*** Human Torch (Classic) ***

Comments

• gamar wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Rorex wrote:
    Got my Human Torch 4/3/1 to lvl 57 making him effectively lvl 86 for the Hot Shot Tourney and he is crazy fast. Been running him with OBW and Hood. If you can feed HT he is unstopable. His Fireball is doing 1621 damage for 6 AP, inferno 8x88 704/turn for 10AP.

The more I play Torch the more its obvious that he is going to be the best Character to starve an enemy of red. There are plenty of times when I am playing and there are no red on the board. Which would make Dr. Doom, Daken, and 2* Wolvie substantially less useful.

But on defense he sucks. The AI will use his green right away and it's terible, the mintue you get 5 Green it casts it, and red is never guarenteed since a lot of other's run 8 red AP damage too. I agree offensively he is quite good, but defensively his a big liability right now.

I'm waiting to run into a team running him with 3* characters to see how well he works on defense, which I haven't yet in Hotshot. If Phantron's theorycrafting is accurate, pairing him with Punisher or Patch means the AI will usually opt for Judgement or Rage, but pairing him with Thor will make the AI frequently pop the Flame Jet.

I have run into plenty of 3* teams and Punisher never drops Judgement. It costs 8 Green AP while HTs cost 5. AI uses Flame jet every time. If you use Punisher the only thing he is going to be using on defense is Molotov. Its way to easy for HT to starve the AI of Red especially with Hood in the line up. In about 40 matches I have only see the AI get to use a red power once and that was versus a HT/Punisher/OBW team where the AI stole from me then used Fireball. All of this is true for Patch as well.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    So if I was going to spend HP to try to actually get some levels on him for the heroic mode, which ones should I buy? Red? black?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Spoit wrote:
    So if I was going to spend HP to try to actually get some levels on him for the heroic mode, which ones should I buy? Red? black?

Hivemind seems to go with red as the main color to max to 5 right now since it doesn't hurt your own team and does a ton of damage. Green or black probably do more constant damage while actually in the heroic though, so theres that to consider. I think it's red if you're going for long term viability.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Does the red ability trigger or disarm Dare Devil traps when it destroys the 2 red tiles?
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    any tile destroying ability disarms traps.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Having played HT now for a bit I can honestly say, I'm a bit underwhelmed. I love his red, black isn't terrible either, and while I appreciate the fire feeding aspect of green, I just don't like it, and man 1 AP a turn adds up. I think defensively HT is a liability on defensive battles, because he is going to always take green, so you are going to have to pair him up with someone that can either get him green to feed him, or have no green period. Hood seems interesting enough, he can quickly feed HT before the Hood gets killed, and sometimes that's enough. I will say he HT pairs amazing well with Spider-Man they compliment each other very well since they don't take any color and Spider-Man can keep the more fragile HT safe.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    I've only played around with him in the PvE, but he kind of reminds me of Psylocke. A damage-dealing third wheel in a party. You're not going to build a team around him, but he's not useless either.

Green is probably my favorite ability of his.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, after some days, do you think this is a good character, worth leveling/investing? I am still undecided, and wondering what to do with him... Good for offense bad for defense?
  • Phaserhawk
    Polares wrote:
    So, after some days, do you think this is a good character, worth leveling/investing? I am still undecided, and wondering what to do with him... Good for offense bad for defense?

He's good, he's worth decent lvling just for the sake of his red skill. His biggest drawback is that he conflicts with a lot of characters. And that comes down to being red, black, green (the third one) and his green has an upkeep. When the player uses him he is unbelievable, but...when playing defense, the AI fires out his green because it only costs 5 and it might do one tick of damage, then just sits there waiting to get blown up. I think he could be great in time, when a few more characters come out with different color comps that don't conflict with what he is.
  • Running mine at 5/5/3. Red and Black are too awesome to pass up but green is better served by others (Patch/LazyThor/Punisher).
  • In the event of an unlucky cascade by the AI and the AI gets 30 green on its turn...

And the AI comprises of 3 characters that uses Green (example: HT/Punisher/LT)...

Does the AI use all 3 of its Green skills or does it pick the highest costing one?
  • Phaserhawk
    Doragon wrote:
    In the event of an unlucky cascade by the AI and the AI gets 30 green on its turn...

And the AI comprises of 3 characters that uses Green (example: HT/Punisher/LT)...

Does the AI use all 3 of its Green skills or does it pick the highest costing one?

