    Hey Beezer, I didn't realize you boardgamed! My Rajj and Ferret are all table-toppers, as well, though we live on opposite sides of the country.

Rajj loved Legendary; I really want to try it. I tried the DC Deckbuilding game with my daughters, but it felt 'off' somehow. I thought it was fine, but just didn't grab me.

Got in to it last summer. A friend introduced me to Powergrid/Settlers/TTR and I haven't looked back.

Then I convinced my parents and sister to change family card night to board game night. My mom isn't the best with English so convincing her she will understand a game is difficult. We've been playing TTR for over half a year now, once a week, and just now introduced her to Settlers. Second game with that coming up tonight and the next step is getting her to try 7 Wonders.

@pandaberry, if you and the fam are even in Reno we'll have to get together for some Catan fun!
  • dlaw008 wrote:
    Hey Beezer, I didn't realize you boardgamed! My Rajj and Ferret are all table-toppers, as well, though we live on opposite sides of the country.

I work at a board/card game store but haven't played it myself, but I've heard that the newer version of the DC game is alot better. Sentinals was ok but not great, didn't seem very deep, but there are expansions now i think so maybe it's improved.
  • NotYou13
    NotYou13 Posts: 104
    Legendary's pretty good, but I think it suffers from some pretty serious balancing issues. I would much rather play Ascension or Dominion when it comes to deck builders, although Legendary is fun as a change of pace sometimes.

• Power Grid

BEST ... GAME ... EVER

I miss my night playing board games with friend. I have around 60 boxes icon_e_smile.gif

(You know you can play quite all the game u mention online, against human ?)
  • +1 on Sentinels of the Multiverse for Hero card games, not sure if thats a category. Expansions really help out with adding some depth to it. Give it a shot!
  • I love Legendary but for me it suffers, although to a lesser extent, the same problem as Arkham Horror (another great game) in that it seems to take as long to set up as it does to play. So it's great for a marathon gaming night, but if you're just wanting to sit down and play a quick one it's just not worth the effort.

The DC Deck Building Game, I don't enjoy nearly as much, but it's a much quicker play so that's good.
  • looks pretty cool will check this out
  • I love Legendary but for me it suffers, although to a lesser extent, the same problem as Arkham Horror (another great game) in that it seems to take as long to set up as it does to play. So it's great for a marathon gaming night, but if you're just wanting to sit down and play a quick one it's just not worth the effort.

The DC Deck Building Game, I don't enjoy nearly as much, but it's a much quicker play so that's good.

I agree, the setup is the biggest chore of this game, but it's fun once it gets going. I'm wishing they would release a digital version on the PC or something, so the setup can just be automated randomly, or you can manually select schemes and heroes.
  • Hey everyone, i just realized that my FlickR account has more than enough space (I think?) to host every ones sigs if they need me to...

So yeah, just let me know if you can't find a place to host yours...