When to stop playing?

Options
I've been playing MPQ for 90 days already...
it's so addictive that it kinda disrupt my evening reading habit.
I have a fully upgraded Punisher, Patch, Ares, OBW, Magneto MN etc (the rest r pretty generic with all the others)
and given the recent event and prize, there's really not so much incentive for me to keep playing. i just dunno what i'm playing for.
I figure that there's no way i can get more 3 star covers without playing competitive and playing for hours and hours. Even if i want to spend money to get them, i won't be able to get all the covers I want. Not to mention I need to spend at least 200-300K to fully upgrade a 3star character. So really, what's the for me to keep playing?

For the record, I got a lot of Hawkeye in the past event which I have no use of...

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What do all men want? More.
  • deathprize wrote:
    Not to mention I need to spend at least 200-300K to fully upgrade a 3star character. So really, what's the for me to keep playing?
    Introspection is the key. There are tens of thousands of games freely available. Why are you playing this one? Figure out why you play it, figure out what makes it fun for you, and then see if there are other games that would better scratch that itch. No one can tell you why to play or why to leave.

For me, I like the journey. I like the spending of ISO, I like the accumulation of covers. It's just fun and appeals to the near-OCD aspects of my personality. Plus, Marvel, so good flavoring.

According to my spreadsheet, I've purchased 1930 levels of the 2485 levels available with my current covers. Fully covered would mean I have a total of 3838 levels. Do I ever think I'll reach those numbers? Not a chance. But the scenery on this treadmill is constantly changing and I'm enjoying it, so I keep playing.
  • I am having a similar crisis right now, not so much because I don't enjoy the collecting and matching, but more so the events being very time dictating, especially the pve events where due to rubberbanding the last couple hours are 100% neccesary. I have already talked with my alliance and am going to either look at only playing pvp, where I can play when I want, then shield up when I dont want to play, or possibly just take a huge hiatus.
  • The influx of new characters is very exciting for me cause it switches up the dynamics of team compositions a lot.

You the poster have done much better than me in terms of upgrading. I invested heavily in 2* roster and only now at day 115 have I gotten up Psylocke to level 125.

My main team has finally shifted away from Thor, C.Storm, OBW and MN.Mags.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I've more or less quit due to dissatisfaction with the game. Too many time restrictions, constant negative changes to reward structures, less 3* covers, "win-more" alliance prize structures, less 2* covers, loss of HP progression rewards, botched progression rewards, etc. etc. etc. The aggregate of changes has kneecapped my HP earnings and the constant stream of new 3* heroes has just fractured my roster and made actual progress harder. Less 2* tokens, bad event 2* tokens, reduced drops from lightning events and worse 2* pack drops, I could go on an on. Right at the time that meaningful rewards became scarce (my 2* roster was nearly done, and I'd finished a number of specific 3* covers where builds only require 3-4), changes made covers harder to acquire in half a dozen distinct ways. I should note that I currently have ALL the components necessary to progress and succeed at an optimal rate: I had top tier, high level 2* heroes and several 3* heroes at 9-10 covers, I have every 3* hero (for required hero events), and an actively managed MMR so I can top 10 anything, and an Alliance that was just breaking into top 100 results. I've learned the tricks of PVP bracketing, rubberbanding and so forth so that my top finishes were easier and easier with less time commitment (although still hours of commitment). I had everything the devs intend for optimal progression. Despite all that, the grind became frustrating and unrewarding.

I invited my alliance to drop me (I had a small amount of PVE points, but they likely could do better), and I haven't played in 3 days and I feel better and better about not playing. I might come back in a week or so for a few rounds, but I think I'm done being a daily player.
  • When the fun stops.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you're having trouble progressing, you can always just stop playing for the tournaments that have covers you don't care about and focus on the ones that you want to build: that would save you a lot of time I think.
  • When i die... Although i will try and find a way to continue.
  • Here is what I advise - and it's done me well with regards to not eating up all my other time.

Play other games. During the last few hours of any given event, play it for a bit if you want the covers, or want to help your alliance secure the top 100 cover, otherwise keep playing X-com or Dark Souls or Halo or whatever floats your boat (maybe doing something productive, woah-nelly!). You know how much time I put in to the first round of Venom heroics? Less than 4, and they were all the last 4 hours of the actual event. I received enough covers to push my 2/2/2 cap to 3/5/5 (the PvP also helped with this). Basically - just try to control what kind of bracket you end up in, and you'll have a much better time. Note that sometimes this means just joining the event at the right time, and then once more playing near the end... last 3 hour brackets for PvP aren't the best advice I've given.
  • i mean, there's really not too much of a hope to get the covers that you really want. Just no hope. I remember when I first started the game, I got Spidey, Mag, IM40, in the first month of playing. Since then, I'm stuck with only 2-3 covers of each character. You just basically won't spend ISO on them unless you have more covers. And I haven't seen any covers of them since then unless you spend 1100 Gold to buy a single pack but even so, it may give you a Ragnok.

