Do you root for your competition?

Options
Clintman
Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
edited April 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I have been sitting here for the last hour while Plik from Terrandominion has pushed his way up to the #2 spot very capably. I have been rooting for him while watching him climb. I do not expect him to close that 100 point gap from 890 to 990 but I do have Punisher stationed at the top of the ladder ready to shoot him if he gets close.

That being said, I know he is at supreme risk for getting swarmed by the zombies, and I am rooting for him.

If he managed to take first, I could not complain. I have to say, I would rather respect the brutal finish.

Comments

• I like the amount of detail you gave. It gave me an image of a hopeless player defying all odds while using his elite team of characters to fend off the zombie attacks just a little longer until a helicopter can save him from a bomb that's about to blow the whole city.

All MPQ veterans had to go through that at one point in their early days. It brings back the nightmares of not knowing if you're going to get that brand new barely released 2* cap cover.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I was rooting for Bee a bit since he shielded and unshielded so many times, competing with #1 of our bracket, but I also had to worry about my own pts. Funnily enough Plik of Terran Dominion came up in my queue, I wanted to ask if they're shielded, went to TD's alliance thread, found nothing by Plik, waited, waited. Then just fought an easier matchup with a person I never heard of in the last 3 minutes.
  • locked wrote:
    I was rooting for Bee a bit since he shielded and unshielded so many times, competing with #1 of our bracket, but I also had to worry about my own pts. Funnily enough Plik of Terran Dominion came up in my queue, I wanted to ask if they're shielded, went to TD's alliance thread, found nothing by Plik, waited, waited. Then just fought an easier matchup with a person I never heard of in the last 3 minutes.
    I always skip some people from the forums that I like and I always attack some other people that I like. Most of Shield I will attack, because I think their competitive nature actually would enjoy that. On the other hand, most of Scavengers I will skip, if I remember, because I don't think they would enjoy that.

As far as rooting goes, I don't too often find myself rooting for individuals, but often for alliances. I like to see forum alliances do well. Embarrassingly, I often root against Shield and 5DV out of pure underdog syndrome. I would love to see Scavengers or Ace of Blades or someone give them a run for the money.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    My favourite quote on the subject would be by Vinny from Atlantis: The Lost Empire:

We done a lot of things we're not proud of. Robbing graves, eh, plundering tombs, double parking. But, nobody got hurt. Well, maybe somebody got hurt, but nobody we knew.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    not usually, and I certainly didn't root for you when you knocked me down today just as I was trying to crack the 800 icon_e_wink.gif
  • I generally avoid hitting forum goers that I recognize. That being said, if we're in the same bracket and you're encroaching on my spot you better believe I'm going to hit you.
    Otherwise, I'll always root for a good push.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Other than alliance-mates, I think the only person I've really truly rooted for was MarvelBen in the first Elite Tourney. He was in the running for top 3 and I tried very hard to make sure that he didn't kick me out of the top 3 and I hit him multiple times to do so. He had a pretty squishy roster for the tournament (Thorverine + GSBW, I believe.)

He kept on trying, leaving himself unshielded for a long time and dropped out of the top 10 very quickly. I felt...a little bad, since he was definitely the underdog with his roster and I definitely picked on him.

In the last 15ish minutes of the tournament, MarvelBen squeaked back into the top 10, barely holding on. He dropped in and out as the minutes went on and in what felt like the last few seconds of the tournament, came back into the top 10! I was so proud of this person I didn't know and bullied just an hour before.
  • Eff that mess.

Kill or be killed.

If you're 20+ i'm gonna attack you.

If you attack me I will retaliate (unless you're less than <15, even then i might still retaliate out of spite)

I do skip alliance members unless they're shielded.

Mercy is for the weak, sweep the leg, put em in body bags.

I only root collectively for players in my tier to catch up so I have higher value attacks.
  • Well, I root for everyone who is not in the top ten and also not currently attacking me
  • M1Lance
    M1Lance Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Eff that mess.

Kill or be killed.

If you're 20+ i'm gonna attack you.

If you attack me I will retaliate (unless you're less than <15, even then i might still retaliate out of spite)

I do skip alliance members unless they're shielded.

I only root collectively for players in my tier to catch up so I have higher value attacks.

My thoughts exactly, unless you are in my alliance you are in my crosshairs
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dlaw008 wrote:
    locked wrote:
    I always skip some people from the forums that I like and I always attack some other people that I like. Most of Shield I will attack, because I think their competitive nature actually would enjoy that. On the other hand, most of Scavengers I will skip, if I remember, because I don't think they would enjoy that.

As far as rooting goes, I don't too often find myself rooting for individuals, but often for alliances. I like to see forum alliances do well. Embarrassingly, I often root against Shield and 5DV out of pure underdog syndrome. I would love to see Scavengers or Ace of Blades or someone give them a run for the money.

Aww dlaw! You so sweet. The scavenger/django bromance has clearly shown them they don't want none in pve though. And ace of blades SCHOOLED them in that meme tourney. We got hp for that right? RIGHT?! icon_e_sad.gif

I found myself rooting for an alliance mate I saw in a lightning rd tonight. When I came in I saw he was top ten, I climbed up and he kept going up, I started catching up to him and we were both top 10. It's cool when you've got teammates in the top 10. Qtquazar and I were top 5 a few tourneys back (the one were all the scavengers were in the same bracket, haha) also cool

Likewise, if I see someone from the forums I generally wish them well, especially if they're part of my cross alliance creeper network. Interestingly enough, I don't so much mind when I see s.h.i.e.l.d members and their crazy high pts. They seem like decent folk, they just happen to have crazy rosters and obsessive tendencies. Nothing wrong with that. If anything when I see them after I hit skip i realize in horror that they can probably see ME now and hope they'll leave me alone.

So in summation, go ace of blades, go forum, don't hurt me s.h.i.e.l.d
  • dlaw008 wrote:
    locked wrote:

Aww dlaw! You so sweet. The scavenger/django bromance has clearly shown them they don't want none in pve though. And ace of blades SCHOOLED them in that meme tourney. We got hp for that right? RIGHT?! icon_e_sad.gif
    Awwwwwwwww :-*
    I think next time dlaw will show on my radar, I'll purposefully retreat to Him.

He's soooooooooo cute!!!!!11
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As some of you probably know, getting a new reputation rank is my favorite thing ever. I once likened it to getting a gold token in game

In a fit of sweet irony I just got my 80th pt because I got upped by Clintman, who I was tied with at 79!

Yes there are reputation leaderboards, don't judge me. It's only a matter of them before that's the new meta game. It's a little harder to root for forum members in that though...

Anyways, thanks Clintman!
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    I don't often see more than a couple names I recognize in my PvP brackets, but I'll root for fellow Djangoliers and friendly forumites. I'll also root for the "let's have fun" alliances I'm familiar with.

Beyond the Django Admiration, Respect, Love & Intimacy Network Group (D.A.R.L.I.N.G.) affiliates who've outed themselves here, I'll root for alliances like F2P Veterans and MisfitRightIn, because I like their respective premises. CareBearStare, because name. Others because reasons. In PvP, I don't root for S.H.I.E.L.D, because they don't need it at all, and because seeing them in my nodes makes me think "This is your MMR. This is your MMR on drugs." In PvE, I've sometimes rooted for S.H.I.E.L.D ("Yeah! Rubberband the f--- out of that minikitten!").

I sometimes momentarily root for the random weak players I get matched with due to my MMR tanking ("I was you once! Stay the course!"), then I beat up on them. I imagine that's how most of S.H.I.E.L.D feels most of the time... or they're all unfeeling sociopaths. Either is possible. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Eff that mess.

Kill or be killed...

Public service announcement for all non-[Just] mobile players: please disable location tracking on your devices. icon_lol.gif
  • I generally root for the competition in my brackets. I don't really go for top spot because the 4* guys will not get levelled anytime soon. It is fun watching people really go for it. I only tend to push someone for first to see how far they would go like in the last PVP. It was a fun scramble at the end and I just got hit at the wrong time I finish the match 5 seconds earlier and I would have taken first comfortably. However Scavengers in a few events have had my backing also have to give a mention to the wrecking crew.