I could be dead wrong, but when stuff like that happens to me, the AI seems to look to cast the highest AP color with the avaiable AP.

Using your example, the Green's are HT-5, Pun-8, LT-14

If you have a Cascade and get 10 Green AP, I think it looks to cast LT first, it can't, then goes to Pun, it has enough it casts. But if no cascade and you get to 6 Green AP, it looks, LT, no, Pun, no, HT yes. So in your situation of 30 Green AP I think it would look to LT first, leaving 16 now I'm not sure but I think then it looks to Punisher, and will cast Judgement, then resasses and then see it still has enough and cast HT's green.
  • The AI will use the highest one it can first, but then the next selection is subject to the usual 'save up for next ability'. Let's take the scenario we have:

30 green AP with LT/Punisher/HT.

It'll use LT's Call the Storm (14) with 16g left.

Then it'll try to use Call the Storm again, but it's not allowed to do that, so then it looks at Punisher, and then it makes a roll to decide if it should save up or not. If it decides to not save up, then it uses Judgment. Now it'll have 8g left.

Now with 8g left, both Call the Storm and Judgment is out. It still has to make the check on 'save AP'. If it decides to not save AP again, then it'll use Flame Jet.
  • @ phantron
    I know you're quite familiar with how the AI handles AP however I have myself observed the AI save up red to use Ares red over Ragnark red.. It is also my observation that the AI will choose an ability to start with, and until that ability is ready, it waits. Then it will unleash all abilities at once.

So either the chosen ability is a higher cost AP ability
    or
    the chosen ability was denied until the other colors were substantially obtained, so that when the chosen ability is used, the more expensive of the remaining abilities are used.
  • I wanted to ask about HT black. It's supposed to turn up to 8 basic tiles into attack tiles. What situation would casuse less than 8 to appear? I just had a battle where i used the ability, but only 4 attack tiles were placed.
  • Highdark
    Highdark Posts: 75 Match Maker
    I dont know if this has been said, but his red also generates two red ap.
  • Highdark wrote:

He shatters two red gems as part of his ability, which generates the two red AP.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    Bugpop wrote:
    @ phantron
    I know you're quite familiar with how the AI handles AP however I have myself observed the AI save up red to use Ares red over Ragnark red.. It is also my observation that the AI will choose an ability to start with, and until that ability is ready, it waits. Then it will unleash all abilities at once.

or
    the chosen ability was denied until the other colors were substantially obtained, so that when the chosen ability is used, the more expensive of the remaining abilities are used.

Well since it's rare for the AI to actually have enough AP to use multiple moves of the same color it's obviously a conjecture, but I seem to recall in my games against Yelena in Heroic Oscorp where she had 30 purple (from 2 purple feeder), she'd use Lethal Recon every round, and yet her helpers wouldn't be using Silent Strike (5 purple AP) even though she's got more than enough left to use it, so I think even if the AI could use multiple abilities at once, it's still subject to the 'saving' roll it makes that prevents it from just immediately spending all its AP on the cheapest ability.

For your HT question, HT's 8 attack tiles are always in the same location, so if any of those location is not a basic color tile (special tile or environment), it wouldn't convert them. His attack tiles always appear like this, where O is the attack tile:

XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXOOXXX
    XXOXXOXX
    XXOXXOXX
    XXXOOXXX
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX
  • Highdark wrote:

All abilities that destroy tiles generate AP, unless they say otherwise, at least in theory.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Bugpop wrote:
    @ phantron

or

Well since it's rare for the AI to actually have enough AP to use multiple moves of the same color it's obviously a conjecture, but I seem to recall in my games against Yelena in Heroic Oscorp where she had 30 purple (from 2 purple feeder), she'd use Lethal Recon every round, and yet her helpers wouldn't be using Silent Strike (5 purple AP) even though she's got more than enough left to use it, so I think even if the AI could use multiple abilities at once, it's still subject to the 'saving' roll it makes that prevents it from just immediately spending all its AP on the cheapest ability.

For your HT question, HT's 8 attack tiles are always in the same location, so if any of those location is not a basic color tile (special tile or environment), it wouldn't convert them. His attack tiles always appear like this, where O is the attack tile:

XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXOOXXX
    XXOXXOXX
    XXOXXOXX
    XXXOOXXX
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX

Screenshot_2014_04_12_21_49_36.png

Posting to serve as confirmation