I like playing this game because I'm a marvel fan. And I'm a "completionist". I like to collect covers, not all but the covers that I want. And once you reached 90 days of playing this game, you basically collected all the 1 n 2 star covers, and a lot of 3 stars that you can't use because you only have a few color of each. But what really can you do about it? Say i want to get a blue Spidy. Just how? There's really no hope to get that unless you grind the Shield Training to reach 3000 pts but the reality is, the Shield Training is a dead end. No one really play it. ANd even if you reach certain point, you will be attacked overnight and drop you a few hundred pts easily.

I really like the game. and my goal is just to spend 100 gold each day on the Heoric package and see how my luck goes. And once i used off all the golds, i'll call it a quit. May sound silly to some of you, but I think I should end my 90 days of MPQ just like this and never look back. I'm sure the developer is going to throw out another money sucking character in near future. But i'm happy and thankful for the joy MPQ had given me for the past 90 days.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    deathprize wrote:
    i mean, there's really not too much of a hope to get the covers that you really want. Just no hope. I remember when I first started the game, I got Spidey, Mag, IM40, in the first month of playing. Since then, I'm stuck with only 2-3 covers of each character. You just basically won't spend ISO on them unless you have more covers. And I haven't seen any covers of them since then unless you spend 1100 Gold to buy a single pack but even so, it may give you a Ragnok.

I like playing this game because I'm a marvel fan. And I'm a "completionist". I like to collect covers, not all but the covers that I want. And once you reached 90 days of playing this game, you basically collected all the 1 n 2 star covers, and a lot of 3 stars that you can't use because you only have a few color of each. But what really can you do about it? Say i want to get a blue Spidy. Just how? There's really no hope to get that unless you grind the Shield Training to reach 3000 pts but the reality is, the Shield Training is a dead end. No one really play it. ANd even if you reach certain point, you will be attacked overnight and drop you a few hundred pts easily.

I really like the game. and my goal is just to spend 100 gold each day on the Heoric package and see how my luck goes. And once i used off all the golds, i'll call it a quit. May sound silly to some of you, but I think I should end my 90 days of MPQ just like this and never look back. I'm sure the developer is going to throw out another money sucking character in near future. But i'm happy and thankful for the joy MPQ had given me for the past 90 days.

Yeah... you can't expect to collect the covers of a 3* that you want because that's just not how progression works in this game. When you're in the 2->3* transition, you take what you can get, and people typically complete the transition by choosing characters that are heavily featured in current events (Cap for instance, has 3 sets of covers offered this past week). The road to all the 3* covers is a long and slow process, but you'll get there eventually with enough persistence. Having a "I want exactly this one character" attitude isn't going to get you far at all though, so I guess this is the end of the road for you.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    deathprize wrote:
    I've been playing MPQ for 90 days already...
    it's so addictive that it kinda disrupt my evening reading habit.
    I have a fully upgraded Punisher, Patch, Ares, OBW, Magneto MN etc (the rest r pretty generic with all the others)
    and given the recent event and prize, there's really not so much incentive for me to keep playing. i just dunno what i'm playing for.
    I figure that there's no way i can get more 3 star covers without playing competitive and playing for hours and hours. Even if i want to spend money to get them, i won't be able to get all the covers I want. Not to mention I need to spend at least 200-300K to fully upgrade a 3star character. So really, what's the for me to keep playing?

For the record, I got a lot of Hawkeye in the past event which I have no use of...
    You'll leave when you get so fed up the thought of having to trudge through another event will keep you from ever clicking on the app. And you will be a better (wo)man for it.
    Not everyone wants do turn a game into a job. and when MPQ becomes more work than it is fun, its time to go.
  • Due to the sheer number of 3* there is no possible way to rotate them all equally. Some 3* has to be the one that hasn't been available as a prize for a while.

Outside of Spiderman and Magneto (who is guaranteed to be obtainable in LR, at least for now), I feel there's a good enough of a distribution of heroes. Sure, lazy Thor towers over all 3*, but if you pulled say, Psylocke, she's serviceable until you have someone